• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you speak another language?

When In Rome

I can remember so many words in French (which I have always been very good at), German and am currently learning Polish as we have Polish neighbours who are very nice.

Putting all these words that I remember does not mean I fashion them into sentences (although I can in French) - so I don't claim to speak different languages, I just know a lot of words.

So I was wondering if others here can speak or would like to learn other languages?

I know a few words of French and Spanish but beyond that, the only language I know is English.

I've had some funny moments with foreign languages, though. One time, I was in a supermarket paying for some bits and pieces (bread, bananas, chocolate, etc.) and the lady behind the counter told me how much it was.
Without even thinking, the words that came out of my mouth were "Uno momento, Senorita" - followed by a confused expression and me saying in English "Where the heck did that come from?!"
The lady behind the counter was amused at least.

I live in France, but not French. So: oui, mais juste. I can barely even write in French, because I find it so illogical (for me). But I can speak up to a certain point in French; just so that it appears I can speak French and do get complimented on speaking French.

I have no affliation with languages at all.

It is only because I live in France, that I feel I must try and so, I do.

My husband speak French very well and writes in French very well too, but lol his accent is far from well.

I have, up to a point, the accent, but that is because I tend to mimic people.

Going to Germany and other parts of the eu in June and so, thanks to a wonderful app, I hope to be able to speak a little of each language that I enter the country to.

I've had some funny moments with foreign languages, though. One time, I was in a supermarket paying for some bits and pieces (bread, bananas, chocolate, etc.) and the lady behind the counter told me how much it was.
Without even thinking, the words that came out of my mouth were "Uno momento, Senorita" - followed by a confused expression and me saying in English "Where the heck did that come from?!"
The lady behind the counter was amused at least.

Ah but you haven't mentioned where this was. Had you been in Kyoto for example, there may have been more amusement.

I can remember so many words in French (which I have always been very good at), German and am currently learning Polish as we have Polish neighbours who are very nice.

Putting all these words that I remember does not mean I fashion them into sentences (although I can in French) - so I don't claim to speak different languages, I just know a lot of words.

So I was wondering if others here can speak or would like to learn other languages?
i only know how to speak english :)

Ouais, je peux parler français. Jeg snakker bare litt Norsk--I only speak a little Norwegian. I listen to music in Spanish sometimes and can pick out the words I hear, but that's usually motivated by wanting to memorize and understand the lyrics.

You will love this, Rome......LATIN! Haha. I am serious. And Greek (Attic). I was a Classics major back in the day

i struggle enough to understand and speak english so i cant get a grasp on other traditional languages.
however i know makaton as i was non verbal most of my life and communicated in it,also a little of BSL that i managed to grasp,funnily enough they were swear words,makaton has no negative language unless like me you used the 'toilet' sign to tell people they are 'full of s**t;like a toilet', so i felt like i finally had a bit of freedom when i learnt those BSL signs.

I hold a B. A. in Spanish and I read, speak, and write in Spanish at an Advanced-Mid level. I've translated and interpreted before in Spanish.

English, obviously :p Dutch is my native language. I speak German, French and Italian as well, although they're pretty rusty at the moment. Latin and classic Greek as well, but I mostly read those.

Nihongo ga wakarimasu yo! I can speak conversational Japanese, a smattering of Spanish, and hello, please, and thank you in a few others. Strangely I can pick out the patterns in languages and pick them up without studying. I think its just from being hyper sensitive and copying others, but I am not sure. My asvab test score was 97 for the military, and they said I could be anything but a linguist for them. I proved them wrong as I can in fact be a linguist.. Maybe that's a factor in why I learned new languages, I love to prove people wrong...

Being a Star Trek fan, several years ago I bought a PC game called Star Trek Klingon, the main game was a story driven Adventure where you, as a young Klingon called Pok, investigated the death of your Father the night before your "Rite of Ascension", the game, which came on 3 discs, also includes a Klingon Language Lab which helps you learn how to speak Klingon, it was a bit of a laugh.

In the real world, I did French and Spanish at school and can still remember odd bits.

Yep apart from English I can speak Welsh.
Flag_of_Wales_2.svg.png

New Threads

Top Bottom