• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Common expressions

This isn't really an expression and I know it's a little silly but I hate when friends ask me, "When are we going to hang out?" I'm always like, "Well, let me look in my crystal ball and find out..." I don't know? How about you ask me to do something? Suggest a few dates or activities? Maybe I take it too literally but I feel that question puts it on me to come up with something.

BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Pudding renamed Spotted Richard

View attachment 69306

Spotted dick - Wikipedia

Etymology
"Spotted" is a clear reference to the dried fruit in the pudding (which resemble spots). "Dick" and "dog" were dialectal terms widely used for pudding, from the same etymology as "dough" (i.e., the modern equivalent name would be "spotted pudding"). In late 19th century Huddersfield, for instance, a glossary of local terms described: "Dick, plain pudding. If with treacle sauce, treacle dick."

I remember when I was studying abroad in the UK, seeing the can of Spotted Dick in the grocery store really threw me for a loop haha.

I was also confused by British people asking me, "Are you okay?" In the USA, you typically only ask this when something is wrong. Apparently, "Are you okay" is the same as an American asking, "How are you?" But at the time, it confused me. I'm like, "Why? Do I not look okay? Do I seem upset?"

This isn't really an expression and I know it's a little silly but I hate when friends ask me, "When are we going to hang out?" I'm always like, "Well, let me look in my crystal ball and find out..." I don't know? How about you ask me to do something? Suggest a few dates or activities? Maybe I take it too literally but I feel that question puts it on me to come up with something.

Yes, they are putting it on you to come up with something. When they do this, ask a question in return; "What do you have in mind?"

Another one I don't like: "Why don't you ever call me?"
Hmm... phones work two ways!

I remember when I was studying abroad in the UK, seeing the can of Spotted Dick in the grocery store really threw me for a loop haha.

I was also confused by British people asking me, "Are you okay?" In the USA, you typically only ask this when something is wrong. Apparently, "Are you okay" is the same as an American asking, "How are you?" But at the time, it confused me. I'm like, "Why? Do I not look okay? Do I seem upset?"
And written information is misleading again asking if you are ok in the UK is dependent on the tone of voice

Language in Britain has changed enormously. There is Old English, Middle English, and Modern English.
It depends on where you come from your education, your culture, some people in the UK will only speak one form of English and nothing else!,but! that's not all people, what I speak is different from other people that live in my area, some people in the UK never ever speak English at all they have emigrated to this country and cannot speak the language at all.

Heinz spotted dick doesn't look like the one made in the UK. Just as Boudin(ground up animals body with spices probably originally encased in the stomach of said animal )that's made in New Orleans sounds interesting until you hear the description!

Heinz spotted dick doesn't look like the one made in the UK. Just as Boudin(ground up animals body with spices probably originally encased in the stomach of said animal )that's made in New Orleans sounds interesting until you hear the description!

Boudin is a just a Cajun (south Louisiana) sausage made with ground pork, rice and spices encased in pig or lamb intestines. All sausage is made similarly but lack the rice and spicy heat which makes boudin distinct. Really no different from Italian, German or any other type of sausage.

Hubby and I have made venison sausage several times when he hunts on our land. He usually gets one deer per year which is plenty of meat for the two of us. We have a meat grinder and casing stuffer attachment for the stand mixer. Venison is such lean meat that we add pork fat to it to get the right consistency. Very easy and fun to do because we experiment with various spice mixtures to get great flavors.

What's that sausage cooked in sheep stomachs in Scotland? Hagis? What does it taste like?

I don't really mind much of any term that 1) I understand, and 2) I know is used widely.

It's when I use terms associated with specific dialects that can cause problems. Like asking a salesperson about a "chifferobe" when I probably should have said "armoire". :oops:

In California if you ask for a side order of grits you get a smirk or laugh. In Nevada you get served. :rolleyes:

- Sic Semper Tyrannis ;)

Last edited:
Boudin is a just a Cajun (south Louisiana) sausage made with ground pork, rice and spices encased in pig or lamb intestines. All sausage is made similarly but lack the rice and spicy heat which makes boudin distinct. Really no different from Italian, German or any other type of sausage.

Hubby and I have made venison sausage several times when he hunts on our land. He usually gets one deer per year which is plenty of meat for the two of us. We have a meat grinder and casing stuffer attachment for the stand mixer. Venison is such lean meat that we add pork fat to it to get the right consistency. Very easy and fun to do because we experiment with various spice mixtures to get great flavors.

What's that sausage cooked in sheep stomachs in Scotland? Hagis? What does it taste like?
Some sausage in the UK doesn't use the lining of an animals stomach, Haggis comes in a vegetarian form ,I've never tasted the vegetarian one .
I eat vegan sausage .

actually and literally are overused.

I get the impression that English speaking people tend to use such adverbs as "flavoring particles" because English really doesn't have any as do other languages.

So we get creative, even applying expletives in much the same manner. :oops:

Last edited:
I get the impression that English speaking people tend to use such adverbs as "flavoring particles" because English really doesn't have any as do other languages.

Flavoring particles? This sounds like packaged product marketing talk to me.

Since it’s on topic for this thread, it’s ‘wry smile’ - not ‘rye smile’. :p

Anyway, I can’t think of one right now. Too distracted.

English is not a picture based language unlike Egyptian and other languages so adverbs give fine detail,as in this quote from the New testament" verily ,verily I say unto you what soever a man soweth that shall he reap"by using verily twice Yeshua (Jesus) is informing the power of his message ,unlike painting a man grabbing someone in an arm lock .
download.png
this is the letter b from the Hebrew alphabet which is a picture based language the b is supposed to represent a house ,when you pronounce the letter b !you say bet (h), but when you spell it in transliterated Hebrew you spell it with the h, which actually means house in Hebrew.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom