• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

I used to many moons ago, my ex even sort of proposed to me on Valentine's Day 1991 (I was 14 going on 15 at the time and said no).

26 years later I'm more cynical and believe the whole Valentine's thing is a ploy from card shops to con people into buying cards and gifts between Christmas and Easter.

How about you lot?

Last edited:
Sure. It makes a lot of people happy. :)

It does not make me sad anymore when I think of all the relationship troubles I am avoiding.

My brother shot it to me straight. He said 50% (at least) of marriages fail. And of those still together, many of them are not happy.

That set me straight right good. :) That means if I am happy even 50% of the time, I am doing OK. It's more like 25% but I am working on that.

Nope. I got a big bouquet of roses once when I was sixteen, from my then-boyfriend. That was nice, because it was completely unexpected. I don't do Valentine's Day, I prefer gifts and romantic gestures to be spontaneous. Luckily my boyfriend feels the same.

i dont understand valentines day,why do people need one specific holiday to tell someone they love them when they can do that at any time of the year?
i tell my cat,my fish and my rabbits i love them to bits all the time and do special things for them.

Believe? You lost me there. :confused:

Funny though to recall that participating in making some kind of Valentines Day greeting was mandatory in a few early years of grade school.

As an adult I suppose if I held stock in Hershey or Mondelez it would have some $ignificance to me, as would Halloween and Christmas. Or if I had a stake in a dental practice.

Though IMO people don't need a specific day to tell someone they care about another. If they do, their relationship may be on shaky ground. :eek:

Last edited:
Forgive me, but I'm not sure what you mean by "believe in". Valentine's Day is on the calendar and people recognize it with parties and what not, so I guess I believe in it. Although some people think that Valentine's Day is a conspiracy formulated by the Hallmark company to increase business for their greeting cards, which always got a good chuckle out of me.

But do I believe that I'll find love this Valentine's Day? If past holidays are any indication, not really. Who knows though, I'm open to miracles happening.

This is going to make me sound really pedantic. You technically can't "not believe" in Valentine's day..because it exists. It's like people who say "I don't believe in abortion" welp I have some bad news for you, it exists. You can not agree with abortion but yeah, anyway.

We used to do stuff for Valentine's, usually go have a meal and get each other cards and all that jazz. As we've been together longer I'm like, you know what, don't waste your money. We'll probably get a takeaway and play a video game together. If he does get me flowers, he knows to go the day after, because all the flowers are ridiculously cheap and I think it's great if he can get a £15 bouquet for £2 :tearsofjoy: There's a big cuddly teddy in Sainsbury's for Valentines at the moment, and I've told him to keep an eye on it (I have a real thing for soft cuddly toys) as they're £20 full price (rip off) but they'll be reduced Wednesday and I WANT ONE. (It's a panda in a bow tie :hearteyes:)

I find it interesting that a lot of us had trouble with the world "believe". We have to believe it because it exists. And "believing in it" does not simplify things because it is not something like a system or faith. So that one word got complicated! NTs would laugh, no? :)

I find it interesting that a lot of us had trouble with the world "believe". We have to believe it because it exists. And "believing in it" does not simplify things because it is not something like a system or faith. So that one word got complicated! NTs would laugh, no? :)

I actually sort of skimmed the responses before I posted and hadn't realised that pretty much everyone pointed out the same thing I did :D

NT's probably would laugh, as I imagine the vast majority would not have even given it a second thought!

This is going to make me sound really pedantic. You technically can't "not believe" in Valentine's day..because it exists. It's like people who say "I don't believe in abortion" welp I have some bad news for you, it exists. You can not agree with abortion but yeah, anyway.

We used to do stuff for Valentine's, usually go have a meal and get each other cards and all that jazz. As we've been together longer I'm like, you know what, don't waste your money. We'll probably get a takeaway and play a video game together. If he does get me flowers, he knows to go the day after, because all the flowers are ridiculously cheap and I think it's great if he can get a £15 bouquet for £2 :tearsofjoy: There's a big cuddly teddy in Sainsbury's for Valentines at the moment, and I've told him to keep an eye on it (I have a real thing for soft cuddly toys) as they're £20 full price (rip off) but they'll be reduced Wednesday and I WANT ONE. (It's a panda in a bow tie :hearteyes:)
See, that's my brand of romance. Takeout and gaming together.

LOL... yep, we're having an Aspie moment here. :p

To me, the mere fact that something- anything technically/physically exists is not a prerequisite for either belief or disbelief. Water exists, but I have neither belief or disbelief in it. Just like Valentines Day.

Quite honestly I think a more appropriate adjective to use in such a context would be "observe" or "celebrate". Not "believe". ;)

Do I observe or celebrate Valentines Day? Uh, no.

Last edited:
Never had a girlfriend let alone one on Valentine's. I can't wager in on if I 'believe' in it or not. My cousin hate Valentine's because it's a heavy reminder for him of the pain he feels in wanting a girlfriend but simply not being able to get one and feels it's just a way for sociality to shove it in the faces of those who don't have dates. Me on the other hand have just never felt ready to have one or thought that people would like to go out with me. Now I'm questioning my sexuality and I'm wondering if I could even do the physical act of love with someone I don't find sexually attractive. That's, well, it's rubbish but I'm more or less happy at the moment. I'll try the dating thing when I'm ready and I'll see what goes on from there.

I'm not sure if couples need another period in the year to celebrate their love for each other when there's birthdays, Christmas and New Year's and relationship anniversaries.

Actually think of valentine's day as a day to do something out of the ordinary. Celebrate it usually in some unconventional way, might go snowshoeing and have coffee and sandwiches at a place we like to go.

The concept itself is a welcome break from the usual, toward the end of a long, cold, two months of winter. Where every day seems the same. It marks the the near ending of winter, more sun, less darkness and slightly warmer temperatures.

Once found a cache of saved valentines cards that my spouse's grandfather sent to his wife, many are dated early in the twentieth century, and she saved them all. Seemingly they express the sentiments of the time, which seem peculiar to me:

How could a mere lad- In his blundering way, Select the right gift for a maid? A poor excuse? Tis all I can make. For the one I am sending to you.

To my sweetheart, I'm dreaming of someone that I love, Someone I hope loves me, too. If you could peak (it's actually spelled that way) into my heart you'd know That someone is YOU.

Game of Hearts: Spread the hearts upon the table, It is a game divine, I'll win yours if I am able, My darling Valentine.
bde4c35aab4de3e32ec1fbef602891aa.jpg
7d19a2687d718d9be69738612ebead5c.jpg

These are so cute!! My mom had a box of Valentines in an very old box she made out of cardboard and it was shaped like a heart. I am going to try to find it. I will upload if I do!

New Threads

Top Bottom