• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you eat like parts of vegetables?

lovely_darlingprettybaby

V.I.P Member
I like broccoli stalks just cooked with butter and sometimes i like sweet potato skin.
I would probably eat the cauliflower stem as well.
It is very nutritious and tasty and saves food.
Amd you could cook bok choy stems or put them in soup for flavour.

Do you mean like you buy some broccoli and only eat the stalks?
For the vegetable I buy, I cut the root of, and like peel the potatoes, otherwise I think I use most of them, like in the form they are sold at the supermarket... used to have a cat that liked potato peels :)

It is the stalks of vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower I don't like.
The soft parts are the good part IMO.
Celery is the worst. Stringy and don't like the taste.
But I think it is mostly sensory and not the taste.
Overall, I like soft vegetables the most. Although raw carrots and radishes are good.

Do you mean like you buy some broccoli and only eat the stalks?
For the vegetable I buy, I cut the root of, and like peel the potatoes, otherwise I think I use most of them, like in the form they are sold at the supermarket... used to have a cat that liked potato peels :)
It is ok I like the peel only a bit though I know they have pesticide and it is not good to eat dirt.
So therefore i think you should try to cut as much off but i think it is not bad and nutritious.
And I love broccoli stalks at first I thought I would hate it because I did not like it at first but I am a fairly decent cook and I can steam it very soft and it is so good really soft with a bit of butter. I cut it in half and you can cut it least that is what I did the other day. I am really ethical and vegan is hard to get nutrients. So I believe if you can eat most of the vegetable you eliminate waste.
And also bok choy stems really do add flavour to soups even something like a broccoli stem for people who do not want to eat it like the stock of a soup.

It is the stalks of vegetables like broccoli and cauliflower I don't like.
The soft parts are the good part IMO.
Celery is the worst. Stringy and don't like the taste.
But I think it is mostly sensory and not the taste.
Overall, I like soft vegetables the most. Although raw carrots and radishes are good.
I like all vegetables, it is like my favourite food
Except...
Yellow squash
And Brussels sprouts but I am tempted to try them again.

It is ok I like the peel only a bit though I know they have pesticide and it is not good to eat dirt.
So therefore i think you should try to cut as much off but i think it is not bad and nutritious.
And I love broccoli stalks at first I thought I would hate it because I did not like it at first but I am a fairly decent cook and I can steam it very soft and it is so good really soft with a bit of butter. I cut it in half and you can cut it least that is what I did the other day. I am really ethical and vegan is hard to get nutrients. So I believe if you can eat most of the vegetable you eliminate waste.
And also bok choy stems really do add flavour to soups even something like a broccoli stem for people who do not want to eat it like the stock of a soup.
I used to be a vegetarian, meaning dairy products, eggs + vegetables, I stopped in one of my failed "try to be normal kriss" events of my life (pre-diagnosis) - it was really not as common here as it is today to be vegetarian :)
I get inspired by your suggestions, when my daughter leaves the nest, I can be a bit more experimental in the kitchen, but she is more picky on her food choices than I am :)

I used to be a vegetarian, meaning dairy products, eggs + vegetables, I stopped in one of my failed "try to be normal kriss" events of my life (pre-diagnosis) - it was really not as common here as it is today to be vegetarian :)
I get inspired by your suggestions, when my daughter leaves the nest, I can be a bit more experimental in the kitchen, but she is more picky on her food choices than I am :)
It is ok I am dairy free and gluten free because I think I have intolerances but it is hard, some things are memories to me and it hard to not go out and just get a donut or fries at McDonald's like I did when I was young. But you can get vegan food and it is healthy and delicious which I love.
But occasionally I am like where at the vegan donuts that still taste the same.
And I do not know if i will ever go back to meat but I do not totally discount it because iron and protein is very important and I may eat a bit of tinned fish or something but idk because I love animals a lot more now and I may have lost the taste for it.
But being vegan I do in fact love it because I love the fact I can eat more healthy and clean foods even like slices and bliss balls and i kind of enjoy the challenge.
But sometimes I still miss that donut.
However I am happy at least being gluten free and dairy free because I enjoy the food.

Also idk if meat is sometimes wise to eat for protein and iron but people can overdo it and eat very fatty forms of meat.
So people need to do what works for them.
I do like tofu but getting those things can be challenging especially for a woman but also for a very active man who eats a lot of protein.
So that is the challenge.

I used to be a vegetarian. I like most vegies. I like broccoli stalks as well. And potato skins. It's a matter of preparing them and mixing them with skill and talent and then they are delicious! I do like celery, too. It's great in soups and pasta sauces and with peanut butter. I like raw carrots with garlic yoghurt dip and cheese. Vegies, I find, kind of, anti depressant. They are especially delicious with all kinds of dairy food (except ice cream!) and olive oil and in coconut cream like Thai curry. Yum!!!!

