• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can we replace the puzzle piece 'logo'?

As many others, I do not like the puzzle piece.
And the fact that 'autism speaks' use is doesn't make it better..

I really want to spread autism awareness but I refuse to use the puzzle piece. Is there any other opportunity?
Or can we (autistic people) make a new One?

Please come with suggestions!

I suggest the Gordion Knott. There HAS to be some work around to get NTs interested and tolerant of our differences. If only we could make ourselves an interesting and deserving cause I believe NTs would show some interest. I have never liked the puzzle piece logo even though I love to complete jigsaw puzzles.

Why don't you like the puzzle piece?

I don't really know what the puzzle piece is supposed to mean. To me it meant something tangental, that being that finding out I was an Aspie was like a puzzle piece falling into place.

The jigsaw puzzle piece is a metaphor for something missing, and is a metaphor for the deficiency model Aspergers. Doesn't fit the "different, not disabled" message, or the Social Model theory that focuses on the communication issues. It focuses on us as missing a piece.

I also like the word enigma but don't know how to symbolize the word. Maybe a brain with scrambled connections and the words Puzzle, Gordion Knott, and Enigma, etc. followed by: Please ask me about Autism and Asperger Syndrome. (If Down's Syndrome has become Down Syndrome, shouldn't we also drop our 's ?)

I don't like the puzzle piece because it does not make any sense to me. Also sometimes they use it to symbolise that autistic people are missing something - which they indeed are not!

Why don't you like the puzzle piece?

I don't really know what the puzzle piece is supposed to mean. To me it meant something tangental, that being that finding out I was an Aspie was like a puzzle piece falling into place.
Once the final piece of a puzzle is put in place the entire puzzle is complete and makes sense. I had an "ahah" moment when I finally realized what made me different but the problem was in no way solved.

Once the final piece of a puzzle is put in place the entire puzzle is complete and makes sense. I had an "ahah" moment when I finally realized what made me different but the problem was in no way solved.

Perhaps that would have been a much better physical metaphor. To show all the pieces of a puzzle minus only one.

I do understand the negative connotation you mention of us missing something.

My wife is a special ed teacher* and has this scarf with a complete puzzle design. On the scarf all the pieces are there, they are just different colors. I thought it looked pretty cool actually. To me it suggests that autism is a puzzle and complicated, for everyone involved and not something totally explained yet. Its also suggests that the whole of society is made up of people of many different shapes and colors. And its not just another colored ribbon.

*She teaches dual diagnosis kids. Kids with autism plus another condition.

It's a difficult task trying to think up a new logo which could represent the autism spectrum.
Whether it's right or wrong, the puzzle piece is quite memorable and unique.
At first I though maybe a rainbow, but I'd imagine it's quite widely used as a symbol and it wouldn't really stand out.

I didn't know much about what the puzzle piece represented until I read about it in this thread. I'd just assumed that it represented the positive feeling that a person experiences when they find a puzzle piece they have been looking for and it helps to complete the puzzle.

Assuming that the colour spectrum, as used in the AC logo, represents that there is an autistic spectrum, it'd be good to include it in whatever image is chosen.

I wondered if using an image of a light bulb could work.

some images I've found that already exist.

489907849.jpg

484812961.jpg

463030135-multicolored-cogs-forming-light-bulb-gettyimages.jpg

4492066-illustration-of-idea-light-bulb-as-human-head-creating-ideas-shown-by-multicolor-bulbs-in-shape-of-brain-also-can-be-used-as-concept-for-problem-solving-and-out-of-the-box-thinking.jpg

Ekklesia%20web.JPG

OR

what about a chain where one of the links is multicoloured?

The multicoloured link could represent people on the autistc spectrum and the silver links could represent Neurotypicals. The Chain as a whole would represent the fact that Aspies and NTs are connected (we are all human beings) and equal.

This pic is the best example I could find. Imagine the red link as a spectrum of colour, like the AC logo
images

OR

I don't know much about the different theories surrounding cause and origins of autism but I've read a couple of comments on AC talking about it being in our DNA so perhaps an image that uses the DNA structure somehow.

I LOVE the puzzle piece! I see this symbol as positive. Neurotypicals being aware that they do not-- and can not-- entirely comprehend everything about our subjective autistic-specific experience is both kind and respectful of us. We are indeed puzzling to NTs who seek to understand us. Even in German, autism is referred to as "raetselhaft"-- puzzling. So yes, I LOVE the puzzle piece. And as someone with communication challenges, I entirely understand why we are seen as puzzling.

Autism Speaks does not speak for me. If they also choose to use this symbol, that is not for me to worry about.

Thank you for all your inputs!

I understand why you like it, but I do not agree.
I don't think there's anything puzzling about autism.
We're not mysterious, missing pieces or needing to be solved/put together. (Or not fitting in anyway for that matter)

Also there's something about the colours. I once heard someone say that it reminded her of pre schoolers and I must agree she's right. I think it look childish and not like something I would associate with adults.

I've never associated myself with the puzzle piece because I didn't know what the puzzle was.
However, it makes sense for Autism Speaks to use it as from what I read here, they seem very confused about autism.
On the other hand, if Autism is the puzzle piece, that doesn't imply we're missing something, but rather something is missing us, presumably society. Society is only complete once it accepts autism as one of its parts.

We are a part of a puzzle that may never be found. We offer so much diversity, we are a grouping of people who actually define our own individuality instead of following the herd.
I tend to like representations of the spectrum with each of it's own hues that are only ours and ours alone.
We had a pretty good artist put us together with unique styling and design that are all one offs.
I think of myself as a custom built machine with loads of factory options on the build sheet.

Sorry about my rambling rant and soapbox event here,hope it didn't puzzle too many here :p

I always thought the puzzle piece represented the confusion that arises between NTs and autistics, and that these organizations aim to create understanding, ie. solving the puzzle. I can also see where these other negative meaning come from though, and perhaps it is time the autistic community chose their own brand. And I do agree that most of the symbolism I have seen around autism looks very childish, which is perhaps due to the focus of most organizations being directed toward autistic children, to the exclusion of adults. It could also be seen as merely patronizing.

I always viewed the puzzle piece as representing the strive to put all the pieces together to find a cure for autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom