• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do you actively try to prevent yourself from getting angry at the slightest thing?

My 'anger management' is that I try to avoid situations that I know will trigger or frustrate me. Problem is, not all frustrating situations are predictable or preventable.

I used to have meltdowns in my private and professional life. They weren't pretty and I were devastating to my job. I was put on Abilify shortly after my diagnosis. I had brief and bad experiences with other medications so was very wary of this one.

It was like a lock and key for me. Better results than my year of meditation. It literally wiped them out of my emotional vocabulary without any side effects.

I used to get angry really easily but I don't as much now since I'm living in an environment where there aren't people and things making me angry every single day.

Sadly, over a lifetime of expressing inappropriate anger that I wish I could control, usually the best solution is avoid annoying and stressful stimuli. Which is impossible in the absolute. But I can mindfully attempt to arrange my life to be less stressful.

That being said, I do much better at work for the past 9 yrs than I had over the previous 11. Thats because I got in trouble with management 9 years ago when my anger appeared threatening enough to be a concern in terms of patient safety. My therapist said that (usually) people with autism wont change behavior unless they get big consequences for said behavior. I mean, more so than those not on the spectrum. Many neurotypicals are able to change behaviors because they seek positive future consequences rather than to avoid negatives. Apparently, that's really hard for us. The therapist said this in reference to my husband, who is on the spectrum. I didnt know then that I too, am autistic. But yeah, it resonates. So at work, I either suppress the rage, or laugh it off. Which is exhausting btw. Add that to the social anxiety and no wonder I feel like I've been hit by a truck after every shift.

Anger at home, anger on line in stores, anger in the car, etc. I dont wish the consequences were more dire of course, but meanwhile, little to no progress at controlling myself in those situations.

And even when I actually remember to stop and think, and I remember that in the past I usually regretted opening my mouth in anger, I truly believe that THIS time its fully justified ( when in that moment) and say 'it' anyway. Afterwards realizing that 'I've done it again' Ugggh.

I never get a break from do gooders so I'm not masking apparently you have to tolerate being patronised or the spit the dummy brigade will have a tantrum

My 'anger management' is that I try to avoid situations that I know will trigger or frustrate me. Problem is, not all frustrating situations are predictable or preventable.

Yes I do this, and what I have found is that I essentially have to withdraw from participation in outside activities which entail acceptance of additional responsibilities. Not that I do not fulfill my responsibilities, but that I can not force others to fulfill their responsibilities without my blowing up.

I actually rarely anger, in fact I'm pretty cool when others are losing it around me.
I actually oddly enjoy being able to observe others flipping out and not be effected by it, also means I can help out in crisis situations since I remain calm.
Usually when I do feel angry its for no apparent reason just a weird part of my depression symptons.

I have to hide it behind humour. But I'm frustrated at the drop of a hat. It's getting worse now I'm sober. Everything feels harder to filter and I'm forcing myself to hide it I'm finding depression is spiking.

Ed

I have to hide it behind humour. But I'm frustrated at the drop of a hat. It's getting worse now I'm sober. Everything feels harder to filter and I'm forcing myself to hide it I'm finding depression is spiking.

Ed

Thats sucks, I hope you find a way to resolve it.
As Yoda says
"fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate and hate leads to suffering"

Need to invest more time selling my art. These office jobs caused little more than negative feelings. Office small talk had people saying its "hump day" being a Wednesday. I blurted out "it wouldn't be a chore if we didn't hate our jobs" took people a little by surprise.

It's all or nothing though. I'm filtered, or I just say the first thing I feel without thinking and everything goes awkwardly silent.

I agree with the sentiment of that statement. Quotes are always so concise. I find the meaning behind them is eye opening, but the practice of them harder to implement. Ideals and reality seldom intertwine in my world.

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom