• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
Sadly- this is my first vacation off from jobs, family duties, general chores etc. I am older and defintely appreciate not having to be anywhere except with one handsome exception. Lol.

Last edited:
My local Safeway has a VERY LONG line of people waiting to get in. They're only allowing a few dozen people in the store at once, so everybody has to wait outside with other sick people while trying to gauge an approximate six foot mark from each other. I took one look at that and drove away. Raley's (a regional chain) isn't like that yet, but they have shut down all the hot food and bakery and deli departments. Prepackaged food only. I never did get the fried chicken I was looking for, wound up with chicken nuggets from McD's instead. It's just as well. Water is being rationed now, two one gallon bottles or two 24 packs of pint bottles per customer per day. Ramen is also being rationed. I haven't been to Wal Mart lately, but I've heard that there is a customer limit per store now there too.

I stumbled upon something interesting on the ham radio bands today. Apparently a ham in Wisconsin has set up the Coronavirus Network. If you have a shortwave radio capable of receiving single sideband signals, you can listen in. (You have to be a licensed ham to PARTICIPATE, but anybody can LISTEN.) Apparently he bounces around between 14.250-14.270 Mhz USB starting at around 2020 UTC (UTC is the special universal time format used by hams, for reference that is 1:20 pm Pacific Daylight Time) to around 2150 UTC. He takes check ins from all over North America with people giving reports.

These were fairly green with corrosion when I started, but after changing the glass beads in my blasting cabinet, it made short work of restoring these fine old cast bronze bookends.
I'm very satisfied with the outcome :)

20200408_191746.jpg

Today's project was a repair to a WWII relic I found in a box of "stuff"
20200409_171007.jpg

The picture frame was badly mangled and one of the guards had been broken off.
I straightened the frame as best I could, re-soldered it to the guard and re-soldered a corner.
Next I took a fine brass wire brush and polished some of the patina off the guards and the frame.
What was really interesting was a dog's picture that resided underneath the troop's image.
That gave me chills just thinking about what the entire story was behind it.
I did a lookup on Camp Upton that was originally a training camp for WWI on 9,000 acres in Yaphank, an area of Long Island, New York that was reopened by the government in 1940 and served again as a training camp for WWII.
In 1944 it was also used as a war veteran convalescent and rehabilitation facility.
A darker side of the camp was it's role as a Japanese American citizen internment camp.
After the war in the Pacific had ended, it was turned into Brookhaven National Laboratory where they study particle physics among other things to this very day.

In my early 20s, I built a mass spectrometer probe that was a part of a mass spec we sold to that lab.

Today, Brookhaven is using their resources to help with our most recent dilemma with COVID-19
BNL | COVID-19 Research
How cool is that?

Semi-finished, but still in need the glass, this will be a fine addition to my WWII trench art collection:
20200409_171032.jpg

World-War-II-time-barracks-and-buildings-at-Camp-Upton-NY-Photo-courtesy-of-the.png

Camp Upton barracks, WWII

Last edited:
View attachment 61456

I straightened the frame as best I could, re-soldered it to the guard and re-soldered a corner.
Next I took a fine brass wire brush and polished some of the patina off the guards and the frame.
What was really interesting was a dog's picture that resided underneath the troop's image.
I did a lookup on Camp Upton that was originally a training camp for WWI on 9,000 acres in Yaphank, an area of Long Island, New York that was reopened by the government in 1940 and served again as a training camp for WWII.
In 1944 it was also used as a war veteran convalescent and rehabilitation facility.
A darker side of the camp was it's role as a Japanese American citizen internment camp.
After the war in the Pacific had ended, it was turned into Brookhaven National Laboratory where they study particle physics among other things to this very day.

In my early 20s, I built a mass spectrometer probe that was a part of a mass spec we sold to that lab.

Today, Brookhaven is using their resources to help with our most recent dilemma with COVID-19
BNL | COVID-19 Research
How cool is that?

Semi-finished, but still in need the glass, this will be a fine addition to my WWII trench art collection:
View attachment 61457

View attachment 61455

OMG - someone else who knows what trench art is! I have a solid brass lamp carved from some kind of mortar shell, an ashtray and a matches holder with copper trim, all via my grandfather who served in both WWI and WWII. I haven't been able to determine which war they are from. They are truly unique works of art.

View attachment 61456

BNL | COVID-19 Research
How cool is that?

View attachment 61457

View attachment 61455
20200409_193105.jpg

I know the point of the posts about the bookends isn't that there is a picture of a dog,
but the idea of a dog, sitting up posing for a picture snags my imagination.

Whose dog?
Who taught the dog to sit up?
What happened to the person?
How did the dog fair?

And the fact that the dog is long dead.
That thought occurs to me when I see movie images of animals, too.
More often than thinking "that person is no longer living."

I think of the animals.

In this case, an animal companion to a human in military service, presumably.
Other animals don't join the army, although some of their lives are spent in
service to their community. Bees, for example.

I really felt quite moved by the sight of the dog.

It is apparent that the way tree is dealing with the C-19 situation
is not different from how tree was dealing with situations prior to it.
Apparent to me, anyway. I am at home. I go out for groceries and
to walk by myself. I use the internet and the phone.

Well, they officially cancelled school for the rest of the year here, but the teachers banded together for an Easter drive by parade for the students.
Might have been 30 cars or so, all waving and blowing their horns.
It was touching to say the least.

Start of the parade:
20200410_094331.jpg

Neighbors:
20200410_094734.jpg

20200410_094803.jpg

@Nitro: Similar parade in Yreka:

Impromptu parade spreads morale during COVID-19 school shutdowns

They seem to be happening a lot more, apparently this one was inspired by one in the Omaha, Nebraska, area. Keep in mind that Yreka is in a long, narrow valley hemmed in by steep hills. There are only two through streets north-south and two roads leading past the hills on the east. (Not counting the freeway.) It seems that this parade was on Oregon Street which is the only "community" N-S road, the other road is California 3 (Main Street) and is heavily used. So there wasn't much need to choose a parade route. I hope these parades can happen more in bigger cities and not just little towns. I haven't heard of any parades in urban California.

There is some cleaning products but TP is still missing on our shelves. Some cashiers seem down, so l always thank them for coming to work when l cash out. My bankteller was a little stressed today.

My local Safeway has a VERY LONG line of people waiting to get in. They're only allowing a few dozen people in the store at once, so everybody has to wait outside with other sick people while trying to gauge an approximate six foot mark from each other. I took one look at that and drove away. Raley's (a regional chain) isn't like that yet, but they have shut down all the hot food and bakery and deli departments. Prepackaged food only. I never did get the fried chicken I was looking for, wound up with chicken nuggets from McD's instead. It's just as well. Water is being rationed now, two one gallon bottles or two 24 packs of pint bottles per customer per day. Ramen is also being rationed. I haven't been to Wal Mart lately, but I've heard that there is a customer limit per store now there too.

I stumbled upon something interesting on the ham radio bands today. Apparently a ham in Wisconsin has set up the Coronavirus Network. If you have a shortwave radio capable of receiving single sideband signals, you can listen in. (You have to be a licensed ham to PARTICIPATE, but anybody can LISTEN.) Apparently he bounces around between 14.250-14.270 Mhz USB starting at around 2020 UTC (UTC is the special universal time format used by hams, for reference that is 1:20 pm Pacific Daylight Time) to around 2150 UTC. He takes check ins from all over North America with people giving reports.
Do you have grocery pickup? It is very good. They have no contact. No rolling down windows, even. I did delivery, but I did not find that as helpful.

Omg. Now all the states are all over the place about when it's time to roll forward. I heard that the protest groups seem to have five gun right organizations behind them. I am thinking did l hear the news correctly?
What???? There are only 4 antibody tests okayed by the FDA. The rest seem to be not consistent as far as results. But my store shelves look pretty full.

Sorry tree. ☹ I read a story today about a sweet little girl died and just was so upset about it. Her dad was a firefighter and her mom is a policeman and she was only 5 years old.

Hello,

I have been in self isolation for 6 weeks now and I live alone. I have suspected I am Autistic for the for past 2 years but have always then felt a silly about getting a formal diagnosis, as I'm 33. I think this is my own battle more than anything else. I have had people drop hints about various things I do, the way I am and generally my behaviours. I can't be near certain noises at all, the same with temperatures too. I also feel very uncomfortable woth certain clothing and when being touched at times. I also like to eat the same foods, and alwas have to check the texture before I eat it, although I have learned to mask this. I especially struggle with lots of people talking at once, it is like multiple daggers in my head and I get very anxious very quickly. This is the reason why I hate crowds. There are also times when I am very sensitive to light, both artificial and sunlight. In hindsight I have always stimmed too.

The reason I wanted to post today, is that since the lockdown, these symptoms have gotten much much worse. I am stimming much much more, am more anxious, and on the two occasions I gone out to get food, I have become very overwhelmed, not because of the fear of the virus, but because I notice so many changes. I am very sensitive of people and overly empathic it would seem too. I find it hard to walk along the street at times due to the noise which I seem not to be used to anymore, and the daylight too. But the worst thing is actually being in a supermarket, even the small ones. I came home and was very upset and it took me a few hours on both occasions to feel calm again. I find this very unnerving as I have always been able to cope and to mask, but now I seem to be showing much more noticable struggles.

I have noticed that generally speaking, all of the above has much increased in severity and now I am very worried also about being around people again and going back to my life as t was before. I worry about the noise, the amount of people, the amount of voices, even the intensity of the lights which aren't like my lights at home. I worry the most that I won't be able to mask as I did before, and that people will comment on my stimming.

I guess I am wondering if anyone has had similar experiences? I think it would be reasuring to hear other peoples stories.

Thanks in advance

Danny

Creating some new (preferred) routines over the past five weeks means I have to push myself to step outside my comfort zone when the time comes to try to find another job.

All around me started regular hand washing and considered the finer points of transferring germs and I thought 'welcome to my world' :)

Later, Self isolation protocol meant a full house and a yet more changes to my routines.
some good, some not so good.

Lack of factual information and the uncertainty surrounding reliable testing and potential vaccines means many are still furloughed from work and have taken up second jobs,
the vacancies that would otherwise be available to the likes of me.

I guess I'm not good at 'uncertainty'

I worry about the noise, the amount of people, the amount of voices, even the intensity of the lights which aren't like my lights at home.
I dislike noise and crowds too. There are some things I have to get through and I dread doing, for example, public transport journeys fill me with a sense of dread. I'm often out of my comfort zone and often make myself do things I don't want to do, such as visits to the doctor.

One way I deal with noise is to either wear earplugs when I go out, or headphones with music. For the lights you could wear sunglasses.

One good thing about the social distancing is that there are no longer crowds or busy supermarkets.

While many people in this country accepts and indeed favours the government's approach to tackling coronavirus through a lockdown, Peter Hitchens is a lonely dissenting voice, arguing that the UK approach is disproportionate to the threat it presents.

While the state's advice is to stay at home and socially distance from others, Hitchens says he's concerned about the economic consequence of this will be worse than the damage caused by the virus itself.

(Peter Hitchens is a columnist for The Daily Mail)

I don't see how the lockdown is disproportionate to the problem?

We've lost 20,000 lives in four weeks - what might the toll have been without lockdown?

On the other hand, after 4 weeks of lockdown the UK had another 800 deaths and it seems to be an average daily rate.

More and more people are beginning to ignore the advice to stay at home now and perhaps the warm weather and the ensuing summer will be a game-changer: people just aren't going to stay indoors.

I do think that we should gradually ease people back into work where social distancing is possible and maybe the first thing for Boris to do at his desk tomorrow morning is to ditch HS2.

What is the point of continuing with it - surely saving lives and protecting front line health workers is more important than making a journey from London to Nottingham twelve minutes faster.

Bo-Jo is raring to go apparently and will have some decision making to do in the face of opposition to the lockdown continuing. He has been very Conservative in not giving the police absolute power of enforcement and in my opinion there are just too many caveats and grey areas.

No wonder then as people can see they have a choice, many choose to go about their daily lives, some wearing PPE and some not.

New Threads

Top Bottom