I used to be a vegetarian. I like most vegies. I like broccoli stalks as well. And potato skins. It's a matter of preparing them and mixing them with skill and talent and then they are delicious! I do like celery, too. It's great in soups and pasta sauces and with peanut butter. I like raw carrots with garlic yoghurt dip and cheese. Vegies, I find, kind of, anti depressant. They are especially delicious with all kinds of dairy food (except ice cream!) and olive oil and in coconut cream like Thai curry. Yum!!!!
Sigh, Thai curry, now I'm hungry.

Also idk if meat is sometimes wise to eat for protein and iron but people can overdo it and eat very fatty forms of meat.
So people need to do what works for them.
I do like tofu but getting those things can be challenging especially for a woman but also for a very active man who eats a lot of protein.
So that is the challenge.

Beans and rice bond together to form a complete protein in your body. When I was a vegetarian, I lived on beans and rice for protein, and tons of fruits, whole grains, nuts and vegetables for calories and nutrients. There are hundreds of kinds of beans and many kinds of rice (but beware the arsenic and other heavy metals in rice so know the source of your rice) so, in theory, you should never tire of eating the same thing all the time.

I like firm tofu, cut into squares, marinated in barbeque sauce, and pan-seared in a little neutral oil. It tastes like and nearly has the texture of barbequed meat. I add it to rice bowls for meatless dinners.

Last edited:

I like broccoli stalks and potato skins, too. I put the stalks into the cooking pan for several minutes before I add the more tender part of the broccoli so it all cooks at the same time.

The skins is where the flavor and nutrition is located in potatoes. The flesh of potatoes is just starchy carbohydrates. I use a plastic scrubber to scrub the heck out of all potatoes to clean them, and then I eat most of the skin, too. I also don't peel carrots. I just scrub them hard to remove any dirt before I cook them.

I like cooked celery, but don't really care for raw celery. I have a friend who is allergic to celery so I omit it as an ingredient when I cook for him.

It is ok I am dairy free and gluten free because I think I have intolerances but it is hard, some things are memories to me and it hard to not go out and just get a donut or fries at McDonald's like I did when I was young. But you can get vegan food and it is healthy and delicious which I love.
But occasionally I am like where at the vegan donuts that still taste the same.
And I do not know if i will ever go back to meat but I do not totally discount it because iron and protein is very important and I may eat a bit of tinned fish or something but idk because I love animals a lot more now and I may have lost the taste for it.
But being vegan I do in fact love it because I love the fact I can eat more healthy and clean foods even like slices and bliss balls and i kind of enjoy the challenge.
But sometimes I still miss that donut.
However I am happy at least being gluten free and dairy free because I enjoy the food.

You can make vegan yeast donuts with soy milk or aquafaba and vegan margarine. But if you don't eat gluten, then you'll have to substitute some kind of gluten-free flour. Fry them in a vegetable oil.

The skins is where the flavor and nutrition is located in potatoes. The flesh of potatoes is just starchy carbohydrates. I use a plastic scrubber to scrub the heck out of all potatoes to clean them, and then I eat most of the skin, too. I also don't peel carrots. I just scrub them hard to remove any dirt before I cook them.
yeah, it is the outer layer of the potatoes that hold the nutrients, I think because they are growing from the outside? Anyhow, if the potatoes are really fresh, I just push/scrape the dark part/skin off, boil them and then eat with a parsley sauce and some protein - it tastes so good to me :)

yeah, it is the outer layer of the potatoes that hold the nutrients, I think because they are growing from the outside? Anyhow, if the potatoes are really fresh, I just push/scrape the dark part/skin off, boil them and then eat with a parsley sauce and some protein - it tastes so good to me :)
How do you make the parsley sauce? That sounds delicious.

How do you make the parsley sauce? That sounds delicious.
It's basically a bechamel sauce (not sure of the English terms, but we would say you bake some flour in butter, then add milk slowly keeping it almost boiling, while whisking it to the consistency is right) then add chopped parsley a little bit of sugar, salt+pepper... so very easy and tasty :) I actually made it for my dinner yesterday, just not with fresh potatoes, it's winter here
20240107_190442.jpg

It's basically a bechamel sauce (not sure of the English terms, but we would say you bake some flour in butter, then add milk slowly keeping it almost boiling, while whisking it to the consistency is right) then add chopped parsley a little bit of sugar, salt+pepper... so very easy and tasty :) I actually made it for my dinner yesterday, just not with fresh potatoes, it's winter here
View attachment 123962
Nice. I'll have to try it. Thank you @kriss72 ! :)

A lot of agreement here. I always ate the skin on baked potatoes. I liked French fries with the skin on, too. Fried potato skins are also good.

When I’d use broccoli in stir fries and used up all the stalks, I’d also cut the stem into slices, chop them up, and add them.

New Threads

Top Bottom