• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you agree that Technology is going too far?

She looks like Jennifer Lawrence.

As far as technology goes, I have concerns about some areas, like genetic engineering. Others, like WMD, scare the pants off me. I don't want there to be Nukes or Weaponized Viruses, etc. But this particular area, robotics AI, doesn't bother or scare me for some reason. I guess I don't see our level of technology now or for the foreseeable future being able to create a self aware machine. And I doubt machines of themselves will ever be able to cross the line into true consciousness.

I worry about controlling the masses with the more innovation and advancement that follows. In LA, the city l lived in had cameras everywhere and it defintely took some getting use to.

The primary threat to people has never changed.

Technology is certainly something to be concerned about, but it's nowhere near as terrifying as humanity itself.

Art imitating life:

Technology? No, it's still advancing and tbh I'm thrilled to see what's to come in my life time (if I don't die a stupid early death that is). Science? Yes! Look at this!

10568836_10202698298074012_3975887227084840087_n.jpg

That's amazing!

Although, I'm not convinced about giving a gender to a genderless technological creation. It's probably to make her more human-like I suppose.

Edit: I just realised that she's as bad at reading social cues and interrupting people as me at times ;).

"The last thing I want is [snipped] a smart mirror..."
How else are you supposed to know if there is anybody hotter than you running around out there...!?

Can you imagine,
  • "You need to do a few more sit-ups, this morning," or
  • "You're going out dressed like that --after Labor Day...!?"

It will always go too far since it go faster than how our own nature , we grew up with a certain state of technology and now everything changed.

Granted that technology isnt a mean to better human life anymore.

I can't wait for the day we have perfect androids that are both our servants and our friends, so I don't have to interact with real humans anymore. Humans are scum. Of course, that makes me scum, too.

My life profession is electronics design engineering. I have spent essentially my whole life obsessed with electronics technology. And with that, my answer is a big Yes, I agree that technology is going to far, or in my opinion in a dangerous direction. I apologize in advance for the following rant!

I began to realize the “too far” thing in the early 1980’s when I started to see advertising being used to induce false opinions in their target customers. The opinions being created was to change the people’s mindset to believe their products to be better even when they were really seriously inferior. I was dismayed how effectively the advertising worked – essentially to cult levels. That was also about the time when engineer pride in their creation’s real performance, quality and lifespan began to fade in favor of “cool factor”. To this day, I detest “cool factor” and “gadgets”. I feel that designing products for the sake of “cool” is shameful, both of the engineers that design them and the people who are attracted to them. I see attraction to “cool” gadgets to be immature and childish.

I also despise designs that I call “solutions in search of a problem”, which is typically in the “cool factor” category or just engineering for the sake of engineering without a real purpose.

I also do not like engineering technologies for the purpose of enabling laziness or engineering for maximizing greed – designing intended fail rates into products AKA planned obsolescence or failures just after warranty periods. I am impressed with designs that are not intended to fail.

I don’t really fear things like Sophia the robot. I believe that consciousness is a matter of circuit complexity and the level of complexity needed for anything we would consider to be conscious is very far out of current or even near future human engineering reach. Artificial intelligence is just as stated. It’s artificial. It looks like real consciousness and may fool many, but it’s really just an improved version of a clockwork automaton (see the movie, Hugo). That doesn’t mean, however, that AI is benign. It can be used for catastrophic destruction. However, if it is used for such destruction, it will be at the hands of the designer and programmer, not the consciousness of the AI, robot or whatever.

My fear, however, is that technology is presenting a tragic hazard to our humanity. Has anyone seen The Borg in Star Trek episodes and movies? From an engineering perspective, that is my fear of where I see us (human race) currently heading towards. We already have the beginnings of the Borg “Collective”. We call it the internet. The human to internet interface is Facebook. The most common Collective interface hardware are smart phones. Everywhere you go, you see people with their faces glued to their “collective” interface smart phone oblivious to their surroundings. Elon Musk has proposed making smart phones implantable. And the purpose of Facebook (the Collective) is not just to influence, but to program mindsets, interests, opinions and ways of thinking - where our minds no longer belong to the individual, but to the corporations programming “us”.

Another example, a bit closer to home is how the humans are depicted in the movie WALL-E, where laziness enabling technology has become complete as well as being perpetually tied to the “Collective”. With little to no consciousness outside the “Collective”.

I am very proud of the truly useful, practical and beneficial technology that humanity has engineered, but now I am disappointed in where it is currently headed.

New Threads

Top Bottom