• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
I've been trying to keep an optimistic perspective on the pandemic... It's definitely been stressful listening to the media frenzy and gov't officials, with their lack of consistency... I can't say it's been easier or harder...

I know that this year has brought a lot of reflection...

Externally, I've noticed the attention to hygienic standards. Washing hands, sanitizing items... I'm not a germaphobe, but I do like things to be clean... It's nice to go into a store and they wipe down the carts, provide sanitary wipes and gel, and keep their distance... It's forced a lot of businesses to take a hard look at how they approach their customers and keep business... Something they should of been doing all along, IMO...

Internally, I've learned the importance of getting out of my head... I've started personal video diaries, that have allowed me to release a lot of pent up emotions. I don't necessarily need feedback, although I do seek it out if needed... I've been using the video diaries as a vehicle to just get it out of my head, and stop letting it fester into negative emotions... So, I'll re-watch myself and learn about myself... For me, creating a circular feedback to myself has enabled my self reflection on who I am, and who I want to be... This internal reflection has given me the courage to join this community, and created a focus for me to be part of something beyond myself... It's a comfort I know I needed, but was scared to accept...

2020 has definitely been a crazy year, but so has my entire life been so far... I think that the whole world got to experience the constant uncertainty and unpredictability in this year, that the few of us live with our whole lives... I hope 2021 brings about the change we need to survive as a species...

Regards,
MLE

Last edited:
Where I live in Edinburgh UK, there are tier 4 restrictions, I don't like the possibility of sitting in anyway during covid, at a fast food chain restaraunt, under tier 4 it's takeaway only. It feels like people are in an enclosed space what they are trying to avoid by the number of people queuing and
the time they wait and with partner company delivery drivers too.

My sister was diagnosed with Covid-19 Sunday night. She has an underlying medical condition that puts her at risk for an adverse outcome from covid, specifically a disease of the connective tissues called CREST syndrome that can affect her skin, lungs, heart and other organs. So far she is okay. Her internist medical doctor sent a portable x-ray machine to her house yesterday for a chest x-ray which was okay. And sent a nebulizer for her use multiple times a day to help keep her lungs free of fluid.

I realize that statistically she is likely to be fine but I can't help but worry about her. I have already lost a childhood friend to Covid so I have a heightened sense of fear about it. Please say a prayer for my little sister.

My sister was diagnosed with Covid-19 Sunday night. She has an underlying medical condition that puts her at risk for an adverse outcome from covid, specifically a disease of the connective tissues called CREST syndrome that can affect her skin, lungs, heart and other organs. So far she is okay. Her internist medical doctor sent a portable x-ray machine to her house yesterday for a chest x-ray which was okay. And sent a nebulizer for her use multiple times a day to help keep her lungs free of fluid.

I realize that statistically she is likely to be fine but I can't help but worry about her. I have already lost a childhood friend to Covid so I have a heightened sense of fear about it. Please say a prayer for my little sister.

Will do... Can pass this along to my church if that's okay...

Wish l could send nurse angels to keep her safe. But you are so intelligent, l know you are helping her any way possible.

Work has me stressed at times. Covid causes me worry. Clients don't seem to get that we are as stressed as they are but we bring our brave face to work and leave the pansy face at home that worries. Club members have sorta told me things personal because so many are frightened. They need to unload and we seem to be a safe place to them.

The biggest thing on my mind these days, for myself, is how social connections are starting to fray

I'm a single person who lives on my own, so have very few points of contact... Many other people I know (family and friends with wife/kids etc...) have to be so much more careful, one good friend who is a teacher has pretty much hid from public all year for obvious reasons, same thing with my brother...

If this drags on much longer I'm concerned about how to even re-start some of these friendships, there are so many people I haven't seen now for ages... Part of it is that I'm old fashioned, I love face-to-face communication which I know is harder right now... And I struggle with doing Facetime, Zoom, etc... over a computer screen, it's just not the same... But maybe I need to learn to adjust better to that world, even though I fight it...

What I'm saying isn't to minimize health concerns, for those struggling with that aspect of all this

I couldn't vote, because it's doing some of each. I'm becoming more agoraphobic than I was before COVID, but I'm also feeling better about the fact that I love spending time in the house. I can still do the things I did outside the house before COVID (mostly go on hikes), but now there are too many people everywhere because they don't have anything else to do.

