• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Clothes: What you can/can't stand

Oh, funny how people start mentioning jeans now... I don't even own a pair of jeans myself either. Yeah.. not too fond of those kind of pants either.

If I could ban one article of clothing, it would be jeans!!!!! :mad: I don't care what anyone says - jeans are the most uncomfortable articles of clothing ever made. The fabric is so thick it probably should only be worn in the winter. And why don't people think they don't need to wash their jeans? I think jeans are just an easy way for people to wear the same clothing day after day and no one knows if they are wearing different jeans or not. Ewe! And we all know that since jeans are cotton they will shrink in the wash down to Barbie doll size. Who wants to do a bunch of squats trying to get their jeans to fit?

Now I'm not a complete Debbie Downer when it comes to jeans as I really love a nice jean jacket and jean leggings are comfy too. I also have some actual jeans, but not anything that I need to lay down on the bed for in order to button them up! :confused: And I also used to really love jean overalls. Contrary to what you may believe, I actually used to collect a lot of jean wear by GUESS when I was younger, so I'm not completely against jeans - just button fly jeans, I suppose. :)

I have to laugh because this doesn't usually happen, but I saw this guy about a week ago and I can't stop thinking about what he looked like. I saw him coming out of Hyvee and he had a black suit on with a crisp white shirt (no tie) and black sunglasses on. I'm laughing now because I was driving in the car past him and I actually had to stop the car to do a double-take of him and I was even looking in the rear view mirror at him too! For someone to get my attention like that, they must really be something, but it wasn't his actual looks - IT WAS WHAT HE WAS WEARING! I'm telling you if you want to get the attention of women, wear nice dress clothes and you can make it more laid back by not wearing a tie. I'm still thinking about him and it's a week later!!! I just love a guy in a black suit with a crisp white shirt I guess. :p
My brother says, How come on "Casual days" (in offices and stuff) people wear jeans? Because jeans are not comfortable. There are certain things for which jeans are suited, certain types of manual work, and stuff, when one needs a durable tough fabric. But why do people wear jeans when they are trying to relax?

I like blue jeans. I'll wear those before I will anything else because they're sturdy enough for pockets. I ain't carryin' a purse, come hell, high water, or if I look like a Rob Liefeld drawing! Minus the spinal damage, that guy seriously needs to learn how to draw women...

Tags.. Oh, the nightmare! Only the thought of the nasty feeling makes me shiver. Sometimes I wear my husband's t-shirts and he always laughs about how he can always tell which ones I was wearing because the tags are removed.

I like layers as well and the lower one is the most important, must be really soft. And I love hoodies!

Hehe, recently I made this very confusing purchase. It's like a long sleeved t-shirt made of some synthetic fabric, really awful to the touch. But it has sharks print all over it so I couldn't resist and just had to buy it (sharks is one of my special interests)! So I kind of hate it and love it in the same time. :sweatsmile:
Maybe I will even find a way to wear it somehow if I put something very soft and nice under it, hmm..

Most tags irritate me, and now I don't even wait to see if they are going to bother me or not, I cut them out as soon as I buy the item. I don't like anything being tight round the neck, and I don't like elasticated cuffs or tops because they ride up and leave my skin exposed, that's a horrible sensation! I don't like it when my pajama bottoms ride up and bunch up on my leg when I'm in bed either. I always go for natural fabrics like cotton, and avoid synthetic ones. I like the feel of a soft fleece, though. Clothes make me itch all the time whatever the material, especially hats.

There used to be a fashion in women's clothing for really short tops which leave the waist or tummy exposed - I can't wear these because I hate having exposed skin. I've even seen really short jackets and coats - I can't understand how anyone would want to wear these. To my mind, they defeat the object becasue clothes are meant to protect you and keep you warm. I've also seen some kind of women's shirt which is blouse and underwear in one. I don't know how people can wear those either - what happens when they want to stretch themselves? It looks so uncomfortable!

Looks like I'm in the minority. I love wearing jeans. If I'm home all day, I'll stay in workout pants or something, but if I'm going anywhere and am not absolutely required to dress up (which is rare), then I'm in jeans. They have to be just right, though: right brand, right cut, right pockets (NO flaps), right blue. I guess where some aspies like heavy blankets, I like snug jeans. Anything looser, and I feel exposed and vulnerable. But they can't be too tight or I feel like I can't breathe.

I shop for jeans at consignment sales usually so I can get the good brands that fit right and don't shrink.

I also prefer layers, even in summer. Camis in warm weather, warm base layers in cold weather. I much prefer long shirts, stretchy, form-fitting and sporty, but very flexible so I don't feel restrained. I can't stand jean jackets because they restrict my movement too much.

And the shoes...MUST be comfortable. Hiking boots, sneakers, even flip flops if they're comfortable ones.

Looks like I'm in the minority. I love wearing jeans. If I'm home all day, I'll stay in workout pants or something, but if I'm going anywhere and am not absolutely required to dress up (which is rare), then I'm in jeans. They have to be just right, though: right brand, right cut, right pockets (NO flaps), right blue. I guess where some aspies like heavy blankets, I like snug jeans. Anything looser, and I feel exposed and vulnerable. But they can't be too tight or I feel like I can't breathe.
Jeans are the perfect out-and-about pants. I'm the opposite about tightness, they have to be loose. Because those little seams in the crotch line up just right to... OWWWWW. I quit wearing womens' jeans a long time ago because I couldn't sit down in them.

Jeans are the perfect out-and-about pants. I'm the opposite about tightness, they have to be loose. Because those little seams in the crotch line up just right to... OWWWWW. I quit wearing womens' jeans a long time ago because I couldn't sit down in them.

There are a lot of brands that do that to me--totally understand! I've found that a certain cut of aeropostale jeans fit me just right, though.

I also have a pair of Seven for all mankind jeans that I picked up at a consignment sale for about $10 that are amazing. They're snug but very stretchy and the cut is just right for my shape.

Last edited:
There are a lot of brands that do that to me--totally understand! I've found that a certain cut off aeropostale jeans fit me just right, though.

I also have a pair of Seven for all mankind jeans that I picked up at a consignment sale for about $10 that are amazing. They're snug but very stretchy and the cut is just right for my shape.
$10 ain't bad!
I'm in love with Faded Glory carpenter pants. I haven't tried Aeropostale yet or most stores like that. All the ones I saw were beat up for fashion purposes. Used to I was pretty fond of Levi's, but I haven't checked their men's line yet.

$10 ain't bad!
I'm in love with Faded Glory carpenter pants. I haven't tried Aeropostale yet or most stores like that. All the ones I saw were beat up for fashion purposes. Used to I was pretty fond of Levi's, but I haven't checked their men's line yet.

Do you have a Plato's Closet in your area? I often find Aeropostale jeans there for $10-15...and they're not the beat up kinds. :)

I used to like Arizona Jeans and Lee, but since discovering Aeropostale jeans, I got rid of most of the jeans I had before.

Do you have a Plato's Closet in your area? I often find Aeropostale jeans there for $10-15...and they're not the beat up kinds. :)

And I used to think Plato's Closet was unique only to Reno...LOL. We another as well called "Junkee Clothing Exchange"...a great resource.

I used to like Arizona Jeans and Lee, but since discovering Aeropostale jeans, I got rid of most of the jeans I had before.
Never heard of it, but then again, I'm not much of a shopper. Sometimes if we're lucky, Burke's/Goody's will have a really good sale, but I haven't been in there in months to remember what brands they carry beyond Levi's. I used to have an Arizona Jeans sweater and loved it.

I have always wondered why people buy ripped jeans. I mean, why would you buy something that is already worn through? It just seems silly and a waste of money to me.

I think every thing I would say has been said. Tags ! If they touch or tickle me they drive me crazy, I'm very sensitive to light touch.
Likewise clothes can't be scratchy. Function is much more important to form. I'm not into fashion, rather comfort.
Layer in winter, bla bla.

:)

Another tag hater here :D some clothes has tags sewed into the clothes itself, which makes them very hard to cut off, why oh why did they do that :p
Prefer to wear cotton, polyester gives me a rash, if I am sweating a lot.

Those of you for whom pressure helps, PLEASE tell me what you wear in the Summer! I'm desperate for ideas but also get too hot very easily. Added to light sensitivity it's another layer of misery for three months a year.

I have texture problems. With food and clothing. I wore sweats a lot when I was younger. Then moved to more traditional clothings. Jeans, shirts. I'll wear jeans when I work. But when I'm home pajamas are my favorite. I also like my pants at or above my waist, I hate when they are below my waist.

Those of you for whom pressure helps, PLEASE tell me what you wear in the Summer! I'm desperate for ideas but also get too hot very easily. Added to light sensitivity it's another layer of misery for three months a year.

I wear a snug cami under my t-shirt or tank top in the summers, and I usually wear longer, blue-jean shorts (like almost to my knee) that are also a snug fit. I can't stand loose shorts, although sometimes I'll find a pair of capris that I like.

Tags of course.
I'm also not a fan of jeans. Or t-shirts for that matter.
I've found myself drawing away from clothing that constricts, generally. Waist? Okay. Below? Feel like throwing up. Above? Can't breathe. It makes binding, or just wearing chest support, a big hassle.
O% enjoyment of synthetic fibers, but that may be the designer/seamstress in me.
Despite hating wool as a child, I've learned to love it for the reason that it has kept me warm like nothing else. My poor circulation accepts no substitutes these days.
Most of my clothing is loose, layered, and made of natural fibers.

New Threads

Top Bottom