• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think I've always believed it, so to speak, even as a single guy for all my life... Now for the first time, at age 46, I am in a relationship, I plan to do something but probably fairly low key... After a 10 hour shift at work, I did take the next two days off after Valentine's as vacation days though...

No, i refuse to let a date determine when i can do something nice for my wife.
This is just another herd event.

Lol, paganism? Valentine's Day is a Christian holiday that is based on a Catholic saint's feast day, St. Valentine, who was a 3rd century martyr that came to be associated with courtly love in the middle ages.

A wealthy Roman Christian named Valentinus was martyred and buried near Rome, he was included in Eusebius of Caesarea's accounts of martyrs and thus immortalized for Christendom along with quite a few others, because this particular Eusebius also wrote the most widely studied and ergo most important general history of the Church from the first four centuries.

Most of Christendom was Roman Catholic for quite some time, and people in the middle ages slapped all kinds of stories and themes onto random martyrs, of whom all they really could know was the sole fact that they were martyrs. So presto you have this guy become associated with the weird social rules for people having feelings for each other at the ruler's court, eventually that theme gets fantasized further by the conception of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, and now here we are with a St. Valentine who just has to do with couples in general.

So... pretty much the same as lots of other Catholic holidays, like St. Patrick's Day and the story about the snakes.
History of Valentine’s Day - Valentine’s Day - HISTORY.com

I dont even take the slightest interest in romance or relationships to begin with, so it's definitely not a day I'd ever partake in.

Not to mention that I definitely always notice when companies are trying to capitalize on something, and they absolutely do that with this. Even if I gave a crap about romance, I probably would still refuse to give in.

I dont even take the slightest interest in romance or relationships to begin with, so it's definitely not a day I'd ever partake in.

Not to mention that I definitely always notice when companies are trying to capitalize on something, and they absolutely do that with this. Even if I gave a crap about romance, I probably would still refuse to give in.

Gorblimey! And to think they call ME grumpy! :D

I know it exists, but no, i don't celebrate it. As an asd teenager, i personally feel that it's societies way of highlighting how broke and alone you are, but at least you can embrace the capitalism and buy some discount chocolate to stuff your face fill the void in your heart :p Personally, I would like to see a "singles day" where all the lonely people got together to binge on junk food and complain to each other about relationships (or lack of) and people in general, unified by their social impairment. Or maybe they would just go on the internet because no one wants to go outside.

On the 14th of February, it's Valentine's Day! Do you believe in it? Do you send your partner Valentine cards or gifts? Do you even have a Valentine?
No, I don't. I've never had a partner, so it's kind of a pointless holiday for me.

Most years I don't even notice valentines day happening, but when I do it's a nice reminder of how happy I am to be single and not have to deal with all hyped up expectation (for couples) and loneliness (for unhappy singles).

I generally dislike anything that's consumeristic and commersialised, so I dislike that side of it, but I guess it's nice for partners to have that reminder to take some time to do romantic things together, when so often the business of life can result in relationships being neglected.

I used to hate Valentine's day, but that was for all the years when I was single and hated having it thrown up at me to remind me. Now that I am married, it seems a silly and pointless holiday, because I always feel the way I do about my relationship without some pointless marketing ploy trying to tell me that this day is somehow more special than other, numerous special days that we have had together.

I can look back at wonderful days that we have spent together and guess what? None of them were VALENTINE'S DAY! So now, I really don't care one way or the other. I can make my own homemade, organic dark chocolate honey candy anytime I want so I don't have to wait until some commercial enterprise tells me it's time to purchase stale candy.

Last edited:
I don't have a partner. If I did I would send them something. Yes, it is a commercial holiday but that doesn't mean I wouldn't celebrate it if I had someone to celebrate it with. Christmas has become very commercialized and I still celebrate the commercial part of that, so I don't see why Valentine's Day is any different.

I think Valentines is a hard day for many Aspies because it can serve as a reminder that the outside world deems us socially inferior and social failures. Especially some of us who are unable to make connections with others on a romantic level even if we desire to.

Valentines Day is usually just a jealous day for me. I see all my coworkers getting flowers from their significant others and I want flowers too. I just don't want to have to deal with the relationship part of it that gets you the flowers in the first place. Does that make sense?

Valentines Day is usually just a jealous day for me. I see all my coworkers getting flowers from their significant others and I want flowers too. I just don't want to have to deal with the relationship part of it that gets you the flowers in the first place. Does that make sense?
I get it! nevertheless, I don't like getting flowers because they die; I'd rather receive a nice plant that can remind me over and over again that I am loved. ;)

I get it! nevertheless, I don't like getting flowers because they die; I'd rather receive a nice plant that can remind me over and over again that I am loved. ;)
I tend to keep them LONG after they die, especially if they are purple, but I'm weird that way. Ironically enough, that annoys the crap out of my coworkers...they keep trying to get me to throw them away and I refuse! Purple roses were always my favorite. My sister used to send them to me on occasion, but I'm kind of in isolation mode right now, so no flowers from her. My ex-husband never sent me purple anything. You'd think the fact that my entire life is practically purple would have been a clue for him, but he never got the memo and I think it would have been rude to ask for them directly, wouldn't it? I did pitch a fit once when he sent me pink carnations because they were a) pink (a color I hate) and b) carnations are cheap. I probably should have been grateful, but hey, Aspers.

The only plants I tend to get are when people die. I'm not sure if that's an American thing or just an American Southern thing or what. And then they eventually grow so big I have to trash them because I don't have the space for them to spread out. But I like plants too! Especially pretty ones!

My opinion is that people should love their close ones all year, not just one 'special' day of one.

In theory, I have nothing against a day to show appreciation, but theory is one thing... and it has its limits.

Appreciation and love should be on a constant basis, not on an arbitrary date. I'm not really a fan of surprises, but I do find it much more meaningful to get a small gift that says "This made me think of you" on a completely random day than to get a box of chocolates "Just because"; but what else could you expect from this girl, who doesn't do Christmas gifts for similar reasons?
And I'm so glad my boyfriend feels the exact same. It would have been awkward, otherwise.

Also, my form of romance usually involves buying my boyfriend some form of food and/or toy. Or a Kinder egg, which is really best of both worlds.
What?!? No potato chips, the ultimate courting snack???
(Keeping my fingers crossed that you remember this episode from another thread)

What?!? No potato chips, the ultimate courting snack???
(Keeping my fingers crossed that you remember this episode from another thread)
Haha, my boyfriend has more of a sweet tooth. I'm definitely susceptible to wooing with potato chips though.

b0105e30f08289c0063b14bfa47ba4d7.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom