• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Coping means taking care of yourself...

Hedgehog Instigator

Chomp chomp chomp!
This is something that, as of late I am struggli9ng with, by not taking care of me; I am not giving myself the proper amount of time to disengage, relax, and/or enjoy myself.

So a few things I hope you will all engage with me in:

What do you do to disengage, relax, and/or enjoy yourself?

What do you struggle with aside from this?

what advice do you have?

feel free to answer any or all, thanks for your support!

I get away from people to disengage, relax and enjoy myself. That can be as simple as staying home, doing housework and playing on the Internet or reading a book. A lack of people talking to me and expecting replies is a great relief.

I struggle with financial matters mostly, and the time to get everything done that needs doing ... and a myriad of other things too numerous to enumerate.

I've got tons of advice, especially for younger people, but that would be enough to fill a book. Basically, soldier on and do the best you can do with what you've got. Make your corner of the world the best place it can be. Always look out for yourself first, because if you crash, you can't be any good to anyone else.

I get away from people to disengage, relax and enjoy myself. That can be as simple as staying home, doing housework and playing on the Internet or reading a book. A lack of people talking to me and expecting replies is a great relief.

I struggle with financial matters mostly, and the time to get everything done that needs doing ... and a myriad of other things too numerous to enumerate.

I've got tons of advice, especially for younger people, but that would be enough to fill a book. Basically, soldier on and do the best you can do with what you've got. Make your corner of the world the best place it can be. Always look out for yourself first, because if you crash, you can't be any good to anyone else.

Take care of you first :)

For me sometimes the housework can be its own source of stress. I often find I am overwhelmed from trying to get my financial stuff done over the phone. It can lead to a lot of anxiety!

Thanks for the post

I work out until I get exhausted both physically and psychologically. The only thing I have problems with is money. What is desperating/funny about it is that I apply for jobs which I think I can perform very well for my studies/training but I am not sure if the next one will be a success. Weren't it for the money I'd be studying and developing the project I want to base my life upon.

Hi HI! To relax, I make sure to take my meds (ha), drink herbal or caffeine-free teas, go for 20 min walks during my work lunch breaks, meditate and pray, write 10 things I am grateful for each day (at night), and being alone (like Cali Cat said) really helps me A LOT. I'm trying to eat vegetables and fruits with every meal to stay healthy also.

I don't know why, but lately I have trouble taking care of myself physically, like hygiene and such. I don't get to the point where I smell or anything but sometimes I am just too tired to do that stuff. I'm kind of stuck in this area right now. Maybe I should pray for the willingness to do these things. They make me feel better when I do them because I know that I am taking care of myself. Hope this helps. :hibiscus::cherryblossom::rose:

For me sometimes the housework can be its own source of stress. I often find I am overwhelmed from trying to get my financial stuff done over the phone. It can lead to a lot of anxiety!

I actually like housework, but I don't like not having the necessary time to do it. That stresses me out.

I hate having to be on the phone dealing with financial matters. "Press this, say that." I never call for typical reasons, so I need to talk to a human. By the time I get there, I'm already so flustered I can barely spit out what I need. Then, the last time I made a call like that, after 20 minutes of getting the run around, they disconnected the call. I haven't even bothered to call back again. :(

What is desperating/funny about it is that I apply for jobs which I think I can perform very well for my studies/training but I am not sure if the next one will be a success.

Do you mean you lack faith that you can perform the next job even though you've proven yourself over and over? I do that too. Maybe it comes from perfectionism in my case.

I don't know why, but lately I have trouble taking care of myself physically, like hygiene and such. I don't get to the point where I smell or anything but sometimes I am just too tired to do that stuff. I'm kind of stuck in this area right now.

Oh, I hear ya, sista. :) I used to be the shower/wash hair once a day girl. Now I'm lucky if I get showered twice a week and wash my hair once a week. I don't do a lot to get dirty, but still ... it does kind of bother me. I wish I could be better about that too, but I get so tired. Maybe we'll have to remind each other to take a bath :D

I work out until I get exhausted both physically and psychologically. The only thing I have problems with is money. What is desperating/funny about it is that I apply for jobs which I think I can perform very well for my studies/training but I am not sure if the next one will be a success. Weren't it for the money I'd be studying and developing the project I want to base my life upon.
here here, darn money always getting in the way of passion. I need to work out before bed I think because I over do it and then I don't wanna get motivated to do other stuff!

Hi HI! To relax, I make sure to take my meds (ha), drink herbal or caffeine-free teas, go for 20 min walks during my work lunch breaks, meditate and pray, write 10 things I am grateful for each day (at night), and being alone (like Cali Cat said) really helps me A LOT. I'm trying to eat vegetables and fruits with every meal to stay healthy also.

I don't know why, but lately I have trouble taking care of myself physically, like hygiene and such. I don't get to the point where I smell or anything but sometimes I am just too tired to do that stuff. I'm kind of stuck in this area right now. Maybe I should pray for the willingness to do these things. They make me feel better when I do them because I know that I am taking care of myself. Hope this helps. :hibiscus::cherryblossom::rose:
Thanks for the pretty flowers !!! I stay pretty hygenic but when I start getting depressed I stop being as prissy, I hope you're not having depression issues. yes it helps thanks.

I hope you're not having depression issues.
Thanks for the idea about depression issues. I think I am just because my med change and tics are very bad. I will talk to my doctor on Monday and will mention that to her. Here's some fall stuff for you: :mapleleaf::fallenleaf::mapleleaf:I wish we had Halloween pictures on here too to chose from!

Thanks for the idea about depression issues. I think I am just because my med change and tics are very bad. I will talk to my doctor on Monday and will mention that to her. Here's some fall stuff for you: :mapleleaf::fallenleaf::mapleleaf:I wish we had Halloween pictures on here too to chose from!

I know halloween is my favorite

Lately I've been getting up or going to bed before or after everybody else in the house so I can have some quiet time.

A lot of times I feel like I have my crap together, but when I hit that wall of feeling out of control, it's like I forget all the basic stuff that I should know how to do!

One thing that has been sort of an issue for me, pretty much always: for a long time I haven't recognized when I become too overwhelmed, when I reach my limit and end up with barely able to speak and function. I can still speak and do everything but my ability to think clearly reduces dramatically. Sometimes I forget words, but mostly say words in a wrong way. Generally I start feeling like my whole body is shaking on molecular level and starts splitting :D I think I may be getting migraines at the same time, it's hard to say what it is: being overwhelmed, migraine or both. Now I recognize when it's coming, unfortunately I can't always take a break on time and have to deal with being uncomfortable :)

So one thing that helps me is knowing the prime time I function. I am a morning person, having time to relax before facing the world changes my mindset enough that my day has greater clarity.

And this topic here is pretty much a major summary when employment/education is being addressed.

I need about 24 hours a day for myself to disengage. How I disengage varies greatly; but the one thing that seems to be a recurring theme is throwing out all responsibilities and just have "fun". And whether I do this by hanging out with a friend, playing videogames, watching a movie or doing something more "useful" with my time seems to change a lot. Heck, even "patrolling" the AC premises as a moderator can be fun, considering I also end up here as a forumuser to post my personal view or experience (like this one right here).

New Threads

Top Bottom