• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Discovering my religion?

mysterionz

oh hamburgers!
V.I.P Member
Can one be Christian and be pro LGBTQ, pro choice, etc? I’ve had very strong faith beliefs all my life. Who can guide me to the right path? If you have conflicting beliefs that oppose mine, that’s alright.

I feel like I could be Christian/Catholic. I don’t go to church, I don’t pray after every meal (I do pray sometimes). My dad was raised Catholic and went to a private Catholic school in childhood. I know religion is controversial sadly though.

What have you learned?

Pm if you want more but there are Christian people who are queer, and people who might not be queer but aren't inclined to play culture war and scream at people.

I am a Catholic, but have gone through almost a sort of deconstructing process from the traditionalist side of the Catholic life to more of a simple, saying your prayers and keeping up with the sacraments, happy to exist and letting my religion inform how I interact...ok that type.

I as well as my girlfriend are both Catholics and members of the LGBTQIA community. We are happy, and this is good. Asexual people get mistaken for celibates sometimes and though I'm sure many celibates are asexual or something like, I wasn't told about it earlier in life and studied for the Catholic priesthood because it was a job where I could immerse myself in holy and positive things without having to get married! The simple ignorant bliss of an autistic fixation.

You mentioned pro-choice things in your initial question and I have fought that for a long while now. I am one of those types of people who believes that a living human fetus is a human life and should be treated accordingly. However, I think pro-choice folks might say I am a shade of pro-choice because I don't feel comfortable with the hyper fixation of many political folks on abortion. Do I believe it's a sin; yes. Do I think everything that's a sin should be banned, well, I don't actually. If we applied the logic again mifepristone, the "abortion pill" of the lurid editorial, that it be banned because it frequently causes death - - why then am I allowed to have boxes and boxes of ammunition considering those also frequently cause death?

And at this point I vote Democratic cuz I got tired of being expected to be an authoritarian theocrat. I divorced religion and politics. Now I say my rosary, go to Mass on the feast days and Sunday, read the bible, and generally keep myself busy with whatever I can do to boost my (rather crummy) prayer life and try to be nice to other people.

Religion is one of the things that is like playing an instrument. It's a lot of work, it annoys some impressive people and impressed annoying people, and no matter what I do I'll not ever be perfect, but it is the gateway of a spiritual relationship with the essence of all that is beautiful and true and good.

I'm about as "spiritual" as the Sears Roebuck catalog but I had to focus on the prayer tradition in my own faith. It's been nice.

But I'd about rather be an agnostic than be an Evangelical. It's not something I think I could ever actually get on with.

Religion is one of the things that is like playing an instrument. It's a lot of work, it annoys some impressive people and impressed annoying people, and no matter what I do I'll not ever be perfect, but it is the gateway of a spiritual relationship with the essence of all that is beautiful and true and good.
Also I like this analogy too

I thought I was a Christian when I was little because I went to a Methodist church with my mother. (I was even in the children's choir.)
My uncle laid THIS on me and my life has not been the same since...!
full

Quakers hold all people to be equal regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, etc. Many in the LGBTQ+ community find their spiritual home with Quakers.

Quakerism originated as a Christian religion, but is now inclusive of wider ranges of beliefs…even some atheists.

Quakers are also committed to: Peace, integrity, simplicity, community and environmental stewardship

(There is one branch of Quakers very different from this. Don’t get us confused with the evangelistic branch.)

Can one be Christian and be pro LGBTQ, pro choice, etc? I’ve had very strong faith beliefs all my life. Who can guide me to the right path? If you have conflicting beliefs that oppose mine, that’s alright.

I feel like I could be Christian/Catholic. I don’t go to church, I don’t pray after every meal (I do pray sometimes). My dad was raised Catholic and went to a private Catholic school in childhood. I know religion is controversial sadly though.

What have you learned?
Overall my experiences that some churches have been tolerant of this or are opening their minds about this and that is progressive.
I believe in a God who loves everyone exactly how He created them
I feel like even if you cannot find an opened minded church, you could pray to God and have your own personal relationship with Him.
God loves You for who you are and I hope you are able to form a relationship with Him.

Overall my experiences that some churches have been tolerant of this or are opening their minds about this and that is progressive.
I believe in a God who loves everyone exactly how He created them
I feel like even if you cannot find an opened minded church, you could pray to God and have your own personal relationship with Him.
God loves You for who you are and I hope you are able to form a relationship with Him.

I like this idea a lot. I often make up my own beliefs about a theoretical benevolent god or life force who would never harm or condemn their own creation, and it feels real enough to me as well!

Putting labels on it can definitely lead to a stronger sense of community among like-minded individuals, but for the lone wolves out there, there are many alternatives to atheism and they're pretty groovy IMO.

Quakers hold all people to be equal regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation, etc. Many in the LGBTQ+ community find their spiritual home with Quakers.

Quakerism originated as a Christian religion, but is now inclusive of wider ranges of beliefs…even some atheists.

Quakers are also committed to: Peace, integrity, simplicity, community and environmental stewardship

(There is one branch of Quakers very different from this. Don’t get us confused with the evangelistic branch.)

This is a great post. I'll add quickly, the I went to a Quaker church a few times, years ago. I'm not religious, and probably relate to Benedict de Spinoza more than any faith--though even then I'd hesitate to say I believe in God.

Still, Quaker church was very useful, as I was getting over a drinking problem. I liked the quiet, the community, the equality, and the focus on personal experience. None of it was about dogma, decoration, ritual, or custom. The people were very welcoming and talked about real issues (like gun violence). It was so different than the Lutheran church I grew up in, and I'd say much more purposeful than most church is.

I’m gay, pro-choice, a feminist, anti-racist, and Christian (I belong to a Unitarian Universalist church.)

I agree with the posts about the Quaker religion, and the Unitarian religion is also open and affirming towards LGBTQ people. There is also an Episcopalian church in my town that is pro-LGBTQ.
As opposed to a lot of Catholics, and evangelical and fundamentalist Christians, who are openly opposed to, and often antagonistic towards, gay and trans people.

Believing in God and Jesus and being gay should not have to be mutually exclusive. This is an intersection that absolutely exists.
I was always taught that Jesus would never turn anyone away.

I wish you the best of luck with your journey of self-discovery, and hope you find something that is a good fit :)

You can always opt to be "one with God", without any particular religion.

For some of us, we have God so we have no need of religion. Where the sanctity of our soul is a matter between God and ourselves, and no others.

Last edited:
I like this idea a lot. I often make up my own beliefs about a theoretical benevolent god or life force who would never harm or condemn their own creation, and it feels real enough to me as well!

Putting labels on it can definitely lead to a stronger sense of community among like-minded individuals, but for the lone wolves out there, there are many alternatives to atheism and they're pretty groovy IMO.
Yes so true, that is how I see God in my head too as someone who would never harm and would be understanding and loving and love you for you.
Who would understand your struggles and pain and show you compassion on them and comfort

Find what works for you.

Some groups are more welcoming / inclusive.

View attachment 108719

Added to this, mysterionz: many churches have pride flags outside. That's what it's like where I live, anyway. I know your state isn't the most tolerant, but you may find some. My state has many anti-gay people, too. But I see pride flags in a lot of cities or diverse towns.

@Mr. Stevens florida is a mixed bag. I once met a lgbtq couple at the supermarket I work at (the lady‘s spouse is a transgender woman) and they had a toddler with them. I remember Riley (Nina’s spouse) asked for my pronouns when I asked her what hers were.

New Threads

Top Bottom