• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
I see massive incompetency in distributing the vaccine. The fault lies with government. I have not heard of any confirmed story of someone dying from the shot and have heard of only about a dozen people out of the millions who have received the vaccine around the world who had a reaction sufficient to administer epinephrine. But, of course, the internet is rife with conspiracy theories and outright troll lies.

Husband and I will get the vaccinations as quickly as we are allowed to do so. At this rate in our home state, it will sometime next summer, which is a totally unacceptable situation. I am one of those people who should use caution when getting the shot because I've had anaphylactic reactions to two drugs in the past which landed me in the emergency room for epinephrine shots. But I know that I'm more at risk from covid than I am from having an adverse reaction to the shots. The new Covid variant first identified in the UK that is 70 times more contagious than the original variant also is a major reason for my decision.

Did you hear about the other new varient in South Africa? They say it inhibits antibiotics.

Wish luck with vaccine.

I’m feeling somewhat similar as you. I’m not anti vax or think this is a conspiracy or not real etc. I don’t think it helps that there’s stories about people dying from the jab or experiencing anaphylaxis either. Of course, it’s not reported about their medical histories either but it’s still a bit alarming that it’s a short development time period and now mass vaccinations are beginning to take place for specific age /at risk groups. But now Where I live, with an extension of lockdown measures, except not closing schools, I m not entirely confident in any handling of this situation — especially considering they’re still allowing aspects of travel/tourism in my country. Priorities 101. Vaccine plan was supposed to have already started Since late December but there’s barely been anything about it. My mom is in the high risk group, due to her health, and so far she hasn’t received any information.

I'm kinda worried they will mandate it for everyone.

Been hearing a lot of concerning talk about this covid vaccine. Thought it should be discussed. I myself am spooky of the short time it took to develop. Recent covid mutations also make me wonder about it's effectiveness. Just thought I'd put it out there.

I'll likely be the last person to even get it anyway because of my age and my overall risk is very low... If there are issues with the vaccine they will likely be dealt with by then... That's my general thought

Last edited:
The new Covid variant first identified in the UK that is 70 times more contagious than the original variant also is a major reason for my decision.
I think it's 70% max more contagious, not 70 times... if it were 70 times more contagious, it would indeed be extremely scary! :)

Had another discussion/argument with a friend last night

He is a substitute teacher here in the province of Alberta (Canada), so you can guess his Covid perspective on lockdowns in general and schools

I've never been married or had children, so I don't know a lot about the world of school, but my general perspective on Covid is:

I do acknowledge that the health concerns are very real, but ten months into pandemic I am very concerned about the business sector and the arts scene (performing art and visual art)

Walmart, Amazon and other large retail are doing quite fine, they are also places I avoid shopping if possible, I have reasons pre-Covid, I won't go there right now

I have always strived to support smaller local business because I believe it's very important, and statistics show they support more of the local economy than big box stores... The same story with bars, restaurants and coffee shops

I think people tend to mostly shop at big chain stores and restaurants because it's what they hear and see in advertising, plus most of the suburbs (where most people live) is full of big business... And I believe Covid is hurting small business far more than big business

The arts? One of my loves as some of you may know, especially smaller scale local arts, I enjoy going to art galleries, to some extent opening galas for art shows as much as I struggle with crowd mixing... And performances of more independent and local musicians and poets in smaller venues, the Friday night open mic which I often attended was of course wiped out back in March, where I knew a small group of people who went and played

I am just wondering what will be left "standing" at the end of this... Many suggestions indicate that about 50% (maybe more) of Canadian small business won't make it past Covid (sorry I really don't like big box stores), and what will be left of the arts scene, which is something that simply brings delight to and provides stress relief

Back to my friend, and other people too, they are so hyper-focused on health impacts that they don't look at the balance of everything else... I believe mental health issues are another long lasting impact of Covid which will likely go on for years with some people...

No other major crisis has told us not to socialize, in major wars of the past we could still stand face to face, shake a hand, have that sense of solidarity and communication... If we can't socialize properly that is difficult on mental health... Back to my friend again, he just doesn't get that, and he can be fairly argumentative at times too

Had another discussion/argument with a friend last night

He is a substitute teacher here in the province of Alberta (Canada), so you can guess his Covid perspective on lockdowns in general and schools

I've never been married or had children, so I don't know a lot about the world of school, but my general perspective on Covid is:

I do acknowledge that the health concerns are very real, but ten months into pandemic I am very concerned about the business sector and the arts scene (performing art and visual art)

Walmart, Amazon and other large retail are doing quite fine, they are also places I avoid shopping if possible, I have reasons pre-Covid, I won't go there right now

