• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Did my special interest impact me socially? Yep....

I just looked it up it is still considered not possible or useful to control colour below 1, but if you can easily why not.
Being a coil line we produced a lot of product there is product out now roofing and garage door prints that are not possible to control colour on unless you use my methods. I'm retired.
I hear ya. With the abandonment of manufacturing, I think we are losing a generation of quality professionals in America. Back a decade ago I had to educate some engineers I worked with huw to do a stack up of tolerances for fitted parts.

Very nice. My use of statistical design of experiments was done to demonstrate to the FDA that processes were designed to consistently meet specifications with the risk of an OOS product predicted to be less than a probability of one in a million.
Very nice. My use of statistical design of experiments was done to demonstrate to the FDA that processes were designed to consistently meet specifications with the risk of an OOS product predicted to be less than a probability of one in a million.
It should be possible to bring it down to parts per billion once the process is understood. just need to be able to visualize the process and make minor changes.

My main special interest for many years being photography, which is admittedly a fairly mainstream interest...

Has it impacted my me socially? Certainly not in a negative way as far as I'm concerned... The only thing (and I don't see this as negative) is that I tend to "paint" in between the lines so thus have had struggles with how people perceive my photos because it often tends to be different... I've just simply learned to not care about that...

Last edited:
I got a detention for arguing back)with some girl who claimed that they had been put there by god as a fake to confuse people
Honesty, I verbally spar with those tossers as well. I'd have to give a nod for doing the right thing here.

When I was a kid, my special interests literally ruined my life because I was bullied so badly.
A lot of kids can be so cruel to each other, particularly if that kid just happens to be different. When I was in my expanded Lion king obsession, I had a particularly difficult time at 12 because I often had some of the *insert choice word to describe them as* come up to me and ask me if I would marry this character, would press it and would either press until I said a character to get them to go away *big mistake * or they’d fill in the blank and then the rumors were spread and I was mobbed even more for it and then it turned into vandalism of my key ring and supplies (like taking out the foam detail from my lion king key ring I got when I saw the broadway show, going through my desk and breaking pencils, cutting the mane of my lion pencil case ). My teacher did nothing, seemed to think it was acceptable and it gave them more support to do more. Ended up when they asked if they could play a game which I stupidly said yes to but it wasn’t a game. They threw stones And hit me with sticks for fun, and it never ended because in class I would find pieces of chewing gum or sellotape on my back, and they’d ask me about boys and because I couldn’t really answer, they’d press more. Although that one is not a surprise...But it gave them ammunition to use against me.. i Also had comments about my weight (and I wasn’t even fat ), my clothes, my hair, how I talk, how I walked, my lack of makeup, so I decided that I would do what they wanted, after all if most of the class was behaving that way, they’re right. I ended up cutting my hair which had to be fixed by a hair dresser and developed an eating disorder. And stopped talking. Got different clothes too. It still wasn’t enough.. I really hated that school. And a lot of the people in it. I certainly didn’t help myself out with going on about the lion king but the escalation should never have happened.

So, I understand that kids can be cruel. But it’s the fault of those in charge who are supposed to safe guard the children in their care who failed to take action when it extended from just “teasing” to more serious stuff. I’m so sorry that you had all that happen to you And that the adults around you allowed it to happen. I get why you're reluctant to share your interests. I don’t give as much detail anymore or talk as much about mine. And whilst I do like the lion king, i only like it as a movie and my interest in it has mostly dimmed, although I’m pretty sure that’s also due to age and having more interests that are more mainstream acceptable. Or at least, good enough to embrace it as a nerd, thanks to the nerd cultur.

Honesty, I verbally spar with those tossers as well. I'd have to give a nod for doing the right thing here.
Even after all these years, I’m still pretty amazed at how stupid it was.

Last edited:
it turned into vandalism of my key ring and supplies (like taking out the foam detail from my lion king key ring I got when I saw the broadway show, going through my desk and breaking pencils, cutting the mane of my lion pencil case ). My teacher did nothing, seemed to think it was acceptable and it gave them more support to do more.
That's one thing that really got to me when I was a kid, other kids destroying things I cared a lot about. I was always quiet and nice, but when that happened I turned into a Tasmanian devil and mauled them. So it didn't happen often. It's just terrible when people mess with your things. And food, when someone messed with my food I started a war. People really shouldn't mess with other peoples food.

That's one thing that really got to me when I was a kid, other kids destroying things I cared a lot about. I was always quiet and nice, but when that happened I turned into a Tasmanian devil and mauled them. So it didn't happen often. It's just terrible when people mess with your things. And food, when someone messed with my food I started a war. People really shouldn't mess with other peoples food.
Yeah, I still have that key chain and I know that it’s “just a key chain” but it was my first Broadway of a film that at the time I really loved, and it has sentimental meaning. I wish I had been a Tasmanian devil and mauled them but I didn’t do that. I wish I had done that when they were throwing stones and hitting me with sticks because they could have very much hurt me but I didn’t do that. When it was nearing the end of my time there, action was only taken because I was then also dealing with harassment from older students in the grade above me, I had a refusal to go to school because of anxiety, first time self harmed as a result, had to eventually tell my parents who were already worried because I had lost enough weight to be diagnosed with anorexia so they were trying to find the cause. And the principal was pretty much arguing that it wasn’t a big deal because I never reported it. But since being in the profession, I now know that they dropped the ball and should have stepped in before it got worse. A lot of the time, if a member of staff messes up like that, the SLT will close ranks and claim that they’ve dealt with it internally when they have not, and just hope that it goes away. I left the school but A few years back when I had Facebook, I received a message from one of them. It was a laughable apology for it and wanted my forgiveness because they were trying to be a good Christian And wanted to right all wrongs they had ever done. I did not give the acceptance for the apology.

Yeah, I still have that key chain and I know that it’s “just a key chain” but it was my first Broadway of a film that at the time I really loved, and it has sentimental meaning.
I completely understand what you mean. Sometimes things are not just things. And it's terrible that people treated you that way.

I had many special interests as a child growing up. HO trains, Estes Rockets, Beekeeping, Icebergs, Astronomy, Weather and related instruments, etc, but I rarely talked about them and preferred to enjoy them by myself.

Like @Forest Cat, if someone intentionally broke or damaged my things, or attempted to bully me, it did not end well for them. Even though I was of average height and weight for my age, even the bigger kids who were bullies gave me a wide berth.

I hear ya. With the abandonment of manufacturing, I think we are losing a generation of quality professionals in America. Back a decade ago I had to educate some engineers I worked with huw to do a stack up of tolerances for fitted parts.
My former employer now uses superior color control to beat out thier competitors, very little competition most notably in printing. have a virtual monopoly with some products, like faux wood grain garage doors. this is what hiring an Aspie can do for your company, if you take advantage of a special skill they can bring to the table. In my case a complete change of their business model.

Like @Forest Cat, if someone intentionally broke or damaged my things, or attempted to bully me, it did not end well for them. Even though I was of average height and weight for my age, even the bigger kids who were bullies gave me a wide berth.

I was a little lucky, I had some problems with kids trying to bother me when I was in my early teens and younger. But when I turned 15 I suddenly grew to 6 feet 3 inches. Crazy growth spurt. That combined with the Tasmanian devil thing made it easier to convince people to leave me alone. :)

Last edited:
A lot of kids can be so cruel to each other, particularly if that kid just happens to be different. When I was in my expanded Lion king obsession, I had a particularly difficult time at 12 because I often had some of the *insert choice word to describe them as* come up to me and ask me if I would marry this character, would press it and would either press until I said a character to get them to go away *big mistake * or they’d fill in the blank and then the rumors were spread and I was mobbed even more for it and then it turned into vandalism of my key ring and supplies (like taking out the foam detail from my lion king key ring I got when I saw the broadway show, going through my desk and breaking pencils, cutting the mane of my lion pencil case ). My teacher did nothing, seemed to think it was acceptable and it gave them more support to do more. Ended up when they asked if they could play a game which I stupidly said yes to but it wasn’t a game. They threw stones And hit me with sticks for fun, and it never ended because in class I would find pieces of chewing gum or sellotape on my back, and they’d ask me about boys and because I couldn’t really answer, they’d press more. Although that one is not a surprise...But it gave them ammunition to use against me.. i Also had comments about my weight (and I wasn’t even fat ), my clothes, my hair, how I talk, how I walked, my lack of makeup, so I decided that I would do what they wanted, after all if most of the class was behaving that way, they’re right. I ended up cutting my hair which had to be fixed by a hair dresser and developed an eating disorder. And stopped talking. Got different clothes too. It still wasn’t enough.. I really hated that school. And a lot of the people in it. I certainly didn’t help myself out with going on about the lion king but the escalation should never have happened.

So, I understand that kids can be cruel. But it’s the fault of those in charge who are supposed to safe guard the children in their care who failed to take action when it extended from just “teasing” to more serious stuff. I’m so sorry that you had all that happen to you And that the adults around you allowed it to happen. I get why you're reluctant to share your interests. I don’t give as much detail anymore or talk as much about mine. And whilst I do like the lion king, i only like it as a movie and my interest in it has mostly dimmed, although I’m pretty sure that’s also due to age and having more interests that are more mainstream acceptable. Or at least, good enough to embrace it as a nerd, thanks to the nerd cultur.

Even after all these years, I’m still pretty amazed at how stupid it was.
I am so damned tired of cruelties visited upon sensitive people! I mentioned to Luca that those abusive troglodytes are the true losers at life. I have always liked sensitive people both male and female. I was mocked for expressing interest in girls and once was reduced to tears when I would not reveal the girl I had feelings towards.

Yes definitely! I tend to fixate on the darker side of Psychology and History and have done for years but it seems to have now become more popular and much easier to source. People used to think my obsession strange but now there's documentaries all over Netflix etc, it's now "cool" lol.. I love reading about Cluster B personalities and what drives people to kill. With History I love reading about the Tudors and the gruesome execution methods they used or the Victorians and their superstition beliefs with postmortem photography. I have to be careful though as too much fixation on this can start to impact badly on my own well-being, so have started setting myself boundaries. Oh my brain!

New Threads

Top Bottom