• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you enjoy trashy entertainment?

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
OK, I will preface this thread by requesting that nobody links to any videos or content that violates forum rules here.

I am talking about grindhouse horror.

I am talking about ‘90s seinen anime OVAs.

I am talking about Heavy Metal magazine.

Or, if you prefer trash of another nature, reality TV. Married at First Sight. Or the literally trashy Hoarders.

My brain cannot survive on highbrow thought provoking movies alone. My brain sometimes wants its junk food.

Yes. Sometimes I really need to binge some trashy media. Watch one season of a trashy reality TV show in one day, enjoy it a lot, then feel guilty over watching something that’s so exploitative.

And then I go back to my usual stuff :)

Grindhouse horror, trashy chaotic music and low budget satire are guilt free entertainment for me, but I still binge those too. I think it’s a bit of a mental palate cleanser?

Grindhouse horror, trashy chaotic music and low budget satire are guilt free entertainment for me, but I still binge those too. I think it’s a bit of a mental palate cleanser?
I think I would be unspeakably depressed if all I watched was important movies like Schindler’s List.

The Room. Ad nauseam.

Cheaters.

Laughing at fictional crime series. Law & Order: SVU is a godsend.

Searching Netflix for bad movies with an ex-girlfriend.

I have indulged.

Idk about trashy movies I’ve seen recently besides Silent Hill Revelation (I kinda liked it despite its flaws) but I definitely listen to goofy, kinda vulgar sounding music sometimes just because lol

I absolutely adore schlocky trash.

But it definitely has to be in the realm of 'so bad it's good' in order to be enjoyable to me, if it's just regular bad, that's not fun.

Awwwww . . . . hell, I cut my teeth on trashy, reading Zap Comix, usually featuring R. Crumb. I even have a 78 platter of Crumb and the Cheap Suit Serenaders doing quite scatalogical party songs (like the double entendre "My Girl's *****" (kitty cat)). Plus, I was a subscriber to National Lampoon and love The Onion ever since they were in Madison, WI. I am a fan of Edward Gorey and Gahan Wilson.

Last edited:
Hoarders.
Retro episodes of What Not to Wear
Flaky B-list movies like Pacific Rim, A-Team, etc...
House Hunters
Ugliest Homes in America
Ghost Adventures (I love this show, no logic behind why, I just do. Always have.)
Mysterious Cities of Gold
Digimon (first season only)
Ancient Aliens
Hallmark Christmas movie, (seen one, you've seen 'em all).
Any Jurassic Park after the original.
Twister
The Mummy 1999 (Returns 2001)

I am mesmerized by
My Strange Addiction.
Cheaters
Hoarders
Dr Pimple Popper
Dancing Queens

No, not really. That was something that also differentiated me from my peers. Sure I enjoy something more lighthearted now and then and like slapstick humor, but I wouldn't call any of it trashy. I think my taste in art and media has always skewed more snob/hipster.

I don't mind other people enjoying that type of thing at all however, and don't agree with the revolt some people feel about that stuff. Same goes for superhero movies and mobile or sport video games. There's plenty of interesting stuff of all types to be found, so why spend your energy being angry at people enjoying something different than yourself?

Hoarders.
Retro episodes of What Not to Wear
Flaky B-list movies like Pacific Rim, A-Team, etc...
House Hunters
Ugliest Homes in America
Ghost Adventures (I love this show, no logic behind why, I just do. Always have.)
Mysterious Cities of Gold
Digimon (first season only)
Ancient Aliens
Hallmark Christmas movie, (seen one, you've seen 'em all).
Any Jurassic Park after the original.
Twister
The Mummy 1999 (Returns 2001)

I love most of these too because they are so absurd and stupid that it’s hilarious.
I have to be either really bored and have a ton of free time, intentionally seeking mindless entertainment with my friends, or sick in bed, to watch any of them though.

I will add to the list:

Catfish: The TV Show
Siesta Key
Any variation of Teen Mom (especially the British one)
Pawn Stars
The show where they build fish tanks (Tanked? I think that’s the name of it)
Anything on HGTV
Chopped
Help! I’m in a Secret Relationship
MTV Cribs
America’s Got Talent
Any “paranormal investigation” show
Early 2000s chick flicks

The Kardashians and Jersey Shore are too lowbrow for me though, even with some of the doozies on this list…

Grindhouse Horror? Sure. And all those old Roger Corman movies with Jack Nicholson or Vincent Price. And so many films from Japan like "Godzilla", "Starman" and "The H-Man".

Big Brother
Catfish
Real People
Cheaters

I do enjoy a little dirty and trashy content here and there, but I like to diversify my taste in entertainment. I treat it like sloppy fast food, and then I move on to something else to avoid getting hooked.

Some of the stuff I've watched should have been left in the dumpster where it belongs if you ask me, but I'm not a part of the target audience.

Are we talking like Neil Breen, Tommy Wiseau, and Birdemic? Because that's all I like.

I also found this website the other day that only posts sleaze-rock / metal album reviews and I was in heaven; just being able to go down the list and find them all on spotify was a musical joyride. Don't even get me started about the first line of vaporwave artists, because they're forever etched into my heart.

I also still have no idea why everyone hates Creed and Nickelback; they were good bands, in the beginning at least!

I've always been drawn to absolute garbage, and it's not in some kind of 'ironic' way (although I've been accused of being a 'hipster' too many times to count). I genuinely live for the cringe, because I am cringe!

Last edited by a moderator:
These are so underrated. The more made-for-TV it seems, the better!
They are underrated for sure. I am old enough to remember these movies coming out but I didn't see most of them growing up (even though I wanted to.)
Although I did see Uptown Girls when I was a kid and I still love it. It may have been my first exposure to movies that were rated anything above PG lol and it is definitely not for kids.

The one I watched the most recently was 13 Going on 30. I remember seeing bits and pieces of it when I was younger but I had never watched the full thing until about a month ago. It was better than I expected it to be.

New Threads

Top Bottom