1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dealing with COVID-19

Discussion in 'Obsessions and Interests' started by Mia, Mar 6, 2020.

1. It is making it easier

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  2. It is making it harder

30 vote(s)
    81.1%
  1. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

It's not about saying it better. Everyone is just expressing themselves!

But yes, I've had the exact issues you describe. I used to never watch youtube videos, but now I watch them every night. I used to never play video games but now I play them every day. And I've continued to read. I've joined a Bible study through zoom. I go to church with friends. I continue to work, though not as much sadly. You gotta find things to do! New things maybe. Unexpected things maybe. Just sit and think, "What do I do now?" I've always found something so far when I've done this. I hope I didn't jinx it. Anyway, good luck! I'll pray for you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. oregano

oregano is plotting his escape

It's the opposite for me. I used to go outside a lot, now I stay inside all the time and when I have to go out I do it in the early morning when there are the fewest people around. I used to love thrift stores, now I refuse to enter one. I see heavy traffic during the few times I am forced to go out during the day (usually for a medical appointment) and automatically think there are WAY too many people out. This weekend will be really mild here so I am staying in because I don't want to be around potentially sick people out partying because they're fed up with the quarantine. I don't feel lonely, in fact I like being away from NT's. I can't wait to get settled on my property so I only have to go into town once a week, the rest of the time will be just me and nature and cows. The wider world has never cared that I exist, so I am humoring them and getting as far out of civilization as I can go without blowing my head off.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Progster

Progster Gone sideways to the sun V.I.P Member

The lockdown didn't really affect me that much. In fact, telling me that I had to stay indoors made me want to go outdoors even more, which I could, because you could go out for physical exercise, shopping, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Streetwise

Streetwise very cautious contributor V.I.P Member

What I've experienced is being continually under the weather being forced to stand and queque to get food then trying to avoid people in supermarkets ,I haven't changed apart from that live alone have no support (family type)so no contact ,watched YouTube and dailymotion and BBC iPlayer like there's no tomorrow ,wish I could understand what people mean ,when they say ,imagine what it's like for pigs in a farrowing crate, they've been locked down their whole lives ?they only see sunlight on the way to the slaughterhouse .

5. Bolletje

Bolletje Overly complicated potato V.I.P Member

I enjoyed the lockdown at first. It actually gave me a burst of energy and a sense of freedom, paradoxically, because I was no longer expected to engage in social situations. I did a lot of painting and writing at the time. After a while I got sick of all the creative endeavors though. I read a lot of books and rewatched my favorite shows. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen cooking up a storm. At some point I just got bored with it all. I’m currently playing video games all day but I’m not sure how long that will keep me entertained.
    I don’t miss people at all, but I miss a sense of purpose. I’m starting a new job in a week and I really hope that will help.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  6. Giraffes

Giraffes Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I made huge changes during lockdown and due to limeted choice learnt to 'be alone' and gain a new energy, based on myself with no influence on others and my own expectantation of 'social norm' then 6 monlths later i move back into a more usual way of being ie. a job, being with people and 'fitting in' or in my case being different, and THEN MY ANXIETY RETURNS LIKE A STRONG WIND i feel anxious, lonely and troubled, prehaps it shows that a existance without those pressures is a simpler way of life, yet i have to earn money to have shelter and i do want a connection with the world so i find myself more that a bit muddled and confused as to a positive way forward!!!!

7. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

Can't say I'm looking forward to the possibility of yet another potential full-fledged lockdown.

Though maybe another one might be more tolerable if it occurs in the dead of winter. :eek:

8. Progster

Covid has risen sharply in the country where I live, particularly in the larger cities, some of which are close to lockdown. In early December I have to go and have medical scans and tests done at the hospital in the capital, and this is making me extremely anxious. The fact that I might catch Covid, the disruption, the queues, the waiting, the changes in procedures, having to stay away from home. I hate it, I wish I could just not go.

9. William Weiler

William Weiler Ad Astra V.I.P Member

I have a Marie Calender frozen Razzleberry pie in the oven. Turns out baking and work are compatible. Hmmm. I also hike while it is light from 4-6pm, and then work till 8pm. I also don't commute. I also do my AA meetings sometimes in Russia.

My cat and I are closer. My apartment looks fantastic, really renovated the heck out of it. It has never been so clean. My neighbors are better friends. I went to Target yesterday at 4pm to get my son the new Minecraft CreeperCrunch Cereal and then work an extra hour to make up the time. I have everyones number at work and I get to mentor my butt off. I am reconnected on Linkedin with old co-workers. I made some friends 2hrs away in SF I call everyday. I post so much funny stuff on reddit and this forum. Pie's done.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. Aspychata

Aspychata Serenity waves, beachy vibes

l like the way you think.☺

11. Myrtonos

Myrtonos Well-Known Member

Do you also hate mask wearing?

12. William Weiler

William Weiler Ad Astra V.I.P Member

I cope by laughing at it, or pointing out the positive. People who find it serious don't like this, but it helps a lot of people to relax and removes some gloom and doom. I posted my Halloween display in media here. Let me see if I can get a link. It might be removed for being insensitive.

Attached Files:

13. Progster

I don't like wearing the mask, though I understand the necessity to do so. I find it uncomfortable and feel like I can't breathe easily, and then keep touching it to readjust it, which you are not supposed to do.

Now there have bee a few covid cases detected in the place where I have to go to have the tests. Joy! (not).

14. Myrtonos

Myrtonos Well-Known Member

You don't or shouldn't even have to wear them in places were sufficient social distances are quite easy to maintain.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Progster

Where I live, you only have to wear a mask in indoor public spaces.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Sherlock77

Sherlock77 Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I still feel like I'm struggling with it, like the annual Christmas Market just south of town, it's still happening with Covid restrictions... I really wanted to go, maybe trying to engineer some cheer in my life... With restrictions fewer people can go, and with my dumb luck and I guess because I'm too slow, it's sold out so I can't go! I'm not happy, I feel like I needed that this weekend... Now every major holiday/event for 2020 has not really happened, it gets me a little depressed sometimes...

• Like Like x 1
  17. QueenOfFrance87

QueenOfFrance87 Let them eat tuna! V.I.P Member

My uncle is diagnosed with Covid-19 now. Just months before, he had an unknown heart problem. I wonder if the two are related somehow?

Anyway, I am keeping him in my prayers.

• Friendly Friendly x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Yeshuasdaughter

Yeshuasdaughter Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

What my local grocery store looks like.... again.
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. QueenOfFrance87

QueenOfFrance87 Let them eat tuna! V.I.P Member

Once again, people chose to be stupid again, and now we have to stay home for a month. I am worried my 10 person Xmas party will be affected. I feel that my family and friends are the only smart ones here, but everyone else had to make poor decisions like they don't care. WEAR A FREAKING MASK, PEOPLE! HOW HARD IS IT TO DO THAT!?

EDIT: I think I have it now. My throat is full of mucus, my nose is acting up, and I have urges to cough. My mom is at the store buying things for my throat, but I doubt it will help. I will get sent to the hospital alone, without anyone to talk to but the stupid nurses, and I will die.

We don't have a thermometer in the house, but I just know that I won't make it. I will miss my family, friends, and imaginary BF if I go. I am angry that people have no regards to my safety.

EDIT 2: I don't have coronavirus after all, but the party may not happen. My mom says it will regardless, but this stay-at-home order will last until halfway through December, and there will be a chance that it will be extended. If Christmas is ruined for me, I might as well tell every kid that Santa isn't real, because that's the truth. My life sucks...

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. oregano

oregano is plotting his escape

California Governor Newsom hasn't issued a general stay at home order yet but he and other officials are telling people to not do any nonessential travel and not to have big Thanksgiving gatherings since covid is being spread in big privately held parties. We can only have Thanksgiving with our immediate households.

I have decided not to go out unless necessary until at least after the new year because people are deliberately driving like maniacs due to boredom and wanting to be edgy and rebellious any way they can and I've almost had my car totaled at least twice by drunks going bonkers, both times in the slums on the north side.

I also told my mom that I will be spending my Thanksgiving alone this year. She will just have my aunt and uncle and their son and his GF over, but I still feel it's too risky since I have diabetes and if I catch it I will die. So I bought a seasoned turkey breast and will be cooking and eating that. I suck at cooking instant stuffing so my mom said she will cook a box for me the day before so I will have it to heat and eat.

My 46th birthday is the day after and I will not be celebrating it at all, I will be home alone. Then I have noted the days I have to go out for doctor appts (four, maybe five), and then tried to figure how long I can stay indoors (two or three days in a row, but I'm shooting for four). So by the time the current restrictions are relaxed, likely mid-January, I hope I will have more money saved than I had thought I would. Then it is only a month til move.

• Agree Agree x 1