• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clothes: What you can/can't stand

Tags of course.
I'm also not a fan of jeans. Or t-shirts for that matter.
I've found myself drawing away from clothing that constricts, generally. Waist? Okay. Below? Feel like throwing up. Above? Can't breathe. It makes binding, or just wearing chest support, a big hassle.
O% enjoyment of synthetic fibers, but that may be the designer/seamstress in me.
Despite hating wool as a child, I've learned to love it for the reason that it has kept me warm like nothing else. My poor circulation accepts no substitutes these days.
Most of my clothing is loose, layered, and made of natural fibers.
I do not wear wool, and living in the north need warmth. But I care for alpacas at neighbors who also weave and make clothes for sale. Alpaca fiber is the best and 6 times warmer than wool! It is very soft and does not scratch the skin like wool. But it cost money unless you have good neighbor. Also if you get to Peru or Chile, socks, hat, vest, sweater make for nice winter wardrobe. Stay warm.

Tight-fitting clothes and sock seams are the worst offenders.
I also prefer either full-length sleeves or no sleeves at all - I keep wanting to pull short sleeves down.

Tight-fitting clothes and sock seams are the worst offenders.
I also prefer either full-length sleeves or no sleeves at all - I keep wanting to pull short sleeves down.
I assume then you share my passion for three-quarter sleeves that fall halfway between your wrist and elbow to make your forearm itch all day long?

I assume then you share my passion for three-quarter sleeves that fall halfway between your wrist and elbow to make your forearm itch all day long?
At the risk of perpetuating the stereotype, was that sarcasm? ;) I can cope with them rolled up to elbow level...anyone know what the point of such a design is?

I'm really curious if someone else shares the quirks, and overall interested in others' clothing quirks.
  • I hate tags. I hate them. I can't to them, and if I do, they MUST not be so gfhdjhgjkf bothersome.
  • I need to layer. I have to wear a camisole (or two) before I'm satisfied, as otherwise, I'm going to be upset ALL day long over how naked I feel.
  • I don't know the fabric, but there is one that I just love and wish all my clothes were in. (Only a select few a in the fabric.)
There are probably more, but I can't think of them. D;

When going out casually in public, I must always wear jeans, a t-shirt and Chucks. I can't stand any tight fitting clothes. I hate work clothes (business casual) but have learned how to work around that, such as wearing corduroys instead of skirts/dresses, and I must always wear a jacket to cover my arms which I feel are flabby :p As soon as I get home, before doing anything else I must change into pajamas because comfort is #1 priority.

At the risk of perpetuating the stereotype, was that sarcasm? ;) I can cope with them rolled up to elbow level...anyone know what the point of such a design is?
Heheh, yes. I was absent the day they were teaching autistics to have no sense of humor. :p
I have no clue who came up with three-quarter sleeves. Full sleeves make sense, half sleeves make sense, and no sleeves make sense. But those stubby little nubs that barely clear the shoulder and those that go half between the elbow and wrist make no sense to me and drive me nuts. I'm always pulling at them or pushing them up.

Heheh, yes. I was absent the day they were teaching autistics to have no sense of humor. :p
I have no clue who came up with three-quarter sleeves. Full sleeves make sense, half sleeves make sense, and no sleeves make sense. But those stubby little nubs that barely clear the shoulder and those that go half between the elbow and wrist make no sense to me and drive me nuts. I'm always pulling at them or pushing them up.

I actually like 3/4 sleeves because they stay pushed up to my elbow better than long-sleeves do. I only wear them on days when a long sleeve is too hot but a short sleeve is too cold. But the long sleeves, if you have to push them up to stay cool enough, get all stretched out and start sliding back down. The 3/4 sleeves, though, usually stay put a lot better.

And short sleeves...I don't like for them to come halfway down my arm like t-shirt sleeves do. They dangle and brush against everything and it annoys me. I'd rather have tight short sleeves that are pretty short...although there has to be some sleeve there or it looks odd.

Anything pressing against my neck i.e. undershirts, t-shirts, turtlenecks. Feels like someone has their hands around my throat. Definitely no ties. I used to hate blue jeans as a child. Got teased a little for always wearing khakis, slacks to school. Now I have gotten used to jeans though as long as they are not really tight. Love sweat pants!

One word, nudity. I only wear clothes when in public. I despise underwear, and anything abraisive. I love my leather jacket though. It makes me feel secure.

I like to cover up as much as possible, and usually dress for comfort as opposed to wearing something just to look good or sexy or whatever, although I always find a way of combining both?

I wear dresses a lot, ideally they have to have sleeves that go to my elbows or wrists. I hate my arms.
I cannot stand tags but unless they are really bothering me, they will stay in...
I hate wearing t-shirts or any kind of tops unless they are quite long
I used to love jeans but not a fan much anymore..I wish I was :/ They irritate me though

I virtually live in south asian clothes. I know it's kinda odd for a white woman to wear it, but I often wear salwar kameez and saree's when I can. They are just so comfortable! Plus i'm kinda obsessed with everything south asian so.. :D

I hate shoes and socks..I love flipflops..if it wasn't cold, i'd still be in them now :)

I like tight vest tops if they are very stretchy and so don't feel stiff or restrictive. They can feel a bit uncomfortable when I first put them on, because of the tightness, but once I've adjusted, I actually like the sensation of the pressure. I've just started layering two vest tops to wear in bed, whereas I only use to wear one, and find the extra pressure helps me relax.

I prefer fabrics that are soft to touch, jersey is my favourite

I immediately relax if I hold soft fleecy fabrics, so really like jumpers and dressing gowns that are soft and fleecy

I tend to wear some form of denim trousers for casual occassions away from home and I always feel relieved to take them off and put soft loose joggers on when I get home.

In summer, if its hot (it's england, so not gauranteed:rolleyes:), I like loose soft cotton tops and trousers best. They're not as comfortable as jersy or brushed fabrics but they are more airy feeling and breath better.

Can't stand satin. Satin is to my skin what nails running down a chalk board is to my ears.
Omg, satin is the worst. >.>

I can't stand itchy sweaters even with a shirt under they make me itch.My mom loves to buy these for me, which I only wear on a holiday for her.
Tags yeah I dislike them too annoying they are.
Polyester fabric I hate the feel of it, most shirts that are dressy have it. Also hand wash only, who has time for that? So many shirts look cute til I see polyester and hand wash only, then I am like nope....
My real pet peeve is shoes though. I have to have comfortable shoes or I just feel miserable.
I like shoes with zero arch or very little arch support. Mostly boots have this so I wear a lot of boots, some tennis shoes do too but they are hard to find and then there is the size of my enormous feet to make it harder.I am flat footed I guess that explains it. I have absolutely no arch in my feet what so ever so heels hurt me tremendously.
I like stretchy yoga jogging pants, sweat pants, loose t shirts, and hoodies I go for comfort rather than style.

New Threads

Top Bottom