• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

BULLIED BY TEENAGE GIRL AT WORK

jacinto

Jasoid
...yes and there's nothing hot about it at all.

I really have a problem. I can't sleep at all, can't think straight, can't eat. I've indulged myself and taken refuge in the comforting idea of suicide, as I sometimes do. I won't bother with even the pretense of stoicism, I admit I've even been brought to tears several times in the last few days thinking about it.

As usual, there doesn't seem to be any precedent in all of history to which I might refer for guidance as to what I should do. Certainly no one I know would have a similar problem in their own lives - it simply would not happen. No, this is one of those wonderful little issues reserved especially for me and the amusement of the gods. But maybe some of you who are smarter or more adaptable than me have indeed been in exactly the same kind of situations, and know techniques that might help me.

I have a steady job now, for the first time in many years. I work as a fry cook at a restaurant, where, through great perseverance, and no small amount of patience on my manager's part, I've actually managed to learn my job fairly well. When I applied for it I asked to be a cook to limit contact with people, but thought it wise to omit any talk of conditions or diagnoses.
There have been a lot of embarrassing failures and mishaps that at first caused me great anguish and a general dread of being there always looming over me. But I'm determined to succeed at this, and after months of unrecognized, above-and-beyond type labor, I have won a minuscule concession of respect. Believe it or not, holding a part-time job for four months is a great victory for me.

One of my coworkers is a diminutive and petite high school girl who has what at first seemed to me an endearing tendency to boss other employees around as if they were her subordinates, even though she isn't in any position of authority over them. She's not even an assistant manager, and hasn't been working there long enough for the implied status of seniority. Her and I had little interaction because I work in the kitchen, and she in the front at the counter - but also because I have to keep my distance from people as a policy (anyone looking for someone to appreciate their "weather talk" will walk away strangely unfulfilled. I'm not rude, but choose my words carefully. I'll even go so far as to feign interest - I mean, I want to be liked, but I already know every relationship I have is doomed. They think I'm aloof, but the truth is that it matters too much to me).

On occasions when this girl would talk in the same way to me I got a kick out of saying, "Yes Ma'am!" Not sarcastically...just like, totally down with feminism. And girls should be spoiled and willful.

Anyway, there's a technical rule that kitchen workers are not supposed to be in the front. But after a few days it was obvious nobody paid attention to it. It's unenforceable, just in doing my job I have to go up there several times a shift. We have to date the food, for example, and that's where the pens are.

It's also the only place to get a drink when you're thirsty. Everyone does this, and I've done it probably every day that I've been there. Even when the actual hard-ass manager - who finds fault with everything - is there. It's absurd not to, it's hot in the kitchen and I work hard. At first I'd ask the workers to get me one, but it's fast-food so everyone's busy. I even asked the chick I'm talking about once, and she said, "It's fine you can just come up and get it if you want."

Yesterday when I took a quick break to grab a drink, she stopped serving the customer at the drive through, and whirled around and said, "Hey you need to get back there right now." I thought she was being playful so I tried to joke with her by saying, "You're not the boss of me!" Like kids do, you know? Then she yelled - loudly and clearly NOT joking, pointing to the back, "You get your ass back in there right NOW!" This made me angry, and I'm afraid I did a very childish thing then by lazily leaning against the counter sipping my drink, because I didn't have any better ideas. I couldn't very well just obey her at that point, I'm a grown man.
Then the most absurd thing, I glanced at the assistant manager thinking she'd tell her to stop worrying about what I was doing and do her own job, but instead she looks at me and says, "Y'all don't argue in front of the customers please."

The whole rest of the shift she persecuted me relentlessly, watching me through the camera on the monitors they have. I bring an extra shirt to change into if I get soaked from dishes or grease, and when I went into the back room when nobody was there to quickly change into it I could hear her screaming, "oh my God he's back there changing clothes, that's disgusting!"

She did a lot of other things I'm too humiliated to admit right now. Making me look ridiculous, etc. When she finally left I asked the Asst. manager why she was so mean, and her response was that she was some kind of R.O.T.C. dorm-leader-I-don't-know at her high school where she was "in charge of all the other girls" as if that made it completely reasonable for her to act the same way toward people she doesn't even know at work.

It may be hard to understand why I am so messed up about it. I just am, let's just leave it at that. I am dying inside. I might start using drugs again. If it were a guy doing this I'd eventually say something that would show some grit and he'd respect that. But I have no defense against this, and she well knows it too.

I cannot run from this, or I will always be running for the rest of my life. Because even if I quit and go find another job somewhere else, there'll be someone just like her there, too. Likewise, if I were an adept manipulator without standards and were somehow able to get her fired, life would speedily supply a a replacement that's just as bad or even worse. I swear, this is the exact same person that has always tormented me but with a different face. No matter where I go, if there are people there one of them will focus on me and proceed to go to extraordinary lengths to convey, with unmistakable clarity, an extraordinary malice that can't possibly have any rational origin. It doesn't seem to matter that I haven't said or done anything to them that might justify it. I have watched this phenomenon unfold in exactly the same way so many times that I could probably plot some kind of flowchart or graph describing each step of the process in minute detail. For instance, the next phase of this highly choreographed routine will be the launching of an extensive campaign against me as she goes from person to person at work, expressing her dislike and hoping to elicit the same in the other and recruit them. If successful - and she will be - the bond between them will be galvanized and whenever one is able to attack