• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I`m single now and I don`t have a Valentine this year, but I`m still a fan of Valentines day and romance. Happy Valentines day to one and all. :)

roses.jpg

Last edited:
So I never was a fan of V-day. Even before I had a significant other. In the past there were some lame attempts to mark the holiday in some way but it mostly felt forced and contrite, so now we really don't celebrate at all. I guess I'm more on the boat of love shouldnt be designated to celebrate on one day but everyday. My lovely dictionary of sarcasm helped me cope with today's over-sappiness.

And if it's your thing, then great. No judgment at all. But I also understand the guilt that comes with it, especially if you don't have someone to celebrate it with, even if it's not a romantic partner. I did a Galentine's Day once which was alright and I'm all for indulging yourself, for yourself. Just not a fan of the what seems to me an overcommercialization of today.

With that said...Happy Valentines Day :D

End rant.
20220214_113748.jpg

Last edited:
Of course it should be celebrated every day, Valentines day is just a day to make it extra fun and special. :) Flowers, cake, surprise gifts, more cake, more surprise gifts, it`s just something extra on top of all the other days of celebration. :)
Oh I understand that. Like I said, just more materialistic in my opinion. Just not my thang.

Maybe I`m doing Valentines day wrong, I have always thought the point of it was to almost drown your partner in a pile of flowers, cake, jewelry and other fun surprises. :)I just like it but maybe I shouldn`t. I have noticed that most people don`t do that.
Oh no, everyone should celebrate in whatever way makes them happy! You do you. I'm just babbling about what the tradition means to me. Don't fix what ain't broke.

also created to shame the single into jerking themselves up by their bootstraps and get mated so they too can join the stoooopid game.

The only thing about Valentine's Day I have anything for, is the history that created it. Some dude that wrote a letter to a girl he liked before he got his head guillotined... or something like that.

The corporate aspect of it now is unbearably obnoxious, and it feels like an excuse for couples to rub their relationships in every single person's face.

It feels like: "Haha, You're lonely~"

Truthfully. It makes me feel less like engaging in humanity. It's all a cruel joke anyway, social structures...

Topic.

I used to many moons ago, my ex even sort of proposed to me on Valentine's Day 1991 (I was 14 going on 15 at the time and said no).

26 years later I'm more cynical and believe the whole Valentine's thing is a ploy from card shops to con people into buying cards and gifts between Christmas and Easter.

How about you lot?
I am in two minds, I think it is a bit fun. And I love crafting and decorating and galentines

And between a couple it is a bit of fun.
I like red and pink and hearts.

But it is a bit gaudy and I think anniversaries are a lot more personal and meaningful between couples. Well at least for me.
Like it may be fun to celebrate but it is ok if you cannot be bothered either

Valentine's Day. I think it's just a well-executed marketing ploy that combines materialism and the "need for attention/confirmation from one's partner." They've perfectly combined the two and created quite a lucrative business. *Monologue where I say that love should be shown every day and not just once a year.* BUT the chocolate available during this period with a strawberry flavor is the best.

I find it interesting that a lot of us had trouble with the world "believe". We have to believe it because it exists. And "believing in it" does not simplify things because it is not something like a system or faith. So that one word got complicated! NTs would laugh, no? :)
Too funny. Even though I know what the original poster meant by the question, I quickly got sucked into the thought exercise of whether someone is truly capable of not believing in something they consciously know to exist. Then I read your comment and laughed. So true. No wonder miscommunication runs rampant between NTs and ND's.

New Threads

Top Bottom