• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
People are still attracted to bars despite no music on phones allowed no music in bar allowed and no sound on tv allowed, I would like to see no bars open I don't see them as essential

Lately l feel overwhelmed with the amount of people out of jobs. l feel oberwhelmed with the fact that people can't afford rent. l feel overwhelmed that woman are force to live with abusive men. It's left me sad inside.

I know it will eventually be less of a issue, but this tunnel has been long, and the light at the end has been dim.

Will anybody truly change? Will we find enlightenment, environmentally concerned and altruistic changed people as a result of this? Will more people turn to religion? Or will this create a race of hardened people completely out for themselves? This is a lot to comprehend in one very short lifetime.

^During the Great Depression churches were packed. Everybody looked out for everybody else. If you saw a hitchhiker on the side of the road and you had an extra seat you picked him up. If you could afford a candy bar or popsicle you broke half off and gave it to your friend. (In fact, some candy bars and popsicles in that era were specifically made so they could break apart easily to facilitate sharing.)

I am afraid the opposite will happen today. America will become another Argentina, where you always swivel your head and keep a large knife in your pocket. There is no trust, from each other to big institutions like banks. It's too risky to have friends. You only talk to other people when absolutely necessary, and only as much as is needed for a transaction. The government is run by a faraway elite solely to enrich them. Life is a hardscrabble struggle for survival, and the only way to eat is to steal food from somebody else's mouth. Distended parks become fetid shantytowns. You are always prepared to kill on a moment's notice.

Edit: Your comment reminded me of the great potato famine in Ireland. That country is surrounded by sea but the diet was totally land based in those days. They could have eaten the abundance of the sea and survived! But they didn't do that for reasons I don't understand.

The Irish didn't have access to fish unless they were costal fishermen or lived near the coasts. A good portion of the fish caught were exported to England, along with grain and other foodstuffs. In fact during the potato famine, exports increased. Farmers and townfolk lived inland, not on the coasts, which are somewhat barren. Arable land was a distance away from the coasts near freshwater lakes and rivers.

Irish Catholics no longer owned their land, they became tenant farmers after their land was deeded to English and Irish landowners loyal to the Crown. Some Irish protestants managed to keep their farms. Irish Catholics leased an acre or two for their own needs in some situations. Although the goods they may have attempted to sell were heavily taxed by the English.

Last edited:
I haven't related so much to a thread in a long time!! To this day i hate eating in front of people because of the amount of grief i've gotten for it because i have such bad food texture issues. Especially at home growing up. And now i'm allergic to dairy so that's like a third of my diet i need to cut out....somehow. It would be easier to adjust if i could just eat normally. i can't tolerate a lot of textures. Like most meats; my dad's great at cooking ground chicken every which way, but anything else its not guarented i can eat it. Almost all fruits and veggies. Orange juice and applesauce and sometimes peaches (rarely) and that's it. Tomato pasta sauce is as close as i get to veggies. It makes eating in front of people so hard...and having to adjust my diet for good allergies so so difficult...i have so much shame and embarrasment and guilt for something i really can't help. Food texture issues cause autism.

Harder. COVID is fake, it's blatant.
Cashless society to make it harder for homeless.
Vaccine that contains nanobots to control our brain, might sound sci-fi but you'd be amazed at how prophetic sci-fi can be.
Elon musk is already looking into connecting us to computers.

Took my grandson to 'eat out' in UK. Practice for both of us.(getting out and about again)
Very pleased with protocols in place at restaurant concerning social distancing.

Wonderful, friendly employees. Couldn't do enough for us.

At a time when this industry is trying to win back customers, I'm seeing some good old fashioned customer service.

I like this change :)

Of course it wont last forever. Focus will turn to profit eventually (pack 'em in)
but for the moment, it's a pleasant change.

Is anyone else having any trouble wearing a mask? I'm talking about Covid-19 masks, not autistic masking. They are just so uncomfortable I want to scream every time they get near me. I have only left my house once since this whole pandemic started and am beginning to go a little stir crazy. Most of my autistic friends seem fine wearing masks, I feel so alone and isolated.

I don't mind wearing mask.
Not so much of my face shows and that can
be an advantage to me since I don't have to
think about what to do with my face when I
am around people.

Got used to wearing masks, even the local store requires them as well as the post office. It's the hand sanitizer that's a problem, some of it's burning my skin after repeated use. Some businesses are making their own and my spouse is getting skin rashes from it.

I like that when I wear a mask, no one can tell if I'm frowning or amused by them.

Last edited:
That's interesting about the facial expressions tree. I tend to think my face is usually wrong most of the time, I suppose it would be nice if people didn't notice.

Mia, that's too bad about the hand sanitizer. I have been using some after I bring in packages that have been delivered but so far haven't had any problems.

Is anyone else having any trouble wearing a mask? I'm talking about Covid-19 masks, not autistic masking. They are just so uncomfortable I want to scream every time they get near me. I have only left my house once since this whole pandemic started and am beginning to go a little stir crazy. Most of my autistic friends seem fine wearing masks, I feel so alone and isolated.
I can tolerate them for a short period to go to the supermarket for example, but find them uncomfortable to wear. I also find it hard to breathe. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to have to wear one all day for work as many people do.

Covering up most of my face with a mask, shades and a cap FTW.
What facial expressions? What eye contact?

One thing I really miss is going to the local public library.

And even when it reopens, covid has turned me (along with most everyone else) into such a germaphobe, I probably will not feel comfortable handling books that have been handled by others and using the chairs and tables/desks.

I miss going on ferry rides too. Those also have taken on the form of being like a virus factory. I bet most who need them for transportation stay in their cars. Then again, there might even be a rule that you have to stay in your car.

Just occurred to me, people are having a difficult time reading facial expressions because of masks.

Welcome to my world, now you know what's it's like most of the time, for people with autism.

Last edited:
I can tolerate them for a short period to go to the supermarket for example, but find them uncomfortable to wear. I also find it hard to breathe. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like to have to wear one all day for work as many people do.
That's good you are able to tolerate them for short periods. I couldn't imagine wearing one all day either.

I can wear a cotton, washable mask.
I have to let the carbon dioxide out and fresh air in every so often or feel claustrophobic.
(pull mask away under chin briefly)

I would appear I'm having difficulty hearing and understanding others correctly when their mouths are covered.
I must have depended on reading face/lip/ mouth shapes in order to understand speech a lot more than I realised.

I only go shopping when I have to I thought coughers had to stay at home and self isolate there were coughers in the shop.
People who have symptoms of Covid19, which might include a cough, or who have a persistent cough or cold/flu-like symptoms should stay at home. However, one doesn't have to be ill to have a cough. Sometimes people are just clearing their throat, or they may have inhaled a bit of dust or saliva, and that can cause coughing. I often cough without being sick.

New Threads

Top Bottom