• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

confused, lonely, different, and getting older

selectivedetective

I introduced myself on another forum a few months ago and didn't receive a single reply. I think it was because I had self diagnosed. It's hard, in a few paragraphs, to say enough to convince people, but not so much you confuse people, or go off on a tangent... I know I don't need to "convince" people, but I know some of you will have more challenges than I do, and also more official diagnosis.

SO I am middle aged with children and my own small house. I have a degree and work from home. I said that bit to show I am coping, in the eyes of the world. I'm not sure if I'd be classed as HFA or Aspergers.

But also I'm not coping. I earn a small amount, don't have many friends, and have to constantly drive myself to focus and achieve things. This includes tidying the house, making phone calls.... I have to pace myselfl carefully or I can have melt downs

When I was younger I was a big drinker. THis helped me in social situations, but it also helped me focus in the evenings when I had work to do at home, and my mind was all over the place. I have always been described as "shy", but I have recently been looking into Selective Mutism. Someitmes I feel comfortable with people -usually slightly odd people -and we just click and get on and it's a breath of fresh air. But I am hugely anxious in a lot of situations, especially around men, or with more than a couple of people. Often I say nothing, so that I don't sound stupid. When I am anxious I forget the answers to really basic questions and I also blush and get out of breath through fear. When I was younger and people said I was shy, I hated it, but at least I thought I would grow out of it, and people though it was quite sweet. Now at my age I feel ridiculous getting tongue tied and blushing. I also come across as aloof and superior, when I don't talk.

I've tried to do a few things to help recently -quite a lot of sport, very little drinking. But here I am on New Year's Eve and very lonely and isolated. I have managed to network with my children, support them etc, and they have some good friends, even though they may have some Aspergers. Tonight they have gone to a small party with a very nice group. I here alone with my youngest. I have no partner, but I would love to have someone close and kind. I used to think that with a bit of positive thinking, staying fit and healthy, I'd be quite a catch for someone. But now I have been alone several years and realise no one even notices I'm there really unless I have had a few to drink. I quite liked a man I knew through sport and made a huge effort to talk to him and try to connect, but I have recently left this alone as he never seems to approach me first or even remember what we talked about last time!

I won't waffle on any more. Sometimes some aspects of all this are more important to me than others and perhaps I haven't highlighted the right ones tonight. I hope to perhaps find a few new ways to help myself from this forum, and perhaps find others in a similar situation.

upload_2018-12-31_19-9-41.png

Welcome! This is a very friendly community so I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. And as you can see we read and respond to intros :)

There are more than a few here that are self-diagnosed, so don't worry about that bit. I think you'll find this an open and friendly community.

selectivedetective. Hello, welcome and happy New Year.
Your name made me think of my ex - we used to move around a lot and the first thing I would do (before cell phones) would be to get a phone book and a map of the area and find the department stores. So one day, after years of this, he picks up the phone book and asked why every time we moved somewhere the first thing I did was leave the phone book open to detective. LOL

I LOVE that "waffle on"! Is that a thing people say somewhere or did you just put a word in there? LOL

The anxiety throughout the post reminds me of myself!

In other words... you sound great!;)

Hello Selective Detective :)
Love the name.

Happy New Year to you.
This is the place for waffling,
I do it a lot myself :)

To date I know of only three places where folk are respectful and kind,
This is one of them.

Welcome :)

I do hope this will prove youre MORE then welkome in here dear with or without actual professional diagnoce :)

We are the same age and I am self diagnosed too, but hoping to receive a diagnosis very soon.

I usually find forums to be awful and like you say, sometimes, no one responds, which really goes a long way in confirming negative feelings eh?

I know all about the shyness accept and other things you say you go through.

This is a fabulous forum and sure you will feel at home soon.

I introduced myself on another forum a few months ago and didn't receive a single reply. I think it was because I had self diagnosed. It's hard, in a few paragraphs, to say enough to convince people, but not so much you confuse people, or go off on a tangent... I know I don't need to "convince" people, but I know some of you will have more challenges than I do, and also more official diagnosis.

SO I am middle aged with children and my own small house. I have a degree and work from home. I said that bit to show I am coping, in the eyes of the world. I'm not sure if I'd be classed as HFA or Aspergers.

But also I'm not coping. I earn a small amount, don't have many friends, and have to constantly drive myself to focus and achieve things. This includes tidying the house, making phone calls.... I have to pace myselfl carefully or I can have melt downs

When I was younger I was a big drinker. THis helped me in social situations, but it also helped me focus in the evenings when I had work to do at home, and my mind was all over the place. I have always been described as "shy", but I have recently been looking into Selective Mutism. Someitmes I feel comfortable with people -usually slightly odd people -and we just click and get on and it's a breath of fresh air. But I am hugely anxious in a lot of situations, especially around men, or with more than a couple of people. Often I say nothing, so that I don't sound stupid. When I am anxious I forget the answers to really basic questions and I also blush and get out of breath through fear. When I was younger and people said I was shy, I hated it, but at least I thought I would grow out of it, and people though it was quite sweet. Now at my age I feel ridiculous getting tongue tied and blushing. I also come across as aloof and superior, when I don't talk.

I've tried to do a few things to help recently -quite a lot of sport, very little drinking. But here I am on New Year's Eve and very lonely and isolated. I have managed to network with my children, support them etc, and they have some good friends, even though they may have some Aspergers. Tonight they have gone to a small party with a very nice group. I here alone with my youngest. I have no partner, but I would love to have someone close and kind. I used to think that with a bit of positive thinking, staying fit and healthy, I'd be quite a catch for someone. But now I have been alone several years and realise no one even notices I'm there really unless I have had a few to drink. I quite liked a man I knew through sport and made a huge effort to talk to him and try to connect, but I have recently left this alone as he never seems to approach me first or even remember what we talked about last time!

I won't waffle on any more. Sometimes some aspects of all this are more important to me than others and perhaps I haven't highlighted the right ones tonight. I hope to perhaps find a few new ways to help myself from this forum, and perhaps find others in a similar situation.

You can waffle on and on as much as you want and need to, selectivedetective. BTW, welcome to Autismforums.com. Your struggles are real and I can hear them in and around the words you have shared here. Your brave to post and I am glad you did. Be strong and courageous! Keep active here on the forum. It’s been a safe place for me and others.

Welcome! Self-diagnosis doesn't matter much here, the point of this forum is for you to explore and share your experiences and majority of the time someone will relate and contribute their own take on things. It's all a learning experience. We're all trying to understand ourselves better to live a more peaceful life.

You're in the right place, everyone here is very friendly and you'll fit right in. I'm a total recluse and loner, but somehow, people here make me feel like we're all part of a big family. :)

There are a lot of self diagnosed here. If I had to take a guess maybe 30-40% ? So don't let that hinder you. I think many of us who are older fall into that category as HFA was practically unknown when we were kids and most diagnosis now takes place.

THank you so much for all the replies. It is so nice to have some feedback and thoughts. I think perhaps I wrote too much for an intro, and maybe that's why noone replied on the other forum! But so glad you went with that.

So I hope to come back to this forum a fair bit. It's also useful to have a lot of adults here. Other autism forums seem to be aimed at parents of autistic children and I can understand they must need so much support, but we do too.

In some ways I have so much I want to share and ask, but sometimes it's too overwhelming to break it down into small digestible pieces. I have to work at 9 tomorrow, so need to wind down a bit now. I think for tonight I will write a diary entry instead. Sometimes that makes life more manageable and helps me confront things. I might read a bit on here too. I think my mind is too speedy tonight for reading my book!

New Threads

Top Bottom