• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Chores

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
I'm not sure if this the right category to post this under but, does anyone else on here have issues with chores?

I always find that doing the dishes really cuts into my time, it always takes like around an hour to get it done; maybe I'm just too thorough with my cleaning. As for cleaning my place, I can only do that when I find an opportunity to do it.

What are your struggles with chores? Do you have any advice or stuff you've learned?

My struggle is connected to my need for clear space and 'order' i find it hard to leave domestic tasks and indulge my 'need' to clear up as soon as i've eaten, things 'out of place' cause me anxiety and makes it harder for me to relax and well just be, not a problem ATM as i live alone.

My struggle is connected to my need for clear space and 'order' i find it hard to leave domestic tasks and indulge my 'need' to clear up as soon as i've eaten, things 'out of place' cause me anxiety and makes it harder for me to relax and well just be, not a problem ATM as i live alone.
Heh, you wouldn't like my place then, not only is it messy as mentioned above, it's also real cluttery. Although there are some instances where my behaviour is like your's, in addition to possibly being too thorough cleaning dishes, I'm also very thorough with washing my hands and need making sure that they are as clean as possible before handling a new object.

I found a dishwasher saved me a lot of boredom. I tend to be minimalist in my washing of dishes unless there's grease or something baked on. Then I use detergent. Soap is for when the dirt won't rinse off.

I struggle to find the daily energy and willingness to do chores. My brain tires of them, because it: already knows how to do them, and feels neither intellectually nor creatively stimulated. :pensive: Sometimes, I'll put on music, and that kinda helps.

I feel far more motivated to do chores, if I do them for someone else whom I can delight. If I relieve someone and make them smile, I'll feel warm and appreciated.:kissingheart:

I despise being ordered to do chores for myself. For example, I dislike being told to clean my room. The room's a tad disheveled, but I nullify food waste that would attract pests. If someone doesn't like my room, they simply needn't visit it. However, some people get so insecure and picky. "Ugh! This place is a mess! You have to clean it." Why? You don't even need to be in here. Why should I waste energy maintaining a space whose: imperfection I can tolerate, and whose contents don't interfere with your life?

I'm a minimalist. I won't apologize for that.

I usually cant be bothered. At least, not until things are falling apart.

I've never had anything resembling a need or a desire to be "organized", so.... I'm not. What's that? Put things back where they go? Well, they ARE where they go. I've just redefined the "where" as being "the floor". It's not like those books will explode into a pile of evil spiders simply because they're not on a proper shelf.

Goes for things like washing clothes too. Wont get done till I've run out.

The one thing that's always been fine is grocery shopping. I end up at the stores often enough anyway, and I buy in small batches, not in one giant session. Or, well, I did, before the pandemic started. Now stuff gets ordered.

I struggle with finding the motivation to do chores - they're just boring and not stimulating, take too much time when I'd rather be doing something else. I also get distracted or forget to do them, don't get round to doing them.

When comes to chores I have a trifecta of laziness, procrastination and executive dysfunction to get past.

I guess distraction, stimulation and routine are the key things slowing me down when it comes to chores. My mind often wanders when I do the dishes and I often have to listen to a podcast or Youtube video while doing them.

A lot of times, I'll have Youtube come to an end (I usually listen to interview and talk-show type videos) and I'll stop doing what I'm doing to really focus on the last bit, and then the show and/or sometimes, the guest will go on talking for another handful of minutes leaving me just standing there waiting for the show to end!

I am however trying a new strategy for making my dish washing quicker, now I fill the other sink with water and when I'm done scrubbing one dish I just soak it in there to rinse while I go for the next dish; when all the dishes are cleaned I then take the dishes out of said sink and quickly rinse-off any remaining residue before putting them in the rack to dry. Does adding vinegar to the sink full of rinsing water help with cleanliness? I'm not a germaphobe, (my place can testify to that) but I add about a table spoon of vinegar to the rinsing water when doing the dishes, and I'm wondering if that in anyway boosts the sanitary-ness of washing my dishes.

Last edited:
It used to be very difficult for me to do chores. Somehow i started to like it after i started doing them while listening to music. In fact now i like to do cleaning and doing dishes, etc. While listening to music and day dreaming.
I also love the smell of cleaning products and choosing one which has a scent i like so i enjoy cleaning more.

New Threads

Top Bottom