I have always strived to support smaller local business because I believe it's very important, and statistics show they support more of the local economy than big box stores... The same story with bars, restaurants and coffee shops

I think people tend to mostly shop at big chain stores and restaurants because it's what they hear and see in advertising, plus most of the suburbs (where most people live) is full of big business... And I believe Covid is hurting small business far more than big business

The arts? One of my loves as some of you may know, especially smaller scale local arts, I enjoy going to art galleries, to some extent opening galas for art shows as much as I struggle with crowd mixing... And performances of more independent and local musicians and poets in smaller venues, the Friday night open mic which I often attended was of course wiped out back in March, where I knew a small group of people who went and played

I am just wondering what will be left "standing" at the end of this... Many suggestions indicate that about 50% (maybe more) of Canadian small business won't make it past Covid (sorry I really don't like big box stores), and what will be left of the arts scene, which is something that simply brings delight to and provides stress relief

Back to my friend, and other people too, they are so hyper-focused on health impacts that they don't look at the balance of everything else... I believe mental health issues are another long lasting impact of Covid which will likely go on for years with some people...

No other major crisis has told us not to socialize, in major wars of the past we could still stand face to face, shake a hand, have that sense of solidarity and communication... If we can't socialize properly that is difficult on mental health... Back to my friend again, he just doesn't get that, and he can be fairly argumentative at times too

They seem to forget in order to fight back you need supplies to fight with.
The fear mongering in the news isn't helping things either. As for what be left standing. Big business.

They seem to forget in order to fight back you need supplies to fight with.
The fear mongering in the news isn't helping things either. As for what be left standing. Big business.

That's what concerns me the most about the current situation, especially the part about big business, and there is nothing I can do about :(

Yeah there is. Keep taking and posting great pictures.;)

As for art create your own. Share it.

Just back from my walk actually, 6.5 km, photographed and chatted with an 88 year old man, moved to Canada from Denmark when he was 18, still proud to be a Dane, a nice friendly man smoking his pipe on a bench...

Last edited:
Just back from my walk actually, 6.5 km, photographed and chatted with an 88 year old man, moved to Canada from Denmark when he was 18, still proud to be a Dane, a nice friendly man smoking his pipe on a bench...

If you got a photo, please do post it! I like seeing your pictures.

If you got a photo, please do post it! I like seeing your pictures.

Meet Eric, not sure how much I like this one, background is really messy but the angle is interesting... BTW @Mary Terry I'm going to start posting more to the Media section here on the forum, posted four photos there last night...

Street Portrait 14.jpg

I like both of them. The man's body language and facial expression is intriguing. I'll check the media section for more. Keep 'em coming!

And bbrrrrrrr, it looks so cold there!

I'm not going to make light of anyone who has suffered a COVID-19 loss, but honestly believe that I had it about a year ago.
My home health aide has a daughter in law that tested positive for it a few months ago. The six individuals that all live in in the home got by with no issues. I was around all of those 6 for an entire day as well.The girl who tested positive was sick for a few days then recovered unscathed. Her child, nothing, in fact here she is in my home last week:
20210106_180143.jpg

Ain't she a lil cutie?

I obviously haven't died yet either.

You can't hide from it and expect to ever have some semblance of a life. When your time is up, your time is up.
I'm kind of an expert on that, considering that I ventured to the other side twice and can now talk about it like it was nothing. It was in fact, nothing.

Most of my family gathered in one home for our Christmas celebration. My father is 79 and a half and has high blood pressure. He's not the perfect picture of health by any means, but doesn't have one foot in the grave just the same. He was there, because for one, he feels he has had a rich and full life, and if it is the 'rona that takes him out, then that is what was in the hand he was dealt.
My three siblings that gathered there decided that spending at least one more Christmas with Dad would far outweigh possibly never sharing one with him again ;)
I hope my one holdout gets to spend another Christmas with Dad in the future.

I don't think Dad is going anywhere soon, but you never know.
I dread the day I will get that phone call, but sure as rain or sunshine, it will arrive when it's time. I lost my Mom when I was 42 after a long battle with breast cancer. She was only 60 and was in perfect health prior to discovering a lump, so I can use that as a barometer.

I'm not going to spend any more of what is left of my life worrying about my demise, it will only serve to complicate an already complicated existence.

We were told to stay home for "three weeks"...ten MONTHS ago. And we are still home, unless you have lost everything and are living in a tent by the railroad tracks.

Just a heads up. But, some news report s are saying theirs a mutation in the South African covid variant. One that affects vaccine antibodies!:eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom