• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can't use Blender

Well, a couple of things:

1. It's a forum full of technical people for a technical program. I'm gonna take a wild, crazy guess and say that they probably get a LOT of questions thrown their way. And for many, it's hard to see enough good reason for that when Google... and AI... exist, since those can be used to find answers. What I mean is, they probably get a lot of questions that could be answered with a quick search and some scrolling, and that gets on their nerves fast. So, any question perceived as such quickly goes south. Particularly if said person is used to Googling the heck outta things to get answers themselves... then they're probably thinking "geez, I use Google and find answers all the time, this guy asking me needs to just do that".

Anyway, just to see what would happen, I went and pitched the question at ChatGPT to see what it might do (I asked how I would get a final render that looks like it was done on a "poor quality camera" since that's the term I always associate with the type of image you're after), it gave me this, just expand the quote to see it:

To make your final render in Blender look like it was taken on a poor-quality camera, you can use a combination of techniques to mimic the visual artifacts typically associated with low-quality cameras. These techniques include reducing resolution, adding noise, adjusting color balance, and adding lens distortion.

1. Reduce the resolution:
In the Output Properties tab, set a lower resolution for your render. This will help to mimic the low resolution of a poor-quality camera.

2. Add noise/grain:
- In the Compositor, enable the "Use Nodes" option.
- Add a "Noise" or "Grain" node by pressing Shift+A, going to "Texture" and selecting "White Noise" or "Musgrave" (for grain).
- Add a "MixRGB" node by pressing Shift+A, going to "Color" and selecting "MixRGB."
- Connect the "Color" output of the noise/grain node to the "Color2" input of the MixRGB node, and the "Image" output of the Render Layers node to the "Color1" input of the MixRGB node.
- Adjust the "Factor" slider in the MixRGB node to control the intensity of the noise/grain effect.
- Connect the "Color" output of the MixRGB node to the "Image" input of the Composite node.

3. Adjust color balance:
- Add a "Color Balance" node by pressing Shift+A, going to "Color" and selecting "Color Balance."
- Place the Color Balance node between the MixRGB node and the Composite node.
- Adjust the Lift, Gamma, and Gain wheels to change the color balance of the render. This can help mimic the color imbalances often found in poor-quality cameras.

4. Add lens distortion:
- Add a "Lens Distortion" node by pressing Shift+A, going to "Distort" and selecting "Lens Distortion."
- Place the Lens Distortion node between the Color Balance node and the Composite node.
- Adjust the "Distort" and "Dispersion" sliders to add lens distortion to the render.

5. Add chromatic aberration:
- Add a "Separate RGBA" node by pressing Shift+A, going to "Converter" and selecting "Separate RGBA."
- Place the Separate RGBA node after the Lens Distortion node.
- Add a "Combine RGBA" node by pressing Shift+A, going to "Converter" and selecting "Combine RGBA."
- Add a "Translate" node by pressing Shift+A, going to "Distort" and selecting "Translate."
- Duplicate the Translate node twice, so you have three of them.
- Connect the R, G, and B outputs of the Separate RGBA node to the Image input of the three Translate nodes.
- Connect the Image outputs of the Translate nodes to the R, G, and B inputs of the Combine RGBA node.
- Slightly offset the X and/or Y values of the Translate nodes to create chromatic aberration.
- Connect the "Image" output of the Combine RGBA node to the "Image" input of the Composite node.

After setting up these nodes and adjusting their values to your liking, render your scene, and the final result should look like it was taken on a poor-quality camera.

That's what it gave me after asking a quick question. Maybe that'll help you? (It might help ME later, I've actually been meaning to learn Blender and this sounds like something fun to do with it).

But back to the "dealing with the forum guy" bit, also, with stuff like this, one way or another you cant expect someone else to 100% fix your problem for you. You're the one that has the files you're working with, and you're the one that's gotta do some learning, or you're not gonna advance. Sometimes that means experimenting, trial and error.

2. Some people are also just irritable, or their patience for stuff like this wears off quickly. Like, I'm generally fine with people asking me "how does X work" IRL, but after like 2 or 3 questions, I'm gonna start to get annoyed at them. Why? Because I have little patience, that's why.

3. It's the internet. Sometimes there is no reason. Nothing you can do about that.

One way or another you've got zero control over what the other guy does, and how he does or does not respond. And zero control over who helps and who doesnt, or if anyone helps at all.

And with technical stuff like this, sometimes you just gotta figure some of it out on your own... been there, had to do that. Yes, it's annoying. Gotta do it anyway, often.

Great advice above ^

Someone got too angry, see this thread Create a bad camera effect in Cycles? for context, he just got angry and went away.
I didn’t interpret his comments as being overly angry. Just reached his limit for what he was willing to provide for support. I wouldn’t focus on getting that guy back, but you could certainly keep posting and looking for advice from others. Or, like Misery said, find less upsetting avenues for learning.

Well, a couple of things:

1. It's a forum full of technical people for a technical program. I'm gonna take a wild, crazy guess and say that they probably get a LOT of questions thrown their way. And for many, it's hard to see enough good reason for that when Google... and AI... exist, since those can be used to find answers. What I mean is, they probably get a lot of questions that could be answered with a quick search and some scrolling, and that gets on their nerves fast. So, any question perceived as such quickly goes south. Particularly if said person is used to Googling the heck outta things to get answers themselves... then they're probably thinking "geez, I use Google and find answers all the time, this guy asking me needs to just do that".

Anyway, just to see what would happen, I went and pitched the question at ChatGPT to see what it might do (I asked how I would get a final render that looks like it was done on a "poor quality camera" since that's the term I always associate with the type of image you're after), it gave me this, just expand the quote to see it:

That's what it gave me after asking a quick question. Maybe that'll help you? (It might help ME later, I've actually been meaning to learn Blender and this sounds like something fun to do with it).

But back to the "dealing with the forum guy" bit, also, with stuff like this, one way or another you cant expect someone else to 100% fix your problem for you. You're the one that has the files you're working with, and you're the one that's gotta do some learning, or you're not gonna advance. Sometimes that means experimenting, trial and error.

2. Some people are also just irritable, or their patience for stuff like this wears off quickly. Like, I'm generally fine with people asking me "how does X work" IRL, but after like 2 or 3 questions, I'm gonna start to get annoyed at them. Why? Because I have little patience, that's why.

3. It's the internet. Sometimes there is no reason. Nothing you can do about that.

One way or another you've got zero control over what the other guy does, and how he does or does not respond. And zero control over who helps and who doesnt, or if anyone helps at all.

And with technical stuff like this, sometimes you just gotta figure some of it out on your own... been there, had to do that. Yes, it's annoying. Gotta do it anyway, often.
ChatGPT is a bit wrong, can you give me the prompt to improve it? He mixes material nodes and composite nodes. Here is the final result after following his steps without the chromatic effects in a quickly made box with hole at a low amount of samples. There is no noise node and I didn't need to add a vignette.
1682331371875.png

After removing it and playing with the lenses distortion it added that noise I needed but on a scale too small
1682331889936.png

The question I used was literally just this:

"I'm using Blender, how can I get the final render to look as if it was taken on a poor quality camera?"

Just very, very simple. Which isnt actually the best way to do it. Note that I dont actually use Blender myself yet, I havent started on learning it, so I cannot come up with more specific questions on my own to ask it since I have no bloody idea what I'm doing.

Generally, if you're working with ChatGPT on technical issues, you do gotta get specific. Which is good advice for asking people about stuff too, by the way.

Also understand that the AI isnt perfect, and its database wont cover any really recent changes/upgrades to Blender itself. So if the guys who made Blender went and changed it so that X function is moved to a different spot in the UI, or perhaps functions differently, and this was a recent update, ChatGPT has no way to know that. It also currently cannot search the web on its own. It will soon have the ability to do that, but right this second, it cannot. Once it does have that ability its accuracy in terms of the responses it gives will likely go way up.

