• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you agree that Technology is going too far?

I hate GPS I can visualize maps in my head, wife cannot, she drives, pain in the ass

Last edited:
The two most important regulators for ensuring people’s rights to privacy and data protection across the EU announced their formal call to ban biometric mass surveillance practices! This is a significant development for our campaign and adds even more weight to the pressure that has been exerted by over 55,000 Reclaim Your Face supporters already.

The European Data Protection Supervisor (EDPS) is the watchdog for keeping EU institutions in check when it comes to the use of people’s personal data. Separately, the European Data Protection Board (EDPB) brings together representatives of each national data protection authority (DPA). DPAs are the authorities who keep watch over personal data in their own country, and are empowered to issue significant fines in the event of abuses. They are made up of data protection, technology and human rights experts – so their views on the topic of biometric surveillance are crucial and authoritative!

EDPB & EDPS call for ban on use of AI for automated recognition of human features in publicly accessible spaces, and some other uses of AI that can lead to unfair discrimination

21 June 2021
The Reclaim Your Face coalition is especially excited to see the EDPS and EDPB’s reasoning for wanting to ban biometric mass surveillance – or in their words, to “ban [the] use of AI for automated recognition of human features in publicly accessible spaces, and some other uses of AI that can lead to unfair discrimination.”

In particular, the groups highlight that there are “extremely high risks” posed by the use of these technologies in publicly accessible spaces due to the potential to obliterate people’s fundamental right to stay anonymous and to unduly restrict a very wide range of rights and freedoms. The EDPS and EDPB advocate that a ban should be the starting point when it comes to public biometric uses – in contrast to the European Commission’s recent proposal, which simply does not yet go far enough to protect people and communities.

If you haven’t signed it already, now is a perfect time to show your agreement with Reclaim Your Face, the EDPS and EDPB by officially supporting the formal EU initiative to ban biometric mass surveillance practices. This will help us translate the mounting evidence and legal analysis showing how harmful biometric mass surveillance is, into a real ban!

7uainttgqk971.jpg

News outlets are reporting on Israeli surveillance company NSO Group’s massive data leak, which reveals that authoritarian governments and militaries around the world are using NSO’s Pegasus spyware to target journalists and activists. Pegasus is smartphone malware that intercepts messages, records calls, secretly activates microphones, and collects photos and email. Analysis by Amnesty International, Forbidden Stories, and Citizen Lab details the scope and scale of the surveillance.

NSO Group claims that the malware is only sold to verified government agencies, and it’s intended to be used on terrorists and criminals. But those definitions are highly subjective, and far from the truth. NSO’s client list includes repressive governments like Saudi Arabia, Azerbaijan, Hungary, and the United Arab Emirates.

Over 50,000 phone numbers were listed in the leak, including dozens of numbers belonging to journalists, activists, and politicians. At least 180 journalists around the world are believed to have been targeted by governments and surveilled using Pegasus. Research indicates that Pegasus was used to target the family of Jamal Khashoggi, a journalist who was assassinated under orders from the Saudi Arabian government.

These revelations about commercial spyware are just one example of a dangerous reality: governments regularly employ private companies to spy on people. Pegasus is not unique, and it demolishes the narrative that innocent people do not need to worry about surveillance.

We agree with NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden: the only solution to the proliferation of commercial spyware is an outright ban on the technology, with no exceptions. Like climate change or nuclear weapons, we need to take the danger of spyware seriously and work together to protect humanity from this oppressive technology.

Tell world leaders to take action and ban commercial spyware.

LETTER TEXT:

Lawmakers,

Recent revelations prove that countless individuals are being targeted by commercial spyware, including activists, journalists, and politicians. The subject of the leak, Israeli surveillance firm NSO Group, claims that it only sells the spyware to “ethical” governments. But that client list includes notoriously oppressive regimes like Saudi Arabia and Hungary.

Commercial spyware is a threat to human rights, civil liberties, and freedom of expression everywhere. This reality can no longer be denied, and lawmakers need to act now to prevent any further harm from occurring. We are calling on you to implement a ban on commercial spyware technology immediately.

I do think it's gone too far. I mean don't get me wrong, I love technology but at the same time does it really need to be everywhere? Like for example I really don't like self-checkout but some places expect me to use it.

Note: I'm going to get pedantic. It's how I'm wired. Hopefully folks here get that. ;)

In the most literal sense, I do not think technology has gone too far. Epistemologically, I don't think that is even possible. (Though if someone wants to open a philosophy sub-forum, that would be a fun topic. Starting with a more rigorous definition of "technology".)

...but I recognize that the literal sense probably isn't the topic of interest. With that in mind:
  • Do I think that people create defective technology through incompetence, negligence and/or malice? Absolutely.
  • Do I think that people misuse/abuse otherwise utilitarian technology through incompetence, negligence and/or malice?
    Absolutely.
  • Do I think that scientists, engineers, and those that fund and/or direct them make unwise and/or malicious choices as a result of ignoring those factors?
    Absolutely.

So in that sense, yes, technology often goes too far.

There are also fundamental reasons we will never be able to eliminate those human flaws in the system. That said, I don't think the solution lies in backing away from technology, but in acknowledging the problems and being more cautious in what we build and how we apply it.

That's amazing!

Although, I'm not convinced about giving a gender to a genderless technological creation. It's probably to make her more human-like I suppose.

Edit: I just realised that she's as bad at reading social cues and interrupting people as me at times ;).
Yeah like... idk robots scare me because to me they can turn narcissistic I guess?? Like if they read emotions but don't value emotions and respect people then they just manipulate emotions..... Does this make sense?

One of my friends who frequently bus travels said that he thinks sometimes people who pay with their phones actually take up more time, when it's supposed to be quicker.

I’m perfectly fine with how technology has developed. I think it’s an improvement for life in several instances. Having a smartphone is great for emergencies and for looking up directions if you get lost, having internet access available almost everywhere helps you stay in touch with others, and technology can help discover new way to combat different types of diseases and illnesses.

New Threads

Top Bottom