• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can we replace the puzzle piece 'logo'?

I don't have any objection to the puzzle piece - I never saw it as being anything negative, I always thought of it as representing autism being a mystery, a puzzle, and we are trying to put the pieces together to make a big picture to understand it better.

The puzzle piece can be reduced to a symbol of a brand, not the symbol of the condition. All that has to happen is for multiple organizations to use another symbol.

Puzzle pieces just reinforce the idea of being missing, confused, jumbled...and acted upon, because it's incomplete.

Every time we use a symbol, the visual narrative moves to the metaphor we associate with it--and that frames the discussion before a word is spoken.

This is why images matter.

No one can forbid us, or give us, permission to use a metaphor. That's something we do for ourselves if we want. It's all about what you think the metaphor is--and whether you think it's appropriate for the discussion.

As many others, I do not like the puzzle piece.
And the fact that 'autism speaks' use is doesn't make it better..

I really want to spread autism awareness but I refuse to use the puzzle piece. Is there any other opportunity?
Or can we (autistic people) make a new One?

Please come with suggestions!

I think you might like this:
Merchandise

This is entirely subjective on my part; I think an image of a forest would be a good replacement.
Why a forest? Would that be an allusion to the adage "Can't see the forest for the trees."?
I suppose that would be somewhat apt.

Why a forest? Would that be an allusion to the adage "Can't see the forest for the trees."?
I suppose that would be somewhat apt.
Oh, I had not thought of that aspect. That's okay too. I was thinking of the multiplicity of beautiful organisms, in a peaceful, non-obligate symbiotic environment.

When the Autism Speaks thread was revived a couple of months back, I asked Nadador in a private conversation why he uses a steel puzzle piece as his avatar here since that organization has virtually commandeered the symbol. I really liked his answer:

"I don't honestly care what anybody else has decided the piece is meant to signify. Symbols are ultimately personal. To me, a single puzzle piece indicates complexity, and implies the existence of more that isn't revealed. If that's how I see it, and how I use it in the world, I add that meaning to the lexicon by doing so. It's true to say it is a very good symbol for me, because I am indeed a puzzle to myself and others, and though a single puzzle piece appears dislocated, it is, like me, actually and still a complete entity. It is a whole piece. And I like the steel one because the metal reinforces the idea that one can be autistic and still be quite strong and durable."

The autism imagery I personally dislike is the rainbow spectrum. It's universally associated with the LGBT community, and I don't think most people (even many autistics) understand what the spectrum reference is really about in our case. I've seen a number of confusions about it right here on the forums.

Heh, ya know, part of me knew he had a puzzle piece for an avatar, but I mostly saw a little critter face. I always associated that jigsaw piece's shape more with raccoons than puzzles.

Heh, ya know, part of me knew he had a puzzle piece for an avatar, but I mostly saw a little critter face. I always associated that jigsaw piece's shape more with raccoons than puzzles.

Hahahahaha! Great observation! I never noticed that before. I wonder if he has.

New Threads

Top Bottom