• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Common expressions

@Suzette As you can read about here: -

"The name Richard is very old and was popular during the Middle Ages. In the 12th and 13th centuries everything was written by hand and Richard nicknames like Rich and Rick were common just to save time. Rhyming nicknames were also common and eventually Rick gave way to Dick and Hick, while Rich became Hitch. Dick, of course, is the only rhyming nickname that stuck over time. And boy did it stick. At one point in England, the name Dick was so popular that the phrase "every Tom, Dick, or Harry" was used to describe Everyman."

Last edited:
I did not like when someone asked me if my husband and I were "trying for a baby". That sounded like a really invasive question. I was confused why someone would think that was appropriate to ask, then somebody else explained that they were just asking if we were thinking about having children. Which I still think is an invasive question, but why make it worse by zeroing in on bedroom activities?o_O Jeez louise, people!

This is a bit like my problem with congratulating people who are pregnant.

I feel like I'm congratulating them for having sex.

I have always had a minor interest in etymology/slang creation and have a sort of a pass/fail feeling about expressions, particularly new ones. I don't mind the creation of new expressions or even words. That's fun. But some just rub me the wrong way. Some I can remember off the top of my head are:

Deconflict
One Money
Empirical
Going Forward

One I really didn't like when I first started hearing it was: It is what it is. But this was a rare case of changing my mind.

I was listening to an audiobook on the Plantagenets and they were talking about a certain King and Queen that reigned for a long and fairly peaceful time, I think in the 1100-1200's. The High Middle Ages so to speak, and they liked holding great tournaments and feasts, etc. They also had special royal robes made with all their favorite sayings embroidered on them. And one of the queen's sayings was something like 'As it is it is'

Flavoring particles? This sounds like packaged product marketing talk to me.

Language- not marketing. More commonly known as "modal particles".

My German instructor used to refer to them as "flavoring particles" to "spice up" to emphasize one's speech. :p

Last edited:
The phrase "I'll knock you into next Tuesday"... As a child, I often sat and pondered what it would be like to be hit so hard that you travel through a time travel portal and land right where you are sitting, but it's next Tuesday.

I often watch documentaries about medical issues and one thing I've noticed is that when a patient gets an injection or a cannula inserted, the doctor or nurse tells the patient to expect a "short scratch." I don't get this. There's no way getting an injection is anything like a scratch, it's a stinging sensation, a completely different sensation, so why tell the patient they are going to feel a scratch??

I often watch documentaries about medical issues and one thing I've noticed is that when a patient gets an injection or a cannula inserted, the doctor or nurse tells the patient to expect a "short scratch." I don't get this. There's no way getting an injection is anything like a scratch, it's a stinging sensation, a completely different sensation, so why tell the patient they are going to feel a scratch??

I always thought "stinging sensation" doesn't quite capture the feeling either. To me it is a burning sensation. But I guess that doesn't sound very friendly!

People who are about to give you a shot or draw blood don't want to tell you the actual level of pain you'll feel. You getting all tense will not help their work. Most people will not respond well if they are told it will feel like they are being jabbed by a large needle.

I find it very easy to deal with that type of pain. I relax and just don't react. My wife has even said that she doesn't think I feel pain like a normal person. Oh, I feel it "normally." It is just that with most pain there's nothing to be done for it and no point in fussing. Just relax, let it happen, and don't respond. Especially a short pain like a needle jab. They always tell me to look away but I always watch. It is interesting, especially when the doc does cortisone injections in my knees.

Pain that hangs around, like a burn, is more difficult to deal with.

Pain like arthritis wears on you and saps your sense of pleasure in life. You can kind of get used to the pain but it never really goes away.

I've had blood drawn where I came out looking - and feeling - like I'd been knifed in the arm and times where I hardly felt a thing and didn't even bruise. That's up to the skill and experience of the phlebotomist. Nothing to get upset over. The bloodsucker you got is just the one you got and not everyone has consummate skill.

@Au Naturel, many years ago I had a lump on my head. My doctor wanted to do a biopsy and, believing the biopsy and stitches would hurt, she gave me a shot of local ansethetic to my scull. That shot hurt like a mo fo! I liken it to getting a nail in the head. In the middle of the biopsy I realized that the local anesthetic had begun to wear off but I wouldn't let my doctor give me another shot, it hurt that bad. Ironically the biopsy and stitches barely hurt in comparison.

A couple of weeks later my son, who was 3, split his head open. At the emerfency room they wanted to give him that same local anesthesia shot. I told them no and explained my experience. So they stitched my 3 year old without anesthesia and my son didn't cry at all. Sometimes the pain is in our doctors heads, not ours!

@Au Naturel, many years ago I had a lump on my head. My doctor wanted to do a biopsy and, believing the biopsy and stitches would hurt, she gave me a shot of local ansethetic to my scull. That shot hurt like a mo fo! I liken it to getting a nail in the head. In the middle of the biopsy I realized that the local anesthetic had begun to wear off but I wouldn't let my doctor give me another shot, it hurt that bad. Ironically the biopsy and stitches barely hurt in comparison.

A couple of weeks later my son, who was 3, split his head open. At the emerfency room they wanted to give him that same local anesthesia shot. I told them no and explained my experience. So they stitched my 3 year old without anesthesia and my son didn't cry at all. Sometimes the pain is in our doctors heads, not ours!

That happened to my son too. He managed a big cut under his eye when he was 6 or 8. Took him into the ER. He didn't want the novocaine (???) shot. Doc stitched him up and later said he was the calmest and most rational person he'd seen that day.

A few days later it was all infected and he had to back to the ER, a different doctor. I didn't think about it at the time but he ought to have been on prophylactic antibiotics.

I once had stiches to the head with anaesthetic. Didn't hurt at all, neither the stiches nor the injection.

@Progster you were very fortunate!

Related, but not the same, I could not feel my contractions when my son was born. I went to my OBGYN because I felt "weird". Turns out I was having contractions 6 minutes apart and 6 weeks too soon.

I've never liked people referring to their spouse/partners as 'my other half'. One and one make two! You are a whole person!

In the US, they usually say you're going to feel a stick. As in a needle shoved into you rather than a piece of wood.

Some sausage in the UK doesn't use the lining of an animals stomach, Haggis comes in a vegetarian form ,I've never tasted the vegetarian one .
I eat vegan sausage .

Link sausage uses some kind of casing, and natural animal casings are vastly superior to artificial, plastic-like manmade casings. "Bulk sausage" is just sausage without a casing. You can shape it into a patty like a hamburger or fry it while breaking up the lumps.

"Dumb" historically meant speechless, but it now also means lacking in intelligence. Crude people throw around the insult of "dumb ass", or they do where I live. I was making a joke that we can call our donkeys dumb asses without insulting them. They can be sensitive if you slight them, like not favoring each of them first with treats. Very jealous of each other in vying for attention.

I've owned horses and donkeys for decades, most of my life. Trust me, donkeys are smarter than horses. That is why you ride a donkey up and down the cliffs of the Grand Canyon instead of a horse. They are African desert animals more closely related to zebras than horses.

Sorry I just digressed miles away from the thread!
nope still used by the creators of English! ,Americans have to get used to the fact that they didn't win something!,the something being creating the English language, and I don't have to understand any Americans use of English, Im fully aware of the sort of answer I'll receive.

nope still used by the creators of English! ,Americans have to get used to the fact that they didn't win something!,the something being creating the English language, and I don't have to understand any Americans use of English, Im fully aware of the sort of answer I'll receive.

What are you talking about? That makes no sense.

This is a bit like my problem with congratulating people who are pregnant.

I feel like I'm congratulating them for having sex.

I feel odd about rating posts too. To "like" a thread implies to me that you liked the post. So if someone tells a sad story I really get stuck! I don't "like" their story, I am sad and appalled or angry about how the person was treated. I don't "like" that at all.
These stories are not something I can "agree" with, they are not "creative", "useful", "informative", "optomistic" or "friendly" either.
I wish there was an eye icon that would mean "I see you, I see your humanity".

I feel odd about rating posts too. To "like" a thread implies to me that you liked the post. So if someone tells a sad story I really get stuck! I don't "like" their story, I am sad and appalled or angry about how the person was treated. I don't "like" that at all.
These stories are not something I can "agree" with, they are not "creative", "useful", "informative", "optomistic" or "friendly" either.
I wish there was an eye icon that would mean "I see you, I see your humanity".
FB does have a caring icon, and angry icon, and a sad icon. I suspect this forum doesn't want to allow anything but upbeat responses.

New Threads

Top Bottom