• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cooking!

I also love to cook.
Thanks for revitalizing this thread @Mary Terry! :)

I have a super simple, but still yummy dish that I make with the apricot jam I made last year.. It would likely work with any similar jam too (like plum/peach).. Looking for something with some tartness.

Otherwise, it's:
12 chicken thighs
1 cup apricot jam
1 cup Italian Salad Dressing
1 package onion soup mix

Mix the jam, salad dressing and soup mix together in an oven dish that's going to fit the chicken too.
Add in the chicken
Bake it at 350F for 1 hour.

It's nice cause it takes so little time.
Then, during the hour it's baking, I usually make some rice, and maybe steam some veggies or something to go with it. The sauce becomes like a fruity sweet n' sour sauce, which I love on rice. :D

Since most of us are trying to figure out what to cook during the Covid-19 isolation, I thought I'd share this very simple and tasty casserole recipe:

Layer Dinner

2 cups sliced raw potatoes
2 cups chopped celery
1 pound raw ground beef
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 cups tomatoes (#2 can), cut up

Put in a 3 quart casserole dish in the order listed. Season each layer with salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350, covered, for 2 hours.

If you want to get spicy, use a can of Rotel (canned tomatoes and peppers) instead of plain canned tomatoes, or chopped jalapenos instead of green bell peppers.

I have a recipe very similar to this.
Paprika with the salt and pepper seasoning of each layer adds a bit of extra flavour too. :)

I also love to cook.
Thanks for revitalizing this thread @Mary Terry! :)

I have a super simple, but still yummy dish that I make with the apricot jam I made last year.. It would likely work with any similar jam too (like plum/peach).. Looking for something with some tartness.

Otherwise, it's:
12 chicken thighs
1 cup apricot jam
1 cup Italian Salad Dressing
1 package onion soup mix

Mix the jam, salad dressing and soup mix together in an oven dish that's going to fit the chicken too.
Add in the chicken
Bake it at 350F for 1 hour.

It's nice cause it takes so little time.
Then, during the hour it's baking, I usually make some rice, and maybe steam some veggies or something to go with it. The sauce becomes like a fruity sweet n' sour sauce, which I love on rice. :D

I make a similar recipe with chicken drumsticks, apricot jam (any jam will actually work), French salad dressing, onion and garlic powder, pinch of cayenne pepper, and add brown sugar for the last 15-20 minutes of baking to make the chicken sweet and sticky. I'll have to try the onion soup mix next time. It sounds yummy!

I make a similar recipe with chicken drumsticks, apricot jam (any jam will actually work), French salad dressing, onion and garlic powder, pinch of cayenne pepper, and add brown sugar for the last 15-20 minutes of baking to make the chicken sweet and sticky. I'll have to try to onion soup mix next time.

Cool! I'll have to try the brown sugar. That sounds like a nice addition! I assume you sprinkle it mainly over the pieces of chicken, right?

Cool! I'll have to try the brown sugar. That sounds like a nice addition! I assume you sprinkle it mainly over the pieces of chicken, right?

Yes, you sprinkle it on top of the chicken. It will burn so need to watch it and let it get melted and bubbly, and then take it out of the oven. I love how it makes the chicken sticky. My kids and grandkids love it.

For me, a good kitchen is as good as a good personal library. I can spend a full day and night.
Recipes are great to start with, but always need a touch of my own. I love playing with food. There is a rhythm of running around the stove and the counter. I am not a good cookmate, but with the right partner, it can be quite a fun.

I am not really a good cook but i love trying out new things, since i love food. And yes, whenever what i cooked turns out delicious i feel so happy. I get self conscious when i have to cook for other people though.

Mom and i have been baking bread and various pastries everyday for a while and i have learned a lot.

I am not really a good cook but i love trying out new things, since i love food. And yes, whenever what i cooked turns out delicious i feel so happy. I get self
conscious when i have to cook for other people though.

Mom and i have been baking bread and various pastries everyday for a while and i have learned a lot.

I've been making a lot of bread these days, too. Yesterday I made plain white bread using milk that was about to go bad, and I shaped the dough into hamburger buns. We used a couple of the buns for hamburgers I grilled for dinner last night for Memorial Day. This holiday is lonely, just hubby and me alone for this long weekend, when normally we'd have our kids, grandkids, family members, and various friends over for a cookout.

Yesterday I also blanched and froze about a quart of sugar snap peas I grew in the garden. I usually just put the peas in salads but I have so many every day that need to be picked that I researched how to preserve them - it was easy - just blanche them in boiling water for a minute and a half, put in ice water till cold, drain and pat dry, spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze, then put all of them in freezer-proof container. Hubby picked blackberries on our farm yesterday and I'm freezing them, too, so I can make blackberry jelly when I've accumulated enough of them.

I'm so danged BORED with the coronavirus lockdown that I'm actively looking for new things to cook and do.

I've been making a lot of bread these days, too. Yesterday I made plain white bread using milk that was about to go bad, and I shaped the dough into hamburger buns. We used a couple of the buns for hamburgers I grilled for dinner last night for Memorial Day. This holiday is lonely, just hubby and me alone for this long weekend, when normally we'd have our kids, grandkids, family members, and various friends over for a cookout.

Yesterday I also blanched and froze about a quart of sugar snap peas I grew in the garden. I usually just put the peas in salads but I have so many every day that need to be picked that I researched how to preserve them - it was easy - just blanche them in boiling water for a minute and a half, put in ice water till cold, drain and pat dry, spread in a single layer on a baking sheet and freeze, then put all of them in freezer-proof container. Hubby picked blackberries on our farm yesterday and I'm freezing them, too, so I can make blackberry jelly when I've accumulated enough of them.

I'm so danged BORED with the coronavirus lockdown that I'm actively looking for new things to cook and do.

It seems like everyone is making bread these days!
Ah it must be lonely indeed if you have a big family.. Maybe you could have skype or zoom meetings or something similar? We had a family meeting on skype yesterday.

Ooh, if you are looking for a new recipe i can share some! (note that i am from the middle east though i don't know if you would like it)

One more bread maker here : ) I bake flat bread in the skillet. I roast beans in the oven and once they cool down, I pass them from the blender. It turns into a coarse flour. I dip the buns in this flour before throwing them on fire. I like the smoky taste and the rustic feel it adds to the bread.

It seems like everyone is making bread these days!
Ah it must be lonely indeed if you have a big family.. Maybe you could have skype or zoom meetings or something similar? We had a family meeting on skype yesterday.

Ooh, if you are looking for a new recipe i can share some! (note that i am from the middle east though i don't know if you would like it)

I would love to have some Middle Eastern recipes. What is your favorite dish to cook? Do you cook lamb? What spices do you use? I have a small leg of lamb in the freezer I'd like to cook. Also, do you have any Middle Eastern soup recipes? And how do you use rose water in desserts? I know that just a small amount of rose water is sufficient and adds a wonderful flavor and aroma to desserts.

One more bread maker here : ) I bake flat bread in the skillet. I roast beans in the oven and once they cool down, I pass them from the blender. It turns into a coarse flour. I dip the buns in this flour before throwing them on fire. I like the smoky taste and the rustic feel it adds to the bread.

What kind of beans so you use? Are they dried beans? I'd like to try that technique!

Hi,

You can use any dry beans or peas. Just like you would roast coffee beans, almonds or peanuts in the oven, roast the dry beans about 30mins, so that they will be crusty. Don't forget to cool them down before passing through the blender/ grinder. It will give a nice earthy taste and feel.

What kind of beans so you use? Are they dried beans? I'd like to try that technique!

I would love to have some Middle Eastern recipes. What is your favorite dish to cook? Do you cook lamb? What spices do you use? I have a small leg of lamb in the freezer I'd like to cook. Also, do you have any Middle Eastern soup recipes? And how do you use rose water in desserts? I know that just a small amount of rose water is sufficient and adds a wonderful flavor and aroma to desserts.

I am so glad i have the chance to talk about food! :D Okay, i admit there are lots of recipes i have tried but these ones i actually pulled it off and trust myself to do it again: stuffed bell peppers and deep fried meatballs (for middle eastern cuisine) Apart from them i like oven baked chicken with various seasonings and marinade sauces and pasta/rice to go with it. With a salad this is mostly what i eat.
As for lamb, my mom just cooked an awesome dish with it although it is kind of difficult so i have to ask her! I think she sauteed the meat a little at first and then cooked it in the oven.
As for spices what i use most is chili peppers, garlic powder, cumin and thyme!
And for soups, i like lentil soup most and tomato-noodle soup!
With desserts, i actually love rose water and did use it on a dessert called ashura before!

All of the food i mentioned i can give a detailed recipe if you want especially the lamb since it turned out delicious!

Hi,

You can use any dry beans or peas. Just like you would roast coffee beans, almonds or peanuts in the oven, roast the dry beans about 30mins, so that they will be crusty. Don't forget to cool them down before passing through the blender/ grinder. It will give a nice earthy taste and feel.

I'm going to try doing that with pinto beans. So it's basically like rolling dough in sesame or poppy seeds before baking. I love a smoky flavor.

I am so glad i have the chance to talk about food! :D Okay, i admit there are lots of recipes i have tried but these ones i actually pulled it off and trust myself to do it again: stuffed bell peppers and deep fried meatballs (for middle eastern cuisine) Apart from them i like oven baked chicken with various seasonings and marinade sauces and pasta/rice to go with it. With a salad this is mostly what i eat.
As for lamb, my mom just cooked an awesome dish with it although it is kind of difficult so i have to ask her! I think she sauteed the meat a little at first and then cooked it in the oven.
As for spices what i use most is chili peppers, garlic powder, cumin and thyme!
And for soups, i like lentil soup most and tomato-noodle soup!
With desserts, i actually love rose water and did use it on a dessert called ashura before!

All of the food i mentioned i can give a detailed recipe if you want especially the lamb since it turned out delicious!

I love to talk about food! Cooking became my primary hobby and passion after I retired from work, and I watch way too many cooking shows on TV, the legitimate culinary shows, not the silly cooking contest shows.

I also love to read and collect unusual cookbooks. I just looked in a Gullah (African American Carolina coastal descendants of slaves) cookbook for a shrimp and grits recipe but couldn't find one. That culture cooks mainly rice dishes so I'll have to stick with my Cajun/Creole/Louisiana cookbooks for anything involving grits.

I have some lentils - I forgot how delicious lentil soup can be, especially with a squeeze of lemon and a dollop of yogurt on top. Thanks for the reminder! I may make that today.

Please do post the lamb recipe. I have some Middle Eastern spices like Zataar, sumac, and coriander seeds to play around with, too.

Use sumac for a very simple, but mind blowing onion salad. If you use white onion, on the sweet side it is better.

Slice the onions thin and long, rub and rinse them. Afterwards add decent amount of lemon juice, salt and sumac. And rub them again. That is it. Especially very good with grilled fish.

My suggestion is no oil at all. The recipe is much better in its simple form.

Also the common use of middle east is actually a modern military term. If you go for Levant, you may find better cultural references.

Levant - Wikipedia

Bom Apettit,

I love to talk about food! Cooking became my primary hobby and passion after I retired from work, and I watch way too many cooking shows on TV, the legitimate culinary shows, not the silly cooking contest shows.

I also love to read and collect unusual cookbooks. I just looked in a Gullah (African American Carolina coastal descendants of slaves) cookbook for a shrimp and grits recipe but couldn't find one. That culture cooks mainly rice dishes so I'll have to stick with my Cajun/Creole/Louisiana cookbooks for anything involving grits.

I have some lentils - I forgot how delicious lentil soup can be, especially with a squeeze of lemon and a dollop of yogurt on top. Thanks for the reminder! I may make that today.

Please do post the lamb recipe. I have some Middle Eastern spices like Zataar, sumac, and coriander seeds to play around with, too.

Alright i got it here it goes!

Ingredients:

500 gram of lamb leg cut into small pieces
1 onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon of butter
1 cup of rice
1 green pepper
1 tomato
Salt and pepper to taste,
1 1/2 cup of boiling water

Preparation:
Place meat and butter in a pressure cooker and sautee for 1-2 mins
Then add rhe onion, one cup of water, salt and pepper and cook until meat is tender
Meanwhile let the rice soak for 30 minutes or so
After the meat is done, place it on a casserole and add the rice.
Decorate with tomato and pepper slices
Pour the meat broth on top of the casserole, this should be 1 1/2 cups of water for the rice to cook, if the broth is not enough add water.

Cook at pre heated oven at 200 celsius (392 fahrenheit) for about 35-40 minutes.

Also lentil soup is so good with lemon juice, we also eat it that way! And i love cooking shows too, they are basically the only thing i watch on tv!

Use sumac for a very simple, but mind blowing onion salad. If you use white onion, on the sweet side it is better.

Slice the onions thin and long, rub and rinse them. Afterwards add decent amount of lemon juice, salt and sumac. And rub them again. That is it. Especially very good with grilled fish.

My suggestion is no oil at all. The recipe is much better in its simple form.

Also the common use of middle east is actually a modern military term. If you go for Levant, you may find better cultural references.

Levant - Wikipedia

Bom Apettit,

Onion salad with sumac is delicious, i also add just a little bit of parsley

Alright i got it here it goes!

Ingredients:

500 gram of lamb leg cut into small pieces
1 onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon of butter
1 cup of rice
1 green pepper
1 tomato
Salt and pepper to taste,
1 1/2 cup of boiling water

Preparation:
Place meat and butter in a pressure cooker and sautee for 1-2 mins
Then add rhe onion, one cup of water, salt and pepper and cook until meat is tender
Meanwhile let the rice soak for 30 minutes or so
After the meat is done, place it on a casserole and add the rice.
Decorate with tomato and pepper slices
Pour the meat broth on top of the casserole, this should be 1 1/2 cups of water for the rice to cook, if the broth is not enough add water.

Cook at pre heated oven at 200 celsius (392 fahrenheit) for about 35-40 minutes.

Also lentil soup is so good with lemon juice, we also eat it that way! And i love cooking shows too, they are basically the only thing i watch on tv!

That sounds delicious! I'll make it that way.

New Threads

Top Bottom