1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Do females on the autism spectrum emulate other females?

Discussion in 'Friends, Family & Social Skills' started by Mia, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Bolletje

Bolletje Overly complicated potato V.I.P Member

If I’m incredibly insecure in a social situation I somehow start presenting myself as more feminine and demure. My voice goes up an octave, the volume goes down a few notches, I slump a little, I avoid eye contact, I readily defer to others and I smile sweetly rather than talk.

When I’m comfortable I have a low and rather loud voice, I am very present in the room, my back is straight and my shoulders are squared. I make eye contact, I take charge and I am very firm in my opinions. I still smile a lot, but overall people call my general demeanor rather masculine and intimidating.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Punchr0ck3r17

Punchr0ck3r17 New Member

I like that you put some research into this post... It's interesting to dig into how women on the spectrum behave and why. As an adult woman with high functioning Autism (or Asperger's Syndrome - whichever you prefer), I recognize that and can even identify when I emulate other women for socially appropriate behavior. I remember as a child wishing that I could be "normal" and watching the girls in the television shows I watched very closely to glean some insight into what was an appropriate and hopefully cool way to interact with others in a social setting. Embarrassingly enough, I still do take mental notes when watching tv about how women interact with each other and will often try to imitate or emulate the way my closest friends behave in social settings to help me feel more like I fit in better in society as a whole. You've now peaked my curiosity... I'm going to go do some of my own digging to learn more about this topic. Thanks for the informative and interesting post!! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I still do the exact same thing. It's gotten to be a habit. Even in job interviews, I mimic a little bit the interviewer.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Punchr0ck3r17

Punchr0ck3r17 New Member

Me too! I find it's easier to match the tone of the interview, for lack of a better way to put it, if I mimic the interviewer in tone of voice and sometimes even body language. Nice to know I'm not the only one. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ylva

Ylva Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Same. Learning never ends.

6. Gracey

Gracey Well-Known Member

I don't believe it's always necessary to have to make eye contact to gauge emotion in another.

I think emotions have their own scripts and intonation patterns.

Words like wonderful, delighted, joy are less likely to come out of the mouths of the sad and weary. The frustrated or stressed.

The exception to this would be sarcasm.

Speech patterns, rhythm, breath, intonation will be different for the different emotions too.

I've watched this happen. I've observed this in others, generally and over time.

I will often attempt to use the same sort of patterns.
    less I come across as a block of wood or bored.

*- particularly with the baby living in my house. *

my 'resting-face' elicits a studious look from him. Others automatically receive a smile. I have to work for a smile.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rexi

Rexi uwu owo uwu SlightlyFilterless Atheist Science=<3 V.I.P Member

I read it as "video cats" and I was thinking to myself "yeah, that's true."

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Progster

Progster Gone sideways to the sun V.I.P Member

Indeed, chat = cat in French :)