• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you agree that Technology is going too far?

This shows how ridiculous people's reliance on technology is: due to the pandemic last year, I couldn't see my therapist in person anymore. It was either over the phone or Zoom call. After a couple of phone sessions, he told me he couldn't do them anymore because my insurance could only cover so many, but Zoom calls were still covered. It's stupid that insurance has Zoom prioritized over phone calls, considering that Zoom is a clunky mess that requires the best internet connection in the world to use properly. That's not getting into the privacy issues they've had.

Granted that technology isnt a mean to better human life anymore

I think there are always gaps between what we think technology will do for us and what it really can do. Once we embrace the reality of the true limits we begin to exploit a given technology more effectively and we do experience improvements in our lives.

I purposely don't want my phone to hAve too much technology, but a bar staff member laughed at my fifty pound phone. I don't think that's professional

Last edited:
I think there are always gaps between what we think technology will do for us and what it really can do. Once we embrace the reality of the true limits we begin to exploit a given technology more effectively and we do experience improvements in our lives.

Agreed, but I think the gap is mostly between what the technology can do and how we end up using it.
I remember a shocking example of that that occurred a few years ago. I was on the team designing the electronics for LED fountain lights for Disney. We worked hard on the project wanting everything to be perfect and that we thought of everything. We were very proud of the finished design. I was pleased with the performance during the initial test in full operation. It was amazing to see the LED's synchronize with each droplet of the fountain stream. It could be made to look like the water was going backwards into the fountain. It was then sent to Disney.
I was so anxious to see it in operation my wife and I got tickets to Disney World in California where the fountain lights was Disney's Wonderful World of Color show. The show was standing room only. It encompasses a "lake" with 1,200 fountains each with LED lights. As a designer of the electronics I thought I knew what the design capable of. I was wrong. The choreographed show of dancing fountains and lights, complete with movie clips embedded in a giant "screen" of fountain water left me completely flabbergasted. I had no idea of the performance that could be attained in the hands of visual artists and choreographers. Even thought I was a principal designer of the electronics, I had no idea what the design was actually capable of. In the hands of Disney, the performance actually exceeded the scope of the design. (Made me cry.)

Of course this was a good application of a technology design. Obviously, that doesn't have to be the case, and I'm afraid that, for the most part, it isn't!

This story is about surveillance technology in the workplace
IMG_20220228_185726.jpg

I like it- my home has as many smart devices as I can cram into it. As a minimally speaking person, it is very helpful. But so, I'm sitting here wondering if I could have eye contact with her. And I'm thinking not. I actually prefer the not-so-human-looking variety of ai and robotics.

GDPR Fines: The Biggest Privacy Sanctions Handed Out So Far

4. H&M — 35 million euros ($41 million)
Retailer H&M received a fine in Germany in 2020 for its problematic monitoring of employees. The company recorded mandatory back-to-work meetings that workers attended after taking leave, and made the recordings available to managers across the organization without the employees' consent.

The videos contained private details (including medical information) about workers' personal lives, which the company then used to create personal profiles for making decisions about ongoing employment.

This story is about those who prefer a basic mobile phone to the latest type of phone:-

Even a mugger didn’t want my old Nokia. So why are so many people turning to ‘dumbphones’? | Max Fletcher

Enjoyed the article!

Yep, that's me. I do not claim to even have a mobile phone, but what I mean is I don't have a "smart" phone.

I have a very old style flip phone that I never carry. No internet, no texting, just a phone. I only take it on long trips as a possible safety thing.

It's like; why would I carry a phone all the time anyway? Talking to people just elevates anxiety, something I can do without. And all the extraneous "noise" on smart phones overwhelms and frazzles my brain. I find it less than useless.

People find it strange that my life's obsession and career is all about electronic technology, yet I detest fancy high tech devices (detest is an understatement). The reason is because I love the elegance of technology that solves issues or answers a human functional gap. I feel that technology for the sake of technology and for glitzy wow factor is technological blasphemy. It's an insult to the art of electronic design.

Everywhere I go, I see people glued to their "smart" phones. I witness their lives contained withing that little rectangular screen. They no longer have a life of their own. They are totally owned by all the adds and propaganda, and they don't even know it.

When planned obsolescence finally disables my almost never used phone, I will not get another. I feel I'm not only just fine without it - I'm actually better off without one.

For me, it's definitely not far enough. Technology saves me from human contact all the time, it's great! Something like self checkout at the supermarket is already neat. But still plenty of stuff to replace, like doctors for example (uhh, hate it...).

Heck, I would even love if AI could replace people on online forums. Think about it, we wouldn't have to suffer talking to each other, but instead we could have pleasant conversations with nice AIs that we could customize to our liking! :catface:

I've just been watching a bit of an episode of UK TV programme googlebox. It showed a programme called 'Scam Interceptors'. It showed how easy it is to hack into a person's phone and immediately delete their texts and to access their online banking. It showed a scam actually happening, it was scary! So I strongly advise to be careful and go check out the show here's a link:-

BBC One - Scam Interceptors

New Threads

Top Bottom