But yeah, start by getting REALLY specific about it. When you're talking to the AI you dont have to use small prompts, you can put a seriously absurd amount of text into a single "prompt". Among other things you can do. And then you can continue asking it for details or something like that. But yeah, dont expect it to be 100% perfect in what it gives you.

Also, something else occurs to me: The images you see in videos of the sort that you were showing arent necessarily only done in Blender.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that a lot of them use Photoshop to alter the actual final render. After all, that's EXACTLY the sort of thing Photoshop is made for. Like, that's its specialty, is image alteration. So, that might be something to keep in mind. Just because a given image started as a render done in Blender does not mean that was the only tool used to create the image.

The question I used was literally just this:

"I'm using Blender, how can I get the final render to look as if it was taken on a poor quality camera?"

Just very, very simple. Which isnt actually the best way to do it. Note that I dont actually use Blender myself yet, I havent started on learning it, so I cannot come up with more specific questions on my own to ask it since I have no bloody idea what I'm doing.

Generally, if you're working with ChatGPT on technical issues, you do gotta get specific. Which is good advice for asking people about stuff too, by the way.

Also understand that the AI isnt perfect, and its database wont cover any really recent changes/upgrades to Blender itself. So if the guys who made Blender went and changed it so that X function is moved to a different spot in the UI, or perhaps functions differently, and this was a recent update, ChatGPT has no way to know that. It also currently cannot search the web on its own. It will soon have the ability to do that, but right this second, it cannot. Once it does have that ability its accuracy in terms of the responses it gives will likely go way up.

But yeah, start by getting REALLY specific about it. When you're talking to the AI you dont have to use small prompts, you can put a seriously absurd amount of text into a single "prompt". Among other things you can do. And then you can continue asking it for details or something like that. But yeah, dont expect it to be 100% perfect in what it gives you.

Also, something else occurs to me: The images you see in videos of the sort that you were showing arent necessarily only done in Blender.

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that a lot of them use Photoshop to alter the actual final render. After all, that's EXACTLY the sort of thing Photoshop is made for. Like, that's its specialty, is image alteration. So, that might be something to keep in mind. Just because a given image started as a render done in Blender does not mean that was the only tool used to create the image.
What about Bing chat is it better?

That's exactly what I would have done. Of course breaking down all the subtle characteristics of what may constitutes the visuals of a "poor quality camera" is up to debate in terms of what effects to apply to such an image. I'd think that whatever subjective effects were to be applied would be done so in a relatively subtle manner.

Last edited:
What about Bing chat is it better?
For much of any intensive fan-based discussions involving complex software like Blender (or Photoshop) I'd expect the same typically negative social dynamics in just about any major social media.

For much of any intensive fan-based discussions involving complex software like Blender (or Photoshop) I'd expect the same typically negative social dynamics in just about any major social media.

I think he might mean Bing AI, as an alternative to ChatGPT.

I think he might mean Bing AI, as an alternative to ChatGPT.
LOL....oops. That actually sounds whole lot better. ;)

Then again the prognosis for AI may not be much better than that of humanity. Time will tell. :rolleyes:

The Bing Chat searches on its own, so it has more up to date info and is better? I Think it is safe to use the creative mode in it.

The Bing Chat searches on its own, so it has more up to date info and is better? I Think it is safe to use the creative mode in it.

It may be better, or it may not, I've no idea.

Give it a try, and see how it goes!

It may be better, or it may not, I've no idea.

Give it a try, and see how it goes!
It just copies pastes searches and stack exchange had my question and I asked for steps, it got confused. I asked for the steps for the noise, it got confused and added it's own nodes and then I will use an image to explain:
1682396355545.png

It told it's own issues and made a very smart search, I like this, prob from the creative mode.
And then the answer to that from a copy paste was a stack exchange question and gave a dirty solution of adding a noise plane ahead of the camera.

New Threads

Top Bottom