• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cooking!

granolaturtle

Anyone else here just love cooking? A lot of times I feel a little overwhelmed and just want to go with something easy, but when I cook a good meal I just feel a whole bunch of pride. And it's not a negative pride either, the kind where I want criticism so I can make it better.

Recently I made a guacamole and it was genuinely pretty good. I might use a different blend of spices and maybe either cut the radishes out or chop them more finely.

But any opportunity to use new ingredients or try new recipes just strikes me as so exciting.

I feel the same way, but because I generally have to cook every day, it gets a bit lagging and my imagination runs dry but when I know what I am cooking, I really enjoy putting it all together. Taste, colour and sensations I go by and that I want my husband to be satisfied. I could never cook something he doesn't like and then demand he eats it. He is not a child lol

I'm pretty much the same. Have enjoyed combining flavors and textures since I was quite young. Like trying new things every day. Do a lot of cooking, even did it professionally for about fifteen years when I ran a successful bistro in the city. Used to cook for my friends all the time in the tiny galley kitchen of my first real apartment, you could stir something on the stove and prepare something on the counter at the same time:)

Last edited:
I love to try new things, but this house of boys is so picky and unfulfilling to cook for! So I've become kind of bored with the whole endeavor this past few years.

I used to make my own palak paneer, with even the cheese from scratch. Butter chicken, channa masala. I really love working with curries. I did manage to find a bland slow cooker butter chicken that the y-chromie homies enjoy, at least. :)

Turanga Veela

Paneer is very useful.
I modified a Tofu Pie recipe, using it instead of Tofu.
And it's good whirred up with beans for dip.
And made into patties to fry.

I made Paneer, plain cheese, and mozzarella
when we had goats. Cottage cheese sometimes.

Anyone else here just love cooking? A lot of times I feel a little overwhelmed and just want to go with something easy, but when I cook a good meal I just feel a whole bunch of pride. And it's not a negative pride either, the kind where I want criticism so I can make it better.

Recently I made a guacamole and it was genuinely pretty good. I might use a different blend of spices and maybe either cut the radishes out or chop them more finely.

But any opportunity to use new ingredients or try new recipes just strikes me as so exciting.

We have been making guacamole with just avocado, tomatoes and onions. I have never tried finely chopped radishes, but I will. What else do you put in it? Things like guacamole are my department, my wife takes care of the complicated stuff.

We have been making guacamole with just avocado, tomatoes and onions. I have never tried finely chopped radishes, but I will. What else do you put in it? Things like guacamole are my department, my wife takes care of the complicated stuff.
I put in a mix of spices as well, but otherwise it sounds lot like yours!

I love the idea of cooking but shopping for ingredients stresses me out. So much variety and they move stuff around.

Penguin enjoyed cooking since he was 10 years old.

My favorite time cooking when I'm camping. I like to think of creative dishes to make that most people don't make while camping. For example, one trip I made deep fried chicken wonton stir fry with rice and veggies. I'm trying to think of another creative dish to make for my next trip.

cooking is my special interest, with endless cuttings and books and lists and programs and what not. I love following recipes as they are quite structures especially baking, and especiallyl since my imagination lacks :/

Since most of us are trying to figure out what to cook during the Covid-19 isolation, I thought I'd share this very simple and tasty casserole recipe:

Layer Dinner

2 cups sliced raw potatoes
2 cups chopped celery
1 pound raw ground beef
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 cups tomatoes (#2 can), cut up

Put in a 3 quart casserole dish in the order listed. Season each layer with salt and pepper to taste. Bake at 350, covered, for 2 hours.

If you want to get spicy, use a can of Rotel (canned tomatoes and peppers) instead of plain canned tomatoes, or chopped jalapenos instead of green bell peppers.

I made a mango salsa that l loved. I collect cookbooks, because l can't cook like l use too- but l can entertain my eyes and imagine the taste and smells by my beautiful books.

I made a mango salsa that l loved. I collect cookbooks, because l can't cook like l use too- but l can entertain my eyes and imagine the taste and smells by my beautiful books.

I can imagine the taste of food from reading a recipe, too. Perhaps that is a talent developed over many years of cooking. I can almost always tell if a recipe will be good or unsatisfactory just from reading it.

I love cooking, it started about 18mlths ago for me, mostly it’s satisfies and can be all consuming and calming, it began as a competitive thing with my fella and to much watching Masterchef Lol leading to my ‘cauliflower thee ways’ purée pickled and steaks, then beef wellington and french cuisine (so much work!) I rarely cook the same meal twice and have my recipes in pencil so I can adjust after tasting.

I love cooking. It’s very relaxing for me and I love experimenting with ingredients, tastes and textures and trying new cuisines.

I enjoy cooking from time to time. Still lack a bit of variety of food i know to make, but it's improving. I love trying experiment with making variations of what i already know what to make. Like, I recently found out that adding chicken and soy sauce to a basic vegetable soup creates a really good soup.
Right now i'm trying to make bread. As i'm not allowed to go and buy bread until i get a negative test. And i don't trust the staff in my apartment enough for them to be able to buy the correct store bread.

I do like cooking. What I don't like is having to cook - yes, I get it ... i just want everything my own way. Basically I like cooking when the mood takes me but eating is a necessity and so sometimes when I cook it's because i just want some food (or feel I have to provide some food). But other times I really enjoy it. I feel like I'm following in my ancestors footsteps when I cook with certain music playing. It's nice.

I love cooking but only real chefs can cook from their heads...I always use a recipe. When I was married it was worth it to try new recipes - comfort foods are my favourite to make, but now it's just me and a couple of super picky teenagers. At least they can agree on banana loaf. And pizza.
I've tried ethnic dishes in the past...I think I'll leave it to the experts and just get take-out LOL
I would love to try making someone's favourite guacamole recipe but I know I would be stuck eating the whole thing myself (you know what I mean by 'stuck'...maybe I should say privileged instead LOL).
When I had family come for special occasions everyone loved my cooking. I really miss it. I need a new big eater in my life.

I love cooking but only real chefs can cook from their heads...I always use a recipe. When I was married it was worth it to try new recipes - comfort foods are my favourite to make, but now it's just me and a couple of super picky teenagers. At least they can agree on banana loaf. And pizza.
I've tried ethnic dishes in the past...I think I'll leave it to the experts and just get take-out LOL
I would love to try making someone's favourite guacamole recipe but I know I would be stuck eating the whole thing myself (you know what I mean by 'stuck'...maybe I should say privileged instead LOL).
When I had family come for special occasions everyone loved my cooking. I really miss it. I need a new big eater in my life.

When I was young, I depended on recipes, too. After nearly 50 years of cooking, I find it easy to create new dishes without having to follow a recipe. I think my best creations come from my reading numerous versions of a particular food and taking whatever I think is best from each recipe. :) I've always said that if you can read, then you can cook.

New Threads

Top Bottom