• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you agree that Technology is going too far?

Maybe it's just me but I feel uncomfortable about 'machines reading your emotions'

Don’t look now: why you should be worried about machines reading your emotions
I bet we autistics will really confound such a system. (My resting face looks "sullen,"* but I am usually neither sad nor depressed.)

I have never been able to confirm if the similar analysis, face-reading lie detection, works for us like it does for NTs.

*Think Napoleon Dynamite...
full

Last edited:
No, I don't agree with the thread title. I do think that people place far too much trust in AI and algorithms precisely because they forget that it isn't actually smarter than us. A person with unconscious assumptions cannot design a program that avoids those same assumptions. How could they? How can someone ever inoculate an algorithm from the exact biases that they aren't even aware of in themselves? It just isn't within the realm of human possibility. But people like to get excited....

I think we also put way too much faith in unelected bureaucrats who are not responsible to any public constituency. We expect them to act in the best interests of a general public that they don't depend on for power, and we allow the misuse of technology to surprise us. Technologies are tools and those who wield them will do so for their own interests. Those of us who get in the way will be knocked out of it as necessary. Everyone else will be forgotten. That has always been the case.

How about instead of post after post of examples you find outrageous,
try stating what you value. The gist of the thread is apparent from the
outset. There's a rhetorical question. *Do others agree that technology
is going too far?*

A discussion of what "too far" means would be useful.
What do you believe the harm of 'technology' is?

CRISPR is mighty scary. Sure they always spin it like a medical miracle, but after 2020 I am sure some geek is fooling around with some mix of microbes and mosquitoes.....:eek:

In college all the chemistry programs over lapped including micro-biology and engineering. You paid for one semester at a time I just never made the choice took both a concurrently, no extra cost seen no reason to choose, no social life, school was fun. Graduated with diploma in chemical engineering. Never used the micro during my career, found it very useful after I retired during Covid was interested in CRISPR did a lot of reading Jennifer Doudna, is one of us, an aspie did for biology what Einstien did for physics.
Do not worry I'm not doing CRIPR in my basement, probably could not be of interest to me.

Last edited:
Before covid-19, I had felt that technology was going too far too soon, but that shifted with the pandemic and the importance of contact tracing.

Did you you know that if you shop at a store that uses facial recognition, the price of products you’re sold, quality of service you receive, and even your ability to enter a store can change based on who an algorithm thinks you are?1,2

Walmart, Macy’s, Kroger, and other major US retailers are using facial recognition. Their creepy technology can link your identity to your purchases and other personal information, track your movements, and make assumptions about who you are to figure out how they can squeeze more money out of you. These companies justify using this tech to prevent theft and “personalize” the shopping experience, but are actually prioritizing their bottom line over your privacy.

We just launched a new scorecard reporting which major retailers are using, may be using, and aren’t using facial recognition technology. Check out the scorecard and send a message to demand stores stop using facial recognition now!

What I especially dislike is with the IOT and other monopoly technologies feeding the internet is that YOU are the product. That is too intrusive for me. Disappearing is now far harder to accomplish.

New Threads

Top Bottom