• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Do others with autism have a low libido?

I used to have a very high libido, up until my late 20’s. It’s dwindled since then. A combination of mental health issues, unpleasant experiences, libido-suppressing medication and relationship issues have caused my libido to be very very low. Biology might also be at play here, who knows. It’s not that I don’t enjoy sex when I have it, I just don’t find myself wanting to have it.

Having a low libido isn’t necessarily a problem for me. It is problematic when it’s mismatched with my partner’s libido though, which has been the case in the past and has led to some unpleasantness. Now his libido is very low too, so there is no mismatch issue at the moment.

I don't think it's impossible in itself to have a relationship with someone who is bipolar, but in order to have a relationship where one or both people have a mental health issue (and/or a physical disability or chronic health issue) there needs to be an understanding of each other's needs and boundaries. If both party's needs cannot be met and respected, frankly it's not gonna work. He is not being respectful of your needs.
With that said, I think hypersexuality can sometimes be a thing with mania. In this case it doesn't matter that he is bipolar, what matters is the fact that he's hypersexual.

@Primrose I think your decision to end things with him is probably for the best, honestly. I know it sucks but it will be better for you for the sake of a long-term relationship if you can find someone who's compatible, included but not limited to sexually.

I have dealt with a lot of guys that wanted to be "friends with benefits" but didn't want a serious relationship. That was clearly not what I was looking for, so I moved on. I would be happiest in a relationship with someone who is compatible, and for me, that includes celibacy.

I wish you luck in finding the compassionate and respectful partner that you are looking for :)

I don't think it's impossible in itself to have a relationship with someone who is bipolar
Thank you for saying this. Me being bipolar, I appreciate it.
Hypersexuality definitely fits with mania. I know it’s a telltale symptom of mania for me.

Thank you for saying this. Me being bipolar, I appreciate it.
Hypersexuality definitely fits with mania. I know it’s a telltale symptom of mania for me.
You’re welcome :)
I’m a big advocate for mental health acceptance, and I know what it’s like to face stigma when trying to find a partner.
I really like reading your posts too and I think you’re a cool person!! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom