• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you enjoy trashy entertainment?

No. Not familiar with the intro list. My idea of a good Heavy Metal artist is Steve Hughes.

I don't enjoy that end of the market at all, I liked a lot of that sort of stuff as a kid but grew out of it by age 12. Even movies and tv shows that I loved as a kid seem pretty lame now. I don't watch many movies these days, I prefer to read a book instead.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what 'trashy entertainment' is, but entertainment is not what I use TV for. I watch documentaries and sometimes the news, but that's all. I like to be informed rather than entertained.

There is an Australian reality show called "Aussie Salvage Squad" that I like to watch. They handle boat wrecks and remove old junk cars that has been left in nature, clean up after natural disasters and those kind of things. A lot of trash on that show. ;)

salvage.png

Last edited:
I completely forgot about books until @Outdated mentioned them.

Another weird form of trash media that I love is medicine / tarot cards (and strange variations!), as well as ridiculous digital bargain-bin witchcraft spellbooks. They're right up there with ghost hunting shows for me, it's the best trash in the world :)

I completely forgot about books....
I was always in to the fantasy/D&D type stories and science fiction. I read a lot so I've read a lot of the spy thriller types too, but books like the game of thrones are my favourites.

[Edit] I also can't watch movies or series if I've already read the books, if it's different to how I imagined everything in the books then it's just wrong. I've only ever seen one movie that matches the book exactly - The Chronicles of Riddick.

One of my sons and I like watching weird, peculiar shows I started this now he informs me movies like Lex when its first came out, a Canadian German production. Cube is another one even has a few sequels Us Canadians like making this kind of stuff. cheap productions well-made blow you out of the water.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what 'trashy entertainment' is, but entertainment is not what I use TV for. I watch documentaries and sometimes the news, but that's all. I like to be informed rather than entertained.
Any major news network offers the trashiest entertainment imaginable - too trashy for me, even.

Any major news network offers the trashiest entertainment imaginable - too trashy for me, even.

Most US news networks are certainly trashy, but are too awful and depressing to be considered entertainment, at least in my opinion.

Definitely too trashy for me as well. I haven't watched televised news since about three years ago and I don't regret it at all. I read articles to stay informed because you can't trust what's coming out of most of the news anchors' mouths (some are more conspiratorial and misinformed than others.)

Most US news networks are certainly trashy, but are too awful and depressing to be considered entertainment, at least in my opinion.

Definitely too trashy for me as well. I haven't watched televised news since about three years ago and I don't regret it at all. I read articles to stay informed because you can't trust what's coming out of most of the news anchors' mouths (some are more conspiratorial and misinformed than others.)
But it all is a part of bread and circus, specifically designed to conform to the bias of the target audience. Left, right, it’s all the same and it’s all made for shock and awe, to pit people against each other in the name of selling advertising space, where the advertisers are often major political donors themselves.

This is not a conspiracy theory. This is why people remain divided.

We live in different parts of the world - here, news channels are trashy but some more than others. In summer, especially in the summer and you live in a rural area like I do, it's a good idea to check local news coverage in case there's a wildfire. But I don't usually watch it, I usually check online. Then I can choose what to read. I often go weeks without even turning on the TV.

No. Not at all. I used to watch a lot of that, because i thought that's the thing that people do. But I never liked it, deep down.

What I really enjoy is uplifitng and beautiful storytelling.

it's a good idea to check local news coverage in case there's a wildfire. But I don't usually watch it, I usually check online.
I use the rain radar a lot, it's nice to know if you're going to get rained on when you go out. Here it's a government run service through the bureau of meteorology but I found and English equivalent if you think it might be useful.

These radars don't show cloud cover, they only show actual rainfall.

I use the rain radar a lot, it's nice to know if you're going to get rained on when you go out. Here it's a government run service through the bureau of meteorology but I found and English equivalent if you think it might be useful.

These radars don't show cloud cover, they only show actual rainfall.

I'm in Greece and wildfires are a big problem here every summer, especially when there's a heatwave on. Where my house is, it's unlikely to be affected, but the surrounding area and air quality certainly can be. I like to know what's going on, I don't like surprises.

Knowing when thunder storms are likely to happen is also useful. They make me feel very anxious.

I'm in Greece and wildfires are a big problem here every summer, especially when there's a heatwave on.
I don't know why I thought you were in the UK. Now I understand the worry about fires, it's pretty horrific all over the Med this year. We get that here at times too.

I don't know why I thought you were in the UK. Now I understand the worry about fires, it's pretty horrific all over the Med this year. We get that here at times too.
There was a really massive fire in my area in 2021, caused a lot of turmoil and anxiety. Most of the forest burned, but there is still low level grass and other vegetation that has dried out due to the heat. It's like a tinderbox - just one spark and it can very quickly flare up and get out of control - it spreads really quickly, especially when fanned by the wind. Being in Australia, I'm sure you can appreciate this.

It's a bit of a different and more complex situation in Australia though, conflict between modern man and the native bush.There's many species of plants that won't flower until after they've been burnt so to maintain biodiversity we have to allow fires.

In a normal wild situation without humans the fires happen here every couple of years, but they're quite often not all that fierce because they happen regularly. Modern ideas from other parts of the world meant all of a sudden all fires were being prevented. This allowed too much undergrowth and detritus to build up under trees and that's when the really big firestorms started happening.

They're finally starting to accept traditional knowledge and doing controlled burns, hopefully we'll see a lot less of the truly dangerous fires in the future.

I just watched this trashy movie. I remember going to the theater to see Passion of the Christ but all screenings of that were sold out when I got to the theater, so I saw this instead. Well, I laughed when I saw it again just now.

New Threads

Top Bottom