• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Common expressions

Faggots the flesh of an animal and the body parts of an animal ground up into a ball, fags(fag sing) are cigarettes not faggots.
An ass is the mating of a horse and a donkey.
Just like other countries, each area of the UK has its own particular words, if I travel 150 miles ,there are words I have never used, just because those words you've mentioned are used in one area ,they are not necessarily used in another area, Americans appear to think everybody from the UK lives in East London.

It is the same in the USA - drive 100 miles in any one direction and you will hear words, phrases and pronunciations different from the place you just left.

Asses are the same as jackasses here - they are donkeys. Horses crossbred with donkeys produce either mules or hinnies, depending on which one is the mother.

We have three donkeys as pets. In the winter, they eat a big hole in the center of the haybales where the dried grass is sweeter. Guess what we call those holes? LOL. We have lots of ass jokes around here. "Dumb ass" is perfectly acceptable when dealing with the donkeys.

One time when I was a kid, we had a student minister preach at our church. He got all wound up preaching about Good Friday and Easter, and actually said the Jesus rode into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday on the 'ass of a colt.' There was a lot of suppressed snickering from the congregation.

"Family is Everything" (Is that an expression?) I've found that mostly people who've had a happy family life say things like that when it's easy for them to say. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a happy household.

This isn't really an expression but I often see it: "feeling blessed" often accompanied with a #. To me, it implies a sort of religious preference from God, that for some reason a higher power decided to give you a better life than others. How about "A lucky life" or a "a good life" instead? Because part of the outcome can be from the luck of the dice roll, while the other part is also the work you put into it.

Last edited:
It is the same in the USA - drive 100 miles in any one direction and you will hear words, phrases and pronunciations different from the place you just left.

Asses are the same as jackasses here - they are donkeys. Horses crossbred with donkeys produce either mules or hinnies, depending on which one is the mother.

We have three donkeys as pets. In the winter, they eat a big hole in the center of the haybales where the dried grass is sweeter. Guess what we call those holes? LOL. We have lots of ass jokes around here. "Dumb ass" is perfectly acceptable when dealing with the donkeys.

One time when I was a kid, we had a student minister preach at our church. He got all wound up preaching about Good Friday and Easter, and actually said the Jesus rode into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday on the 'ass of a colt.' There was a lot of suppressed snickering from the congregation.
Colt is hard to grasp for me! as I've not lived very close to horses,in n.e.england words can change by the mile, there've been so many people's come to this main island that it's like separate countries .

"Family is Everything" (Is that an expression?) I've found that mostly people who've had a happy family life say things like that when it's easy for them to say. Not everyone is lucky enough to have a happy household.

This isn't really an expression but I often see it: "feeling blessed" often accompanied with a #. To me, it implies a sort of religious preference from God, that for some reason a higher power decided to give you a better life than others. How about "A lucky life" or a "a good life" instead? Because part of the outcome can be from the luck of the dice roll, while the other part is also the work you put into it.
Luck can be bad, blessing is used as positive\good in some beliefs .

Again if you're humanist or atheist that's your belief for people who don't believe in luck it's blessing

I have spent a lot of time saying "what do you mean?".

You are correct. The phrase really is "I couldn't care less". If someone says "I could care less" they are showing their ignorance, that's all.
My time has been spent thinking confused and saying I don't know

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Pudding renamed Spotted Richard

View attachment 69306

Spotted dick - Wikipedia

Etymology
"Spotted" is a clear reference to the dried fruit in the pudding (which resemble spots). "Dick" and "dog" were dialectal terms widely used for pudding, from the same etymology as "dough" (i.e., the modern equivalent name would be "spotted pudding"). In late 19th century Huddersfield, for instance, a glossary of local terms described: "Dick, plain pudding. If with treacle sauce, treacle dick."
If anyone wants to buy it to try don't get the Heinz produced one the recipe is incorrect, they've made it into a sponge pudding which apparently is what they think every English person eats when spotted dick is a suet pudding.

Luck can be bad, blessing is used as positive\good in some beliefs .
Ya, I know the reason why it's used. It just rubs me the wrong way the same way other expressions seem to bother others. We all know someone is not killing two birds with one stone, or that someone isn't actually wearing their hearts on their sleeves.

The word "bless" definition is 'God's favor or protection' so it bothers me that an expression can translate to God favoring one above others.

Last edited:
Ya, I know the reason why it's used. It just rubs me the wrong way the same way other expressions seem to bother others. We all know someone is not killing two birds with one stone, or that someone isn't actually wearing their hearts on their sleeves.

The word "bless" definition is 'God's favor or protection' so it bothers me that an expression can translate to God favoring one above others.
I don't think you do understand just saying lucky could be bad or! good ,saying blessing just indicates good ,believing in a God is not exclusive to a percentage of people, it's for all people who choose to!

It wouldn't be used as we know donkeys can communicate ,dumb is not having speech not lack of intellect

"Dumb" historically meant speechless, but it now also means lacking in intelligence. Crude people throw around the insult of "dumb ass", or they do where I live. I was making a joke that we can call our donkeys dumb asses without insulting them. They can be sensitive if you slight them, like not favoring each of them first with treats. Very jealous of each other in vying for attention.

I've owned horses and donkeys for decades, most of my life. Trust me, donkeys are smarter than horses. That is why you ride a donkey up and down the cliffs of the Grand Canyon instead of a horse. They are African desert animals more closely related to zebras than horses.

Sorry I just digressed miles away from the thread!

"Dumb" historically meant speechless, but it now also means lacking in intelligence. Crude people throw around the insult of "dumb ass", or they do where I live. I was making a joke that we can call our donkeys dumb asses without insulting them. They can be sensitive if you slight them, like not favoring each of them first with treats. Very jealous of each other in vying for attention.

I've owned horses and donkeys for decades, most of my life. Trust me, donkeys are smarter than horses. That is why you ride a donkey up and down the cliffs of the Grand Canyon instead of a horse. They are African desert animals more closely related to zebras than horses.

I knew a fellow who pastured his horse in the high mountains in the summer. The horse was lonely so he bought him a goat. The goat was good company but seemed to attract the attention of cougars and wolves. So he bought them both a donkey. Problem solved!

Are there any expressions that are used liberally, but are distastful to you? And that you have changed to ease your imagination?

There are a few, but the biggest one is "kill two bird's with one stone" and even typing that makes me feel horrible. Such a cruel expression. So, I have changed it to: save two birds with one net, and get a few rye smiles from those around me.

I bet you hate "dog-eat-dog world" then. :p

I'm speaking\conversing in my language which isn't American English so humour is based on coming from n.e.england and not using Americanisms

Growing up in the Deep South in the states I heard a lot of them;

To keep it clean, one I mostly heard was:

“If a frog had wings it wouldn’t bump it’s behind”

This is true. Don’t think that was the intentions though.

Taking things literally has had it’s moments.

Growing up in the Deep South in the states I heard a lot of them;

To keep it clean, one I mostly heard was:

“If a frog had wings it wouldn’t bump it’s behind”

This is true. Don’t think that was the intentions though.

Taking things literally has had it’s moments.

I am baffled by that one! o_O

You all should see me laugh when I finally figure out the point of some of these expressions!

You all should see me laugh when I finally figure out the point of some of these expressions!
One from Billy connolly's father I'll take my hand off your face Billy Connolly said it's the putting your hand on at high-speed that bothers me

New Threads

Top Bottom