• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Cooking!

Use sumac for a very simple, but mind blowing onion salad. If you use white onion, on the sweet side it is better.

Slice the onions thin and long, rub and rinse them. Afterwards add decent amount of lemon juice, salt and sumac. And rub them again. That is it. Especially very good with grilled fish.

My suggestion is no oil at all. The recipe is much better in its simple form.

Also the common use of middle east is actually a modern military term. If you go for Levant, you may find better cultural references.

Levant - Wikipedia

Bom Apettit,[/QUOTE

Thanks for the Levant reference. I didn't know the background on "Middle Eastern".

I'm fascinated by the history of ingredients. Food anthropology? Tomatoes, corn, coffee, vanilla, chocolate, peanuts, and peppers originating in the Americas and transferred all over the world. What would Italian cooking taste like without tomatoes?! Potatoes originally came from the Andes mountains and became a mainstay in Ireland. Okra came from Africa and is a very common ingredient in Southern US cooking. Mexican cuisine (which I love) has incorporated many strong elements of Middle Eastern food such as cilantro/coriander, melons, and citrus fruits. The Moors imported those flavors to Spain and from Spain to Mexico. Pecans are indigenous to North America and are so popular in China that Chinese are buying up pecan plantations all over this country.

Yum!

Use sumac for a very simple, but mind blowing onion salad. If you use white onion, on the sweet side it is better.

Slice the onions thin and long, rub and rinse them. Afterwards add decent amount of lemon juice, salt and sumac. And rub them again. That is it. Especially very good with grilled fish.

My suggestion is no oil at all. The recipe is much better in its simple form.

Also the common use of middle east is actually a modern military term. If you go for Levant, you may find better cultural references.

Levant - Wikipedia

Bom Apettit,

I made your recipe yesterday to go with some salmon that I grilled for dinner and it was FANTASTIC. I love the flavor of the sumac. I used Vidalia sweet onions to make it. Thank you!

I have a 3 pound eye of round roast to cook for dinner. I'm going to cook it the same way my grandmother and mother cooked roasts on Sunday while they went to church. It is so easy and comes out perfect every time.

500 degree F oven.

Put roast on a wire rack over a pan.

Make a paste of:
salt and pepper to taste
5 cloves of minced or grated garlic
1 bunch of parsley, chopped
1/2 bunch of thyme, chopped
8 sprigs oregano, chopped
2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
2 TBSP mustard powder

Spread the top of the roast with the herb paste/mixture.

Put the roast in the oven for 5 minutes per pound of roast. (My 3 pound roast will take 15 minutes at 500 degrees)

Then turn off the oven and do not open the oven door for 2 hours.

It will come out perfectly cooked, a little pink in the center which I like. Hubby will have roast beef sandwiches for several days, and I can make a roast beef pot pie if so inspired for another dinner this week.

I have a 3 pound eye of round roast to cook for dinner. I'm going to cook it the same way my grandmother and mother cooked roasts on Sunday while they went to church. It is so easy and comes out perfect every time.

500 degree F oven.

Put roast on a wire rack over a pan.

Make a paste of:
salt and pepper to taste
5 cloves of minced or grated garlic
1 bunch of parsley, chopped
1/2 bunch of thyme, chopped
8 sprigs oregano, chopped
2 sprigs rosemary, chopped
2 TBSP mustard powder

Spread the top of the roast with the herb paste/mixture.

Put the roast in the oven for 5 minutes per pound of roast. (My 3 pound roast will take 15 minutes at 500 degrees)

Then turn off the oven and do not open the oven door for 2 hours.

It will come out perfectly cooked, a little pink in the center which I like. Hubby will have roast beef sandwiches for several days, and I can make a roast beef pot pie if so inspired for another dinner this week.

The nostalgia is killing me. For a few years at least once every month for Sunday dinner my mother would prepare an eye of the round roast. What a feast that was. :)

I made your recipe yesterday to go with some salmon that I grilled for dinner and it was FANTASTIC. I love the flavor of the sumac. I used Vidalia sweet onions to make it. Thank you!
I m happy that you liked it. I am not comfortable with fish oil, especially with salmon, that sumac onion salad saves me every time.

The nostalgia is killing me. For a few years at least once every month for Sunday dinner my mother would prepare an eye of the round roast. What a feast that was. :)

I wish you could come for dinner! I'm nostalgic about it, too. My mother always made rice and a gravy with the drippings that was very rich and full of flavor to go with the roast. I think she made the gravy with beef broth rather than a milk based gravy. It sure was delicious.

I wish you could come for dinner! I'm nostalgic about it, too. My mother always made rice and a gravy with the drippings that was very rich and full of flavor to go with the roast. I think she made the gravy with beef broth rather than a milk based gravy. It sure was delicious

I had a bread machine and l loved making bread in it. Cooking for two is more fun then cooking for one.

I have a ham that needs to be eaten so I made chicken cordon bleu last night which is delicious.

I pounded 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs about 1/4 inch thick, put a piece of ham and a piece of Swiss cheese on top of them, smeared a little whole grain Dijon mustard on the ham, rolled them up, secured them with toothpicks, then melted butter and drizzled it over Panko breadcrumbs, rolled the chicken roll-ups in the breadcrumbs, oven baked them uncovered at 375 degrees F for 50 minutes. If you don't have mustard, a dill pickle spear is good in the rollups. My kids always loved the pickles.

Then I made a sauce with a can of cream of chicken soup diluted with some sour cream (or plain yogurt) and a splash of vermouth (or dry sherry), and added chopped capers (or chopped cornichons). Sauce is optional as the rollups are good plain, too.

Served the sauce on the side with brown rice and steamed brocolli.

Ecstatic that I have leftovers for tonight.

It seems like everyone is making bread these days!
Ah it must be lonely indeed if you have a big family.. Maybe you could have skype or zoom meetings or something similar? We had a family meeting on skype yesterday.

Ooh, if you are looking for a new recipe i can share some! (note that i am from the middle east though i don't know if you would like it)

I'd love to try some middle eastern recipes. Please post some!

Alright i got it here it goes!

Ingredients:

500 gram of lamb leg cut into small pieces
1 onion finely chopped
1 tablespoon of butter
1 cup of rice
1 green pepper
1 tomato
Salt and pepper to taste,
1 1/2 cup of boiling water

Preparation:
Place meat and butter in a pressure cooker and sautee for 1-2 mins
Then add rhe onion, one cup of water, salt and pepper and cook until meat is tender
Meanwhile let the rice soak for 30 minutes or so
After the meat is done, place it on a casserole and add the rice.
Decorate with tomato and pepper slices
Pour the meat broth on top of the casserole, this should be 1 1/2 cups of water for the rice to cook, if the broth is not enough add water.

Cook at pre heated oven at 200 celsius (392 fahrenheit) for about 35-40 minutes.

Also lentil soup is so good with lemon juice, we also eat it that way! And i love cooking shows too, they are basically the only thing i watch on tv!

I'm going to make this recipe. I have all the ingredients at home.

How do you make lentil soup? Do you use broth or just water?

I'm going to make this recipe. I have all the ingredients at home.

How do you make lentil soup? Do you use broth or just water?

Sometimes i use only water, sometimes a mix of water and chicken broth!

Here lentil soup is mostly made with onions, carrots, sometimes potatoes and red lentil of course.

Ingredients

2 tablespoons of butter or vegetables oil
1 onion
1 carrot
1 potato
1 cup of red lentil-
6 cups of water or broth
Salt and pepper

Chop the vegetables finely. Starting with the onion add the other vegetables one by one and sautee them in medium heat. I sautee them until they are softened a little, about 5 mins

After that i add the lentil, water/broth, salt and pepper and cook on medium heat until the soup comes to a boil. When the lentils are cooked, the soup is ready.
I then puree the soup with a mixer.

Did you make the other recipe btw? I hope it turned out alright, my mom made that and since she doesn't use measurements i had a little difficulty writing down the recipe.

I haven't make the lamb dish yet but probably do so this week. I have to thaw the leg of lamb in the refrigerator for a day or two. I can tell by reading your recipe that it will be so good.

I'm excited to make the lentil soup. I've never added a potato to it but I bet it is a delicious addition. I make most of my own stocks and freeze them so I'll add a little homemade chicken stock to the water.
I totally agree that a squirt of lemon juice is crucial to getting the best flavor. I add lemon or lime juice to black bean soup, too.

Thanks, April!

Here's some of my videos that I had uploaded of me cooking something.

CHOCOLATE HAZELNUT SLICES

TOMATO VEGETABLE SOUP

PIZZA "ASPIE WITH ATTITUDE" SPECIAL

57FAAB34-0DF3-417C-AC5D-46294F1CAF71.jpeg Today I’m enjoying gathering found greens from here and there in the backyard. Tonight’s salad will have baby dandelion leaves, spearmint, French thyme, chives, baby mustard leaves, garlic sprouts & parsley. I’m pleasantly surprised how many edibles are hanging on out there.
The other part of supper will be leftover roasted chicken, cubed and added to a gravy made from the drippings. Then that will smother a big baked ‘tater.

A pizza garnishing question.

Those green specks I see on any number of advertised pizzas. Would they be more likely to be oregano, parsley or bay leaves ? Just wondering. Always trying to think of adding this or that to an occasional frozen pizza.

A pizza garnishing question.

Those green specks I see on any number of advertised pizzas. Would they be more likely to be oregano, parsley or bay leaves ? Just wondering. Always trying to think of adding this or that to an occasional frozen pizza.

Green specks isn't terribly specific.. However, spinach is a fairly common pizza topping. Also perhaps capers.
Oregano would probably be good on pizza, but it's probably in the sauce anyways.
Parsley is a pretty mild flavour, but is sometimes used as a garnish, so maybe?
Bay leaves are not very edible. They are usually used in sauces and soups and such, but removed before eating. They don't really soften up much.
If you find a picture, that might help identify whatever it is.

I'm assuming it's not something as obvious as green pepper here... lol

If you find a picture, that might help identify whatever it is.

I'm assuming it's not something as obvious as green pepper here... lol

LOL, nope most definitely not green pepper. It's the sort of thing I've seen on tv with Little Caesar's pepperoni pizzas. Guessing that it's probably oregano, cilantro or even a tasteless garnish just to add color. Something perhaps that may be dried and sprinkled on. Not really sure.

I've just never bothered to go past green pepper when it comes to green anything on a pizza.

LOL, nope most definitely not green pepper. It's the sort of thing I've seen on tv with Little Caesar's pepperoni pizzas. Guessing that it's probably oregano, cilantro or even a tasteless garnish just to add color.

I've just never bothered to go past green pepper when it comes to green anything on a pizza.

My bet would be on oregano as well.
Cilantro is a strong flavour (one I'm particularly sensitive to), so I can guarantee it's not that. I dislike most things that have cilantro in it, with the exception of salsa. Salsa seems boring without it.

My bet would be on oregano as well.
Cilantro is a strong flavour (one I'm particularly sensitive to), so I can guarantee it's not that. I dislike most things that have cilantro in it, with the exception of salsa. Salsa seems boring without it.

I love cilantro, but I agree it can be too strong depending on what comes with it. Seems to work well with burritos with rice. But pizza? I'm not so sure. But there's no telling how many different things people can put on pizzas.

Another thing that confuses me is the occasional jar of "Italian Spices". Wondering what such an ambiguous description really means. :confused:

New Threads

Top Bottom