• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Disabilities Coffeehouse

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
I signed up for a coffeehouse event geared toward people with disabilities. I initiated a convo with a parent sitting next to me, and I did not realize at the time that a few of her questions were too personal. At least she was being polite about it, but when I look back, I felt that I was being treated on a lower pedestal than her. Like as if no matter how much I would have accomplished, she would've judged me based on a diagnosis. No matter how well integrated into society I can become, it's like it's never good enough. I hate that elitist attitude. I know I just have to know how to respond and deal with it.

She asked me if I own my place or not, and granted, I understand people wanting to know that, but it's really none of their business and people meeting you for the first time should not be asking that. I should've asked her that back just to see how she would react.

She also told me that 6 years of teaching is "not a long time." She has no idea that most people who teach have only stuck with it for 2 years on average. Teaching is a reputable job too, especially full time teaching with typical urban populations.

She also asked me what I ate on my own. I should've just said I felt uncomfortable, but instead I gave her an answer I am kind of embarrassed about. I feel like there are all these expectations I'm expected to live up to that should not be made a big deal about.

I've already been and continue to show that I can function in society, hold a job full time that's hard for me to hold, be open to other opportunities that might be better for me as an individual, and to try to learn to take full responsibilities of general daily tasks outside of the job too including caring for oneself, feeding one self, paying bills, having a little bit of fun and making it all one good balance.

It's not fair that I should be asked such questions only to get slighted, albeit possibly unintentionally, but I'm still annoyed that I didn't think about how to answer better. There's a time to stand up for yourself a bit more, and this was probably one of those times.

It doesn't help that the people around me don't reciprocate well if at all. Like I know you can't be yelling at them for their irresponsibility or anything like that even if you're right because it then shows that you have no composure and would make those people seem right about you! Instead, I have to play this constant game of coming up with excuses or reminding people because they don't want to use a calendar. I don't keep chasing people down. One person, I only call last minute now and I don't leave VMs most of the time, cause he's not dependable, but very respectful otherwise. Life has been a struggle, and I guess it always will be. But at least I'm always trying to make it work.

That person is a world class *****. I meet a few people like that in my life time. I ignore people like that.

Six years is a long time to teach and I have great respect for you. I also believe that we are all equal regardless of career choice. It is not what you do but how well you do it that defines you. If you believe that you are equal to others then why do you feel bad about her questioning?
Perhaps you could come up with an answer for such questions going forward.
Good Luck

Paloftoon, i know what you mean and I have done that - answering and then regretting it - repeatedly. There should be a word specifically for the creepy feeling of having answered overly personal, patronizing questions, and then realizing later that I did not actually want to answer those kinds of questions. Maybe, in fact it just occurred to me that I don't want to communicate with people like her at all.
I hope you feel better soon, and if you go to an event like that make a list or something ahead of time for topics which are off-limits.
This reminds me that I need to also have a list to remind myself, because I am vulnerable to the same.
And, I think you are extremely strong for having taught that long. I tried subbing and couldn't handle it.

Often in these situations I feel backed into a corner and have lacked the ability to' escape' from someone's incessant questioning. I have answered questions out of a sense of fear, panic and stress. I have also answered too honestly and then regretted telling someone something I would never dream of telling them otherwise. And this is with people who don't even know I'm autistic. Some people seem to sense vulnerability. I don't have an answer for it, whenever something of this sort happens I determine I will handle it better next time but still get caught out. I think Kestrel's idea of pre-identifying some topics as off limits is a helpful one. Thank you Kestrel. Today I didn't want to engage with someone who had been invasive so I shut down the conversation before it got going. I may have appeared cold but it was self-preservation. Do you find it takes you a long time to process and get over these sorts of conversations? I noted that it wasn't until four days after a conversation I found difficult that I began to feel recovered from it.

you're welcome.
Yes it takes me from 24 hours to several weeks to process [social] things like this. I'll be emotionally uncomfortable (but not know why), and then it will coalesce, be remembered and I'll understand more, sort of all of a sudden.

New Threads

Top Bottom