• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dating advice please

Do you have autism as well as BPD?

Yes, and I have ADHD!

It's like those value packs where you get three crappy movies for one low price!

But they're all very similar and are known to live together so even when it sounds like an insane amount of things, the amount of overlap means each only contributes a couple of new challenges.

And I take medication five times a day, so I actually come off as relatively normal and stable! Acquaintances describe me as "very normal," "easy-going," and " so calm". It's kind of hilarious! :D

I should have realized sooner that I was being used and walked but I didn’t. My esteem was quite bad, still is but that’s a different issue...but I should have taken the responsibility and not have allowed it to get to that point.
I completely relate to that!
Short term is good though! You were cleverer than I was to get out sooner.

Although ultimately I wish I’d have left sooner, I’m lucky to take away some positives from the relationship. It taught me some critical thinking skills that I didn’t have before. I think when you are faced with constant criticism, it’s a matter of survival in terms of your mental health, and you learn to question the legitimacy of the criticism. I believe it’s how I became brave enough to leave in the end. I’m not sure if he realised it, but I became far too wise because of his behaviour towards me, to put up with his behaviour.
My special interest which is ‘Theory of Mind’ (as suggested by Autistamatic) I believe is a result from that relationship.

I completely relate to that!
Short term is good though! You were cleverer than I was to get out sooner.

Although ultimately I wish I’d have left sooner, I’m lucky to take away some positives from the relationship. It taught me some critical thinking skills that I didn’t have before. I think when you are faced with constant criticism, it’s a matter of survival in terms of your mental health, and you learn to question the legitimacy of the criticism. I believe it’s how I became brave enough to leave in the end. I’m not sure if he realised it, but I became far too wise because of his behaviour towards me, to put up with his behaviour.
My special interest which is ‘Theory of Mind’ (as suggested by Autistamatic) I believe is a result from that relationship.

I’m glad that you were brave to leave, I’m also glad that you can take positives from your experience.

Before I met my wife at age 35, I had 5 relationships that lasted a couple of years or more and involved co-habiting, including a previous marriage. There were quite a few shorter term girlfriends too. I learned from the mistakes I made in every one but also learned from the unnecessary compromises I made.
Compromise is important in any relationship, but when it becomes one sided it's corrosive. It can be hard to admit that to yourself. I'm happy you found the courage to do that Onna. Better to be where you are now than in a relationship that corrodes your soul.
It won't last forever either ;)

An Aspie who likes to feel they are in control and who gets frustrated at the apparent irrational decisions and behaviour of the people they interact with???
Good heavens to Betsy! Have you ever heard of such a thing?!?!?!

AWOOGA
AWOOGA
ESSAY ALERT!
THERE'S AN ESSAY COMING!
AWOOGA

Onna - you are not a control freak any more than any of us is, but I think what people have been saying, quite rightly too, is that it's easy for our behaviour to be perceived this way by others.
All you have done is try to relieve your uncertainty and anxiety over an unexplained apparent lack of interest from another party. Any one of us could and would have done similar. Even if we didn't ACT on the impulse to contact the guy, we would likely have thought about it and wanted to.
His misinterpretation of your interest and desire to control your own uncertainty is a risk we always take and one of which can have very little control of the outcome. In essence - if he thinks you are a pushy cow then that's on him - his take on things. You know your intentions were far from pushy and motivated by vulnerability, not a desire to be possessive.
This is kind of what I was saying above which you asked for an example of. The opinion one has about the actions of another can be either emotionally driven or rationally driven. In most people there is a balance between the two although biased in one direction. It is not unusual for someone on the spectrum to be biased towards rationality as it is not uncommon for NT people to take the emotional route. Neither is a given rule and the approach will not only vary by person but by the nature of the situation in question and the personal history of the person making judgement.
Part of the function of natural "Theory of Mind" (ToM) and "Cognitive Empathy" is to make unconscious judgements of the intentions and future behaviour of others based on learned experience. It amounts to snap judgements - decisions made in an instant that govern our reactions and it is human nature to rely on and abide by those decisions. It is a contiguous property of ToM to also believe that your interpretation of another person's motivation is correct and would be shared by others.
An Aspie who may have a less effective facility for ToM will either make emotional decisions which appear flawed and sometimes childish to others (lashing out, refusing to take advice they asked for, never admitting to being wrong etc.), or is fully aware of their lacking in this department and makes up for it in conscious evaluation. It is the latter type which I believe you, me and a significant number of people in this community who have expressed their own inability to let things go, their constant reevaluation of past events, their confusion at the irrationality of others and many other problems, are a part of.
The common perception of autistic people is that our lesser degree of ToM is the former type - that we make immature, poorly informed decisions. The truth seems to be that whilst some of us do, others are making very carefully considered (and slower) decisions based upon deep thought and calculation that may be far more balanced and rational than the "usually right" gut instinct decisions made by our NT peers.
In your situation, a person with a fully functional ToM may have just thought;
"Bugger it - he's clearly not interested" and moved on. They would not have spent days poring over it, thought of all the possibilities, doubted themselves and then come on a public forum like this and discussed it at depth. They wouldn't need to. ToM makes the decision for them, they know they are right and they would tell their friends of their decision in the full belief that those friends would agree with their take on events.
As I said in the ToM video a couple of months back, an Aspie who doubts their judgement due to a lesser ToM and tries to compensate through systemising situations, has a kind of emotional "pause button" that causes them to stop and rethink before reacting. It's slow and infuriating to some NTs but it helps us make better decisions.
If you have perfectly functional ToM you may make some poor decisions, but you are unlikely to blame yourself and can "breeze through life" happy in the knowledge that whatever you do, it's what "everyone would have done". Having a poor ToM backed up by rationality means having doubts but always being safe in the knowledge that whatever you did, it was for the right reasons, and you can explain those reasons when challenged.
I'll stop for breath now.....
Instead we have our own purpose, like the universe is trying to rebalance or something. Our skills, xxxx xxxxx xxxxxx, could prove useful in future generations.

there is a lot of conflict in this typically NT world, the average NT like you said ‘breezes through life’ compared to us. To be blunt (and with no judgement intended) perhaps it’s the ‘art of not giving a sh*t’? I sometimes feel that it’s their world that we get to observe them living it. We can try join in, but it’ll never quite feel the same.
This!, This!, AND This!

As I have been in relationships with NT's, am a "people watcher", and generally analyze things with great accuracy,
I'm just going to drop this here.

One who acts on emotion as a principle driver cannot be trusted.

Every single time I have entrusted my...
"emotional wellbeing", to whatever degree, to an "emotive", "allistic", whatever, I have been hurt purposely and correspondingly. They seem to be perfectly happy to act on the roll of the dice that determines their emotions, the one that determines how extremely they act on them, the one that includes whether to hurt a loved one intentionally or not, and to be likewise subjected to the dice rolls of all the rest of those like them, and what they "determine".
There have been times that I have been hurt unintentionally. Far and few between.
I worked through them in a more or less healthy way, but invariably, the one careless enough to not consider that you may be hurt inadvertantly, ultimately is hurting you purposely, because they purposely do not consider you when they act. This may be considered by some to be passive, but after hurting a loved one one time, it is proof positive that actions based on their emotions can unintentionally hurt others---
to not change the state is active, period.
And, it is most definitely possible, easy, even, to stop acting on emotion principally, if you wish to do so. You simply have to care about someone other than yourself.
I will also admit, that by almost every person I was "unintentionally" hurt by, I was eventually hurt fully intentionally by.
It seems as if they live to hurt and be hurt by one another. Oh, there may be a kindness thrown in, once in a while, but it is with unpredictable frequency, and doesn't alleviate the danger that continuing unpredictability causes. There are also those "others" that are kind, and conscious of the effects of their actions-- there are a few amazing individuals here-- but they seem to be exceedingly rare.

I'm tired of rolling in the mud with the hogs, and turning around to ask why I'm dirty.
It is this "down and dirty"-ness that I will not
submerge myself into, again.
Those ruled by emotion will not willingly be entrusted with my emotions again, if I can help it.
Rationality is paramount.
Everything else follows.

Oh, I won't stop entertaining the idea, nor will I discriminate(unless the red flags are waving, and the klaxon is sounding,) against someone that shows interest based on their respective "neurology", I just don't see my happiness and comfort(or another's, hence my restraint) as worth risking in "the roll of the dice". I'll watch and listen.

As for myself, having learned what I've learned, knowing that I have been more or less faultless beyond the breaking point,
loyal to the end, kind, accomodating, understanding, I am considering that I need to seek the same.
I want stability, and promise the same.

I'm still hopelessly resigned to the belief that there is someone out there, to love and be loved by, should we happen to meet.

If rationality is the approach taken by most/many Aspies, then that is where I will focus my search.

How the hell I do that seems to be
another issue entirely.

May you be well.

sidd

Last edited:
Sounds like he might have been a married man out for a bit on the side but realised that you are a good girl and did not want to tamper.

Instead we have our own purpose, like the universe is trying to rebalance or something.
BTW, I love this.
This is a deeply held belief of mine.
Exactly, quote unquote.

Glad to know that someone else believes it too.
Thanks!

BTW, I love this.
This is a deeply held belief of mine.
Exactly, quote unquote.

Glad to know that someone else believes it too.
Thanks!
Yeah, you’re obviously quite spiritual. Apparently a lot of Autistic people are more drawn to religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism etc. It’s definitely something I’m interested in myself, and I’m not lying when I say, that it’s something that feels completely natural, it’s not forced at all. I really don’t know much of the literature of spirituality at all, but whenever I do read something new, it’s as though I’m already living with those values that they’re teaching others anyway. For example spirituality feels more like a biography rather than a practice.
I’m confident that you and many others on here can relate to that.

Yeah, you’re obviously quite spiritual. Apparently a lot of Autistic people are more drawn to religions such as Buddhism, Hinduism etc. It’s definitely something I’m interested in myself, and I’m not lying when I say, that it’s something that feels completely natural, it’s not forced at all. I really don’t know much of the literature of spirituality at all, but whenever I do read something new, it’s as though I’m already living with those values that they’re teaching others anyway. For example spirituality feels more like a biography rather than a practice.
I’m confident that you and many others on here can relate to that.
It's exactly as you say.
Somehow Buddhism had escaped my study, though Hinduism had not.
Then, at age 32 I was presented with a book about it, and the opportunity to read it.
I was amazed to find that it was identical to my self-developed philosophy.
I discovered that I was buddhist.
Always had been.
Almost as if I was born with it.
I was amazed, also, to find that the deeper, lesser known philosophical points expanded upon my own and were based entirely on logic.

It had been the "floweriness", the conventional "fluff" that had veered me away from it's study.
I now understand the purpose of the fluff.
Most people are reluctant to study anything dry, analytical, self-critical.
They want to hear about someone getting shot, stabbed or laser-beamed.
They want pictures.

It is far more comfortable for most to let the mind run willy-nilly, and consider it "freedom". Mental anarchists.

Just like the body or brain, there is an anatomy of mind that we can learn and understand. We can control our own happiness to a much greater degree, and minimize causing harm to ourselves and others simultaneously. Logic.

It's fascinating that your experience has been remarkably similar. I've always felt this need to proceed with a plan, a template, with a direction, at least, if not a "goal".

Sorry if I went on, here, I so rarely have the opportunity to talk about these experiences.
Maybe I need to start a thread.

Thank you,

sidd

It's exactly as you say.
Somehow Buddhism had escaped my study, though Hinduism had not.
Then, at age 32 I was presented with a book about it, and the opportunity to read it.
I was amazed to find that it was identical to my self-developed philosophy.
I discovered that I was buddhist.
Always had been.
Almost as if I was born with it.
I was amazed, also, to find that the deeper, lesser known philosophical points expanded upon my own and were based entirely on logic.

It had been the "floweriness", the conventional "fluff" that had veered me away from it's study.
I now understand the purpose of the fluff.
Most people are reluctant to study anything dry, analytical, self-critical.
They want to hear about someone getting shot, stabbed or laser-beamed.
They want pictures.

It is far more comfortable for most to let the mind run willy-nilly, and consider it "freedom". Mental anarchists.

Just like the body or brain, there is an anatomy of mind that we can learn and understand. We can control our own happiness to a much greater degree, and minimize causing harm to ourselves and others simultaneously. Logic.

It's fascinating that your experience has been remarkably similar. I've always felt this need to proceed with a plan, a template, with a direction, at least, if not a "goal".

Sorry if I went on, here, I so rarely have the opportunity to talk about these experiences.
Maybe I need to start a thread.

Thank you,

sidd
I’d be interested in that thread if you decide to start it.
I came across this article about the likeliness of Gandhi having been on the spectrum. Have you read it? It’s a nice read.
Human Rights Autism - How Autism Helped Mahatma Gandhi Free India ( Frank L. Ludwig)

How about you Moomin, do you still date?

I want to. I’m envious that my sibling can go out and date and has friends....for me I’m still trying to work in progress it. My relationship, granted just the one, was not what I had thought it would be. It was very hurtful, I did get hurt emotionally and physically, I was used sexually, and I’m still at that stage of wondering if I did anything wrong, if I had done something else, and why I allowed it to continue after I found out that he went to Brazil to spend time with another there. And yet, I’m glad that I did walk. Too slow, but I’m glad I did, I’m just trying to work on myself til I’m less suspicious of people.

I want to. I’m envious that my sibling can go out and date and has friends....for me I’m still trying to work in progress it. My relationship, granted just the one, was not what I had thought it would be. It was very hurtful, I did get hurt emotionally and physically, I was used sexually, and I’m still at that stage of wondering if I did anything wrong, if I had done something else, and why I allowed it to continue after I found out that he went to Brazil to spend time with another there. And yet, I’m glad that I did walk. Too slow, but I’m glad I did, I’m just trying to work on myself til I’m less suspicious of people.

You didn’t do anything wrong. There’s absolutely no reason for someone to treat anyone like that.

That's a rotten way to be treated @Moomin no matter what mistakes you may think you have made. Nothing justifies physical abuse, and any sexual behaviour not entirely consensual is at the very least distasteful, at the worst it's rape, in both a moral and legal sense.
You could be the most difficult woman on Earth and still not deserve to be treated that way. I'm glad you were able to escape it.
When you get back out there, of course you're going to be cautious, but remember that there are decent guys around who will put you first. You don't have to put up with that crap again ;)

You didn’t do anything wrong. There’s absolutely no reason for someone to treat anyone like that.

And yet for a long time I thought it was normal. I’m being too hard on myself, it was technically my first relationship...and I should have listened to my parents when they were concerned. Particularly my dad. I still have moments of rehashing it all, and I am taking it as a learning experience, even if it wasn’t a great start. Perhaps, one day I’ll get back on board but I’m not currently going to make the effort. I like my own time, and I need to work on getting into a better headspace. And like being me. Even though I know that there are good people out there, I’m cautious now because I’m not going to let it happen again.

I’m afraid that if I have a bad experience as my first experience, it does take me a while to redo it. In anything. Logic is a queer thing. It doesn’t maybe make sense. Although of course I know that relationships for anyone can be complex beasts with various experiences.

At least I didn’t end up with a pregnancy....I’d have complications. So that’s a good thing.

And yet for a long time I thought it was normal. I’m being too hard on myself, it was technically my first relationship...and I should have listened to my parents when they were concerned. Particularly my dad. I still have moments of rehashing it all, and I am taking it as a learning experience, even if it wasn’t a great start. Perhaps, one day I’ll get back on board but I’m not currently going to make the effort. I like my own time, and I need to work on getting into a better headspace. And like being me. Even though I know that there are good people out there, I’m cautious now because I’m not going to let it happen again.

I’m afraid that if I have a bad experience as my first experience, it does take me a while to redo it. In anything. Logic is a queer thing. It doesn’t maybe make sense. Although of course I know that relationships for anyone can be complex beasts with various experiences.

At least I didn’t end up with a pregnancy....I’d have complications. So that’s a good thing.
It’s a real shame that was your first experience.
Good ones certainly do exist. My first relationship lasted just over a year, he was a great guy, very intelligent, caring and interesting. So there’s hope.
But you’re right to look after yourself first. I know a bad relationship can leave you feeling all kinds of confused and stuck.

New Threads

Top Bottom