I need a giant dose of patience right now, my last two days? "No food for you!" (metaphorically speaking)

[Currently we are takeout only here]

Yesterday, January 1st, stat holiday... A walk around a favourite inner city neighbourhood, was craving a slice of my favourite pizza, the "open" sign wasn't lit but there was someone inside, signaled to me that they were closed, I lost it, had a rant, denial (I'll admit I was wrong)

Today, three attempts to grab some lunch while out for my walk, and I knew what I wanted, so maybe was guilty of having a one-track mindset

First place: A local coffee shop that has a tuna sandwich I enjoy, their sandwich fridge was empty, owner told me that he has stopped bring in the sandwiches with poor sales at present, I wasn't happy, got a little upset, apologized on the spot to him

Second place: An awesome Montreal smoked meat place, I arrived, the door was unlocked, but they informed they were closed early at 2 PM, got a little upset, apologized again...

Third place: Another good sandwich place, they were open, my friend works there as well, made my order, chatted briefly with him, even about my frustration with the day... He tried to encourage me with a few words

But in this whole process, my concentration and focus took a beating... I know I need to have extra loads of patience these days, something I often struggle with, the longer this all goes on the harder it gets for me...

Third place:

Thank you, everyone, for your kind thoughts and prayers for my sister. Sherlock, please do ask your church to pray for her.

She is doing okay. She says the worst thing about it is the congestion in her sinuses (which hopefully won't drain into her lungs) and a constant headache. She does not have fever any more and it hasn't upset her stomach like so many experience. She can't smell anything which is worrisome but she can still taste food so maybe it's just the congestion in her head and not that her sense of smell has shut down like happens to many patients.

My maternal side really kicks off when my family needs help so yesterday I made her a quart of creamy potato soup and picked/washed some lettuce and greens from our garden for a salad for her. I included some little containers of shredded cheddar cheese, chopped fried bacon, sliced scallions, cherry tomatoes, orange slices, and olives to jazz up the soup and salad. I put it on her front porch. Today I'll make her a loaf of rye bread (one of my new obsessions) and oatmeal cookies. She told me that she ate all of the orange slices immediately so I'll get her some more oranges today, too.

Everyone, please stay safe.

UK will be in second National Lockdown from midnight tonight according to Boris Johnson's announcement on bbc news website.

The new variant being "50 - 70% more transmissible"
call me pedantic :)
I understand ' transmissible' (in this instance) to mean passed from one organism to another.

How else is this new variant travelling to be more transmissible?
Waste & sewerage? - water treatments inadequate?
Food chains? - Animal products?

The original variant entered the body as any other cold or influenza virus would.

What cunning new methods does this new variant have that the original didn't, to make it "50 - 70% MORE transmissible"?

I'm unable to find facts to support government claims on the nature of this 'New Variant'
(there are always many variants of any virus at any one time, if it's passed around enough)
Why is this newbie making headlines?

A lockdown makes good sense. Can't transmit anything if don't come into contact with anyone.

I think I've had my fill of recent local area changes.
I see the sense in it all but 3 different sets of rules to adhere to in the past 10 days.
Making my head spin. Need to catch my breath.

UK will be in second National Lockdown from midnight tonight according to Boris Johnson's announcement on bbc news website.

The new variant being "50 - 70% more transmissible"
call me pedantic :)
I understand ' transmissible' (in this instance) to mean passed from one organism to another.

How else is this new variant travelling to be more transmissible?
Waste & sewerage? - water treatments inadequate?
Food chains? - Animal products?

The original variant entered the body as any other cold or influenza virus would.

What cunning new methods does this new variant have that the original didn't, to make it "50 - 70% MORE transmissible"?

I'm unable to find facts to support government claims on the nature of this 'New Variant'
(there are always many variants of any virus at any one time, if it's passed around enough)
Why is this newbie making headlines?

A lockdown makes good sense. Can't transmit anything if don't come into contact with anyone.

I think I've had my fill of recent local area changes.
I see the sense in it all but 3 different sets of rules to adhere to in the past 10 days.
Making my head spin. Need to catch my breath.

Full scale lockdowns save lives from physical illness, but create massive mental health effects from the isolation, apparently even the WHO says this... Just stay as safe and as sane as you can, I'm thankful we aren't in full lockdown here in Alberta, I have the freedom to go for a walk outside... Hopefully that continues *touch wood*

Full scale lockdowns save lives from physical illness, but create massive mental health effects from the isolation, apparently even the WHO says this... Just stay as safe and as sane as you can, I'm thankful we aren't in full lockdown here in Alberta, I have the freedom to go for a walk outside... Hopefully that continues *touch wood*

Thank you :)
I too hope you retain your liberty within safe boundaries.

On reading the latest restrictions, I am permitted to exercise, outside, for up to one hour per day.

On top of being able to walk into a store and buy essential provisions,

On top of being able to go out to work.

Which is pretty much what I would usually do on any given day.

I believe I may have gotten swept up in the doom, gloom and sensationalism of news reports last night hence my gloomy post.

One would think after a whole year of adapting to constantly changing restrictions I'd find it easier to do,
rather than feeling like it's draining my mojo and pep.

Maybe the staff didn't realise but it would have been really good! If the staff from the autism charity I'm registered with, asked service users if they had all they needed for examples shoes (mine are badly worn and damaged) before Scotland went into these further restrictions, I have wide feet and not being able to try shoes to buy online it's very difficult!

Been hearing a lot of concerning talk about this covid vaccine. Thought it should be discussed. I myself am spooky of the short time it took to develop. Recent covid mutations also make me wonder about it's effectiveness. Just thought I'd put it out there.

Been hearing a lot of concerning talk about this covid vaccine. Thought it should be discussed. I myself am spooky of the short time it took to develop. Recent covid mutations also make me wonder about it's effectiveness. Just thought I'd put it out there.
I’m feeling somewhat similar as you. I’m not anti vax or think this is a conspiracy or not real etc. I don’t think it helps that there’s stories about people dying from the jab or experiencing anaphylaxis either. Of course, it’s not reported about their medical histories either but it’s still a bit alarming that it’s a short development time period and now mass vaccinations are beginning to take place for specific age /at risk groups. But now Where I live, with an extension of lockdown measures, except not closing schools, I m not entirely confident in any handling of this situation — especially considering they’re still allowing aspects of travel/tourism in my country. Priorities 101. Vaccine plan was supposed to have already started Since late December but there’s barely been anything about it. My mom is in the high risk group, due to her health, and so far she hasn’t received any information.

Thank you :)
... On reading the latest restrictions, I am permitted to exercise, outside, for up to one hour per day.

On top of being able to walk into a store and buy essential provisions,

On top of being able to go out to work.

Which is pretty much what I would usually do on any given day.

I believe I may have gotten swept up in the doom, gloom and sensationalism of news reports last night hence my gloomy post.

One would think after a whole year of adapting to constantly changing restrictions I'd find it easier to do,
rather than feeling like it's draining my mojo and pep.

Take advantage of that one hour you're allowed, even if just in your neighbourhood, it will do you lots of good!

I think we all get swept up in the negativity, I think back to March 2020 and I wasn't even sure how I would maintain my sanity over the long term, I've somehow made it this long and still sane :D But I do hope it gets better sooner rather than later, I'm especially missing indoor music events as winter goes on...

Off for my daily walk, probably meet up with a friend/fellow photographer downtown, I'll be out for more than an hour

I see massive incompetency in distributing the vaccine. The fault lies with government. I have not heard of any confirmed story of someone dying from the shot and have heard of only about a dozen people out of the millions who have received the vaccine around the world who had a reaction sufficient to administer epinephrine. But, of course, the internet is rife with conspiracy theories and outright troll lies.

Husband and I will get the vaccinations as quickly as we are allowed to do so. At this rate in our home state, it will sometime next summer, which is a totally unacceptable situation. I am one of those people who should use caution when getting the shot because I've had anaphylactic reactions to two drugs in the past which landed me in the emergency room for epinephrine shots. But I know that I'm more at risk from covid than I am from having an adverse reaction to the shots. The new Covid variant first identified in the UK that is 70 percent more contagious than the original variant also is a major reason for my decision.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom