• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Coming Out"

Rasputin

ASD / Aspie
V.I.P Member
NOT! After considering the responses received, I changed my mind.

Well after seeing the new doctor today, maybe I will after all.

Last edited:
That is a big deal. But this will go to the giant medical cloud database in the sky. l told a counselor but it's confidential so it stopped at her office. l am not willing to release that info of being on the spectrum, l guess l am high functioning so no need to.

Good luck!

After many years dealing with sleep and other issues, I am seeing a new primary care physician tomorrow. Of primary importance is getting on an antidepressant that can turn my mind off and allow me to sleep more than one hour without waking. I simply can not continue getting by on 3-5 hours of broken sleep per night, and then trying to work the next day as if everything is fine.

I was on such a drug for a number of years, until my doctor retired. The drug worked, so I am going to present this new doctor with output from a sleep log, my family medical history, and a description of my issues. I was never formally diagnosed with ASD, but it is about to get real if I can get a referral to someone qualified to diagnose ASD.
from the reaction i got they werent interested in the ASD diagnosis apart from me taking their time, more bothered if youre suicidal in case they get sued !

from the reaction i got they werent interested in the ASD diagnosis apart from me taking their time, more bothered if youre suicidal in case they get sued !

This is the response you received from a doctor? Well as long as he is willing to prescribe something to enable me to sleep. I guess I was under the impression they would not prescribe something without a diagnosis.

Thanks. From the responses I received so far, I might just describe my issues and the medication that worked for me, and see where that leads. I am not afraid of the diagnosis, but it seems that it is not well received by people who do not have ASD.

Yes, its a thing to consider carefully. I am only self-diagnosed, but even if I had an official diagnosis would be very guarded in whom I told. Like any mental health issue it normally isn't anyone else's business anyway. It doesn't really much matter now to me but when I first figured it out (late 30's) I was still in the military and it would have presented a big problem. Its very much a personal choice based on your specific needs and circumstances. And I get the Meds I need thru an Gen Anxiety Disorder Diagnosis.

Yes, there is still a lot of misinformation, misunderstanding and Stigma out there about autism. Some choose to fight the good fight and come out to help change that perception. I admire and respect them for it. But not everyone is up to or ready for that and I don't blame myself or anyone who chooses to remain in Stealth mode. Life can be quite difficult enough without adding potential new challenges.

This is the response you received from a doctor? Well as long as he is willing to prescribe something to enable me to sleep. I guess I was under the impression they would not prescribe something without a diagnosis.
yes!a GP but NHS (uk)not !private !more !expensive insurance , 5 mins is the limit each patient!!!!!!! ,Im autistic different if Im with NT,dont speak NT! but I did the last part of my post so now im sort of a criminal.

Yes, its a thing to consider carefully. I am only self-diagnosed, but even if I had an official diagnosis would be very guarded in whom I told. Like any mental health issue it normally isn't anyone else's business anyway. It doesn't really much matter now to me but when I first figured it out (late 30's) I was still in the military and it would have presented a big problem. Its very much a personal choice based on your specific needs and circumstances. And I get the Meds I need thru an Gen Anxiety Disorder Diagnosis.

Yes, there is still a lot of misinformation, misunderstanding and Stigma out there about autism. Some choose to fight the good fight and come out to help change that perception. I admire and respect them for it. But not everyone is up to or ready for that and I don't blame myself or anyone who chooses to remain in Stealth mode. Life can be quite difficult enough without adding potential new challenges.

Anxiety and interrupted sleep from work related stress is what it will be. Thanks for the tip!

yes!a GP but NHS (uk)not !private !more !expensive insurance , 5 mins is the limit each patient!!!!!!! ,Im autistic different if Im with NT,dont speak NT! but I did the last part of my post so now im sort of a criminal.

Streetwise, I hope you are getting the medical support you need.

Docs have to ask if a patient feels like harming himself or harming someone else to cover the hospital and malpractice issues. Because medical people are required by law to report this.

In fact now if coworker tells me they are suicidal, l tell my manager pretty fast.

The other thing that a lot of people are unaware of: car accidents.
If you are in a pretty bad accident and the negligence is questionable, every question you answer on your past provider's (doctor's visits) paperwork will be gone over by the oposing party. Like do you socially drink, what meds do you take. When you answer questions it's best to think about this. They sift thru this paperwork to see if they can finger you, also past dmv records too.

Last edited:
Docs have to ask if a patient feels like harming himself or harming someone else to cover the hospital and malpractice issues. Because medical people are required by law to report this.

In fact now if coworker tells me they are suicidal, l tell my manager pretty fast.

If you are in a pretty bad accident and the negligence is questionable, every question you answer on your past provider's (doctor's visits) paperwork will be gone over by the oposing party. Like do you socially drink, what meds do you take. When you answer questions it's best to think about this. They sift thru this paperwork to see if they can finger you, also past dmv records too.

Yes you are right. One can not trust bureaucratic systems and assume that medical records will not be misused.

I feel empathy, ironically, for people who have placed trust in these systems.

Yes you are right. One can not trust bureaucratic systems and assume that medical records will not be misused.

I feel empathy, ironically, for people who have placed trust in these systems.
I’m very glad to live in a country where this is not allowed. My doctors are only allowed to release medical information with my express permission. Even then, they’re only allowed to release information to other medical professionals. They’re not allowed to give medical statements to insurance agencies or other parties. Bosses aren't allowed to ask for a note from the doctor when you’re sick, and doctors aren’t allowed to write such notes.
And there is no central database for medical records. The government has suggested this a few times, but those plans have all been shot down due to privacy concerns.

I’m very glad to live in a country where this is not allowed. My doctors are only allowed to release medical information with my express permission. Even then, they’re only allowed to release information to other medical professionals. They’re not allowed to give medical statements to insurance agencies or other parties. Bosses aren't allowed to ask for a note from the doctor when you’re sick, and doctors aren’t allowed to write such notes.
And there is no central database for medical records. The government has suggested this a few times, but those plans have all been shot down due to privacy concerns.

Despite my best efforts to keep this information out of a central database, I was not successful. The doctor I saw was very good, and could only prescribe medication short-term until I could see a Psychiatrist and a Behavioral Health Counselor. I completed a questionnaire and answered some follow-up questions, and he made a diagnosis of anxiety and depression on the spot, and said I had autistic characteristics. So to confirm his diagnoses and to get medication that I need, I have to go through a formal evaluation by a psychiatrist.

The doctor made a preliminary diagnosis and referred me to both a Behavioral Health Counselor and a Psychiatrist. He said he was not able to prescribe medication to help with sleep disturbance issues; that the Psychiatrist would have to do that. I asked about keeping these diagnoses out of their medical database, but he said that was not possible if I received treatment. So, I guess I just have to hope for the best.

The doctor made the Anxiety Disorder and Depression diagnosis on the spot, but unfortunately he also made a preliminary autistic diagnosis. So stealth mode did not work for me.

The doctor made a preliminary diagnosis and referred me to both a Behavioral Health Counselor and a Psychiatrist. He said he was not able to prescribe medication to help with sleep disturbance issues; that the Psychiatrist would have to do that. I asked about keeping these diagnoses out of their medical database, but he said that was not possible if I received treatment. So, I guess I just have to hope for the best.
What sickens me is the prejudice about your Neuro type ,If you Were neurotypical it wouldn’t even be mentioned, but no you are considered a disease because your Neuro type isn’t NT !they aren’t the bastion of perfect health !so why does your Neuro type have to be mentioned , you could almost sue them for prejudice, it’s archaic , to me it’s in the realm of eugenics.

What sickens me is the prejudice about your Neuro type ,If you Were neurotypical it wouldn’t even be mentioned, but no you are considered a disease because your Neuro type isn’t NT !they aren’t the bastion of perfect health !so why does your Neuro type have to be mentioned , you could almost sue them for prejudice, it’s archaic , to me it’s in the realm of eugenics.

Yeah, I agree with you. I managed to stay under the radar for 61 years, and suddenly now I have a disorder. Which begs the question, why do I need to see a behavioral counselor at all?

My wife's response when I discussed this with her is that "you can not mention this to any family or friends". So the prejudice is real.

Sorry to hear it didn't go as you hoped. I do hope at least they will be able to help with the sleep issue. Sometimes you just have to take things as they come. Not sure about the diagnosis process they have, but there may be a point where you have to consent to it to proceed.

Sorry to hear it didn't go as you hoped. I do hope at least they will be able to help with the sleep issue. Sometimes you just have to take things as they come. Not sure about the diagnosis process they have, but there may be a point where you have to consent to it to proceed.

The way it was described to me, they can not prescribe anything to help the sleep issue unless I consent to an evaluation by a psychiatrist. So I have no choice, because the insomnia is affecting my health.

The way it was described to me, they can not prescribe anything to help the sleep issue unless I consent to an evaluation by a psychiatrist. So I have no choice, because the insomnia is affecting my health.
Do you take an antidepressant if so ask your GP if you could Upthe dose until you see the psychiatrist That may be a way of circumventing the psychiatrist completely

New Threads

Top Bottom