• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you like other people with autism

Generally no, that's because can't relate to them despite society saying that I "should". They tend to have personal philosophies I can't put up with.

I don't have any autistic friends but i wish i had since i don't have much in common with my nt friends. The person i feel closest to in this world is an autistic person, my dad.

I avoid most autistic people in real life because the ones I know are too negative, sensitive, stubborn, self-absorbed, inflexible, inhibited, anxious, dull, or boring. I like being around positive, flexible, open minded people who are attentive to others and aren't afraid to be themselves because they're more fun to be around.

I don't mind autistic traits or odd quirks at all. It's the neuroticism/emotional problems that are difficult to deal with especially since they could overcome them if they made an effort.

I avoid most autistic people in real life because the ones I know are too negative, sensitive, stubborn, self-absorbed, inflexible, inhibited, anxious, dull, or boring. I like being around positive, flexible, open minded people who are attentive to others and aren't afraid to be themselves because they're more fun to be around.

I don't mind autistic traits or odd quirks at all. It's the neuroticism/emotional problems that are difficult to deal with especially since they could overcome them if they made an effort.
THat is nasty ,sounds like hate,so why you even on this website if that's how you feel:(

I have some autistic friends and some NT friends. I'm friends with people who are kind and compassionate and friendly, who have compatible personalities and interests. I don't really care if they're autistic or not, although I do tend to get along with other autistic people too.

It's the neuroticism/emotional problems that are difficult to deal with especially since they could overcome them if they made an effort.

For some people, it is a much greater effort than others. I'm not sure it is always possible.

Making that effort requires realizing that an effort needs to be made. There are a lot of people who think that making an effort to change is wrong and the world should accept us exactly as we are. That philosophy is quite comforting to many.

Personally, I hate being involuntarily unique. I'd shave off 40 points of IQ and several years of my life if it could just be "normal" and "well adjusted." But such things are not possible, so I do what I can to get by. I find that people who share my interests are more likely to be autistic. Still, most of my friends are NTs because that is what most of humanity is.

Yes.

Let me elaborate. Let me rephrase that.

Yeah course i do mate. you havin me on like. course i do. you know wot i mean.

My mother is autistic, I like her a lot. We can talk about pretty much anything. We don't really share any moral principles but she dislikes seeing people and animals in pain and that's really all I need.
Everyone is messed up and broken in some way or another, if you can hold compassion for your own flaws you can do so for others. As a result I get along with just about anyone that hangs out with me long enough (a decently strong filter in its own right). A lot of people out there are rarely treated kindly or like normal people. I enjoy being the one to do so when I manage.

I have a friend that is autistic so I don't dislike others who also have autism obviously.

My mother is autistic, I like her a lot. We can talk about pretty much anything. We don't really share any moral principles but she dislikes seeing people and animals in pain and that's really all I need.
Everyone is messed up and broken in some way or another, if you can hold compassion for your own flaws you can do so for others. As a result I get along with just about anyone that hangs out with me long enough (a decently strong filter in its own right). A lot of people out there are rarely treated kindly or like normal people. I enjoy being the one to do so when I manage.
My mother, niece, uncle and older sister are very likely also autistic.

I have a really hard time connecting to other autistics. My stepson is, and I can't talk to him at all- I mean, both of us are very minimally speaking, but it's like- he struggles with the same things I do, and neither one of us can bridge that gap.
I'm not really good with any humans, but I do find other autistics to be harder, because a lot of the things that make ME hard to deal with are the same things that they have. I don't have any friends at all, nt or nd, so I probably don't count, but in trying to communicate, I definitely have a harder time with nd people. It's nothing against them, I mean, I am too. but there's a two way communication struggle that I just can't seem to circumvent.

It's not that I don't like others with autism,...I've met many wonderful people over the years,...co-workers and students. It's more that with both of us having autism,...it's really, really hard to converse and have those bonding moments. It's especially difficult to be a true friend with an autistic. It's like there's this invisible wall up. As an autistic myself, I understand the long list of reasons why, so I give them some grace, because I know it's not an intentional thing. That said, in my personal experience, if I want to get something done in a timely manner,...and done with thoroughness and attention to detail,...the autistic mind is desired.

I may not understand neurotypical behaviors all the time,...but, it can be easier to be around neurotypicals, if for no other reason, they can carry the conversation. Less likelihood of uncomfortable silences.

Yes & no.
Yes.
I gravitated toward other (likely) autistics in elementary & high school. I have an easy communication with my 2e son, too.

No. On occasion, I have met those who are so convinced about the superiority of their opinions about their [special interest] that they could not tolerate those with a dissenting opinion on such matters.

I have a track record of being right in so many things (certainly not all), but I don't make agreement a requirement for being friends. Many auties seem okay with that, but not all are.

Since people with autism are all unique individuals I can’t really say whether or not I like them. It’s much the same as with the general population: I like some of them and I dislike others.
It’s all about personality, values and beliefs for me, regardless of neurodevelopmental make up.

I have found out that many of the people that dont judge/dislike me may also have autists traits. Im not sure if they are autists or not, but they dont work in human groups either.

So generally speaking I would say that I appreciate those autists traits.

I have never meet someone who is "so clearly autistic" to test if there is some "degree" of autism that makes me feel not wanting to conversate or share ideas. So I dont think that would be a problem.

I have more problems with very judgamental people, I mask with them. Some very judgamental people are NT and others are not. I am so used to mask that I tend to just practice at understanding their points of view. So even if there is no special bond, I have no problems to just share some time with those people. They usually appreciate that I listen to them and share some advices with me so I can improve my life or behave more properly (like them).

I just cant stand evil people, those who hurt others just to have fun, prey on others and bully others. And those are mostly NT and/or antisocials. Sadly, the more I grow the more I see that any human group seems to have some others humans group to hate, talk trash of, and hurt if possible. So even if individually there are people who are very nice, when they form groups...

I am curious to go to some aspies/autists event, so I can talk with some face to face. It may not work, but I guess its worth to try. And even if they dislike or dont accept me, I can show some respect and listening to people who probably need it. :)

I think the phrase "when you have met one autistic, you have met ONE autistic" is applicable here.
So it's going to be very variable as to whether or not you like any particular autistics character.

I guess since it can be very hard to tell who is and is not autistic, the way that I have to answer this one is, "it varies--I like some autistic people."

It's easier for me to describe the kind of person I don't like; there are fewer of them. Ideologues, the hyperfixated on aggression, people who come off as sleazy or creepy, people who either pretend to be "telling it like it is" as a disguise for ill manners or who pad out everything with some midwest-nice nonsense and will cut you down the minute your back is turned. Not a fan of very loud people either--too impulsive; can't convince myself to actually trust them. Hence the grudge match between me & the Protestant churches.

I really do like being around more laid-back, quiet people. That's fun. A lot of these people may happen to be autistic, or not. It does not matter to me. The way I see it nice people are nice and that is usually who I prefer to associate with. You can tell more about the way one carries himself than about what a doctor diagnoses another person with--

I love being around my fellow autistic people. I have had a good amount of experience interacting with fellow autistic people to the point that I can definitely say I prefer their company more than the company of NTs in general. I'm more at ease around most of the fellow autistics I know. I feel more free in being able to communicate the way I do and they receive and accept my communication without judgement. I obviously identify with them and they me in ways that aren't possible with NTs. What's not to like?

My experience with fellow autistics include knowing some of them face to face; you could call them "face to face friends". I also have around a dozen internet/zoom friends that I've known for a few years and have weekly zoom meetings with (ie video zooms). Then I have some forum friends from here and a former autism site that I no longer frequent.

There have been a few that have filtered in and out of my zoom group that I felt I wasn't compatible with. They shared a common trait of being more or less oblivious to others and to the need for the common courtesy of sharing time and listening rather than just monopolizing time. Far and away though, my experience with most autistic people/friends has been truly a rewarding gift.

Internet forums where I never have and never will interact with people other than written communication is where compatibility is more divided for me.

In short, I generally prefer the company of fellow autistic people over NTs, but that being said in no way do I reject NTs as potential friends. I'm with @crewlucaa_ on this because I look at a person's character regardless of any other factors.

I am around mostly autistic people at the moment and I would say I like them just as much as I like NT people (not very much overall but some are nice) I have autistic friends both on and offline and I enjoy spending time with autistic people. However because we are all different but share things like black and white thinking and inflexibility in common I do think it can be hard at times to make connections due to our traits clashing. There are 100% tropes and archetypes I see in some autistic people that I try to avoid ( edgy, mean, apie supremacist, tendency for bitterness, black and white views on women, politics, and good and bad,the idea of being honest when really they are just being cruel ) and some I seek out (acceptance for things out of the norm, passion for interests, philosophical and self scrutinizing/analyzing, analytical and detail oriented thinking, love for learning etc) but I think that's how it is for everyone. Autism is a big disorder spanning a lot of traits and expressions of those traits so I will click with some but not with others of course. But I am so glad for my autistic friends and it's nice to find places where you truly feel a belonging.

Folks, we are on an autistic forum, talking to other autistics. :rolleyes: Whether we admit it or not, we do seek out those like us in some way or another, be it online, IRL, or a combination of both.

Online my contacts are mostly autistic, even on my special interest sites. IRL, nearly every one of my friends are NDers and the whole of my immediate family is ND (The overwhelming majority being ADHD). As far as ASD goes, I am one of two ducks in that puddle. My brother being the second.

Neurodivergence is a topic that seems much easier to discuss online rather than face to face because there is that little bit of separation. (Energy cost for being social IRL).

I guess I've never looked at it as this person is autistic so I'll socialize with them. If I click with someone, I click. I don't use an NT/ND standard to determine how well I will get along with them. I click with NDers as a whole because it is a pattern my brain recognizes and understands. I seek out the autistic community to further my own understanding on different perspectives.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom