• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

COPING WITH EATING WHEN OVERLOADED/MELTDOWN DAYS?!

trustwaves

How do you cope when you're really overloaded or really stressed with food/eating?
I have intolerances and bad sensitivities + I CANT make good decisions when overloaded!!! What do you do when you're stressed or have had a meltdown?? Do you just not eat?? My brain forces me to eat and it's the WORST. Advice please? Xxx

I don't eat. I don't get hungry anyway, but when I'm overloaded I really couldn't eat even if I wanted to, and usually it's the last thing I want.

It can take a couple of days before I settle enough to eat again, and once or twice has been a lot longer.

I don't eat. I don't get hungry anyway, but when I'm overloaded I really couldn't eat even if I wanted to, and usually it's the last thing I want.

It can take a couple of days before I settle enough to eat again, and once or twice has been a lot longer.
Thankyou this is helpful. I'm like this but since my eating disorder my mind plays on my stress and forces me

Sometimes I can drink something, especially if its sweet. Instant breakfast, watered down orange juice or apple juice. I crave sweets after a meltdown. One time I drank a bowl of warm jello that was in the fridge, it hadn't gotten cool and jelled yet.

I lose my appetite completely when stress takes over. Like @BraidedPony I can take liquids and some sweets but solid food makes me nauseous. It can take a few days to calm down but I can stand to lose a few pounds so it doesn't exactly do me any harm.

Too much on your stomach is bad, the wrong kind of stuff (comfort binge) is bad, nothing on your stomach is bad.

Eat light and eat gentler foods for you. For me thats stuff like rice, toast, weak juices.

If you have problems thinking straight write out a list in advance and post it on your fridge.

How do you cope when you're really overloaded or really stressed with food/eating?
I have intolerances and bad sensitivities + I CANT make good decisions when overloaded!!! What do you do when you're stressed or have had a meltdown?? Do you just not eat?? My brain forces me to eat and it's the WORST. Advice please? Xxx

I wish I had some advice for you, but I struggle with something similar. It feels like my mind is forcing me to eat, and I'm completely out of control of what I'm eating, and I'm unable to make healthy choices. I haven't been able to figure out a way around this yet, but I'm hoping that by attempting to make small choices that are healthy along with the unhealthy ones that I can slowly get past this. For example, maybe I still eat fast food or something else unhealthy, but I also have something small that is healthy.

The only thing I can think for sure is that, if you've got a selection of healthy items available that are already ready to eat (fruit sliced up, healthy muffins already made, etc.) then maybe you might feel a bit more in control and able to reach for a healthy choice instead of an unhealthy one.

I usually am a good eater but if you have issues with eating/not wanting to eat I suggest you try to get good food into you. IE Fruits and protien.

I have raw almonds & dried apricots on hand. They keep well, need no preparation, & are good for a nibble. Plus they are healthy.

I lose my appetite completely when stress takes over. Like @BraidedPony I can take liquids and some sweets but solid food makes me nauseous. It can take a few days to calm down but I can stand to lose a few pounds so it doesn't exactly do me any harm.
Yeh I was like this and still am but can't afford to lose weight

Too much on your stomach is bad, the wrong kind of stuff (comfort binge) is bad, nothing on your stomach is bad.

Eat light and eat gentler foods for you. For me thats stuff like rice, toast, weak juices.

If you have problems thinking straight write out a list in advance and post it on your fridge.
This is very helpful Thankyou!

I wish I had some advice for you, but I struggle with something similar. It feels like my mind is forcing me to eat, and I'm completely out of control of what I'm eating, and I'm unable to make healthy choices. I haven't been able to figure out a way around this yet, but I'm hoping that by attempting to make small choices that are healthy along with the unhealthy ones that I can slowly get past this. For example, maybe I still eat fast food or something else unhealthy, but I also have something small that is healthy.

The only thing I can think for sure is that, if you've got a selection of healthy items available that are already ready to eat (fruit sliced up, healthy muffins already made, etc.) then maybe you might feel a bit more in control and able to reach for a healthy choice instead of an unhealthy one.
This is the exact same as me just my mind forces me to eat healthy foods even when I cant make them due to low energy I hope we will be able to get past this soon x

When I really get stressed I completely lose my appetite,the last thing I want to do is eat while in a state of panic or stress.

Well, first of all, I cook in batches when I have time and eat the same meal over tro or three days, and freeze what I can't eat within that time frame. I also make sure that healthy, easy to prepare food is always stocked in the fridge. This means that I always have healthy food available for the days when I have no time or I'm very stressed and not up to going to the supermarket or cooking.

When I'm stressed and/or anxious, I have no appetite and have to force myself to eat. I have had periods in the past where my anxiety was so severe that I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat for days and I stayed in bed. I got up, went to the doctor and he prescribed me Xanax and antidepressants. I don't take them now, but still have some Xanax stashed away for emergencies.

Herbal tea for stress and anxiety, such as camomile, helps too.

I have a similar issue I think. The only thing I can do to stop the hunger is to do some kind of physical exercise. I don't eat a lot, but what I do eat is apparently unhealthy and I'm looking for alternatives that also satiate my hunger.

I'm prone to struggling with the same thing, so you're definitely not alone in this. For me, what helps is first acknowledging the urge to eat. And then I force myself to stay away from anywhere there might be food. It takes a lot of self-discipline. Often times, petting the pets and relieving the stress through journal writing, reading, talking to someone, listening to music, or doing something creative prove more effective than eating food. The urge to eat, more often than not, will go away sooner than you think. I hope this helps.

I don't think I'm one to give advice on this matter, but I did want to say that I relate.. a lot. I'm not in touch with my hunger cues and by the time I do notice I'm far passed the point of calmly cooking a meal (which I hate to begin with).

I try to stay on top of things when I can, and like @Progster mentioned I cook in batches and try to keep leftovers in the fridge when I can.

@trustwaves Since you mentioned having an eating disorder perhaps you are under eating?

water and apples, filling + kills appetite,
it's a question of conditioning your first response to go to water/apples instead of junk food,
start by not having the bad stuff in the house

New Threads

Top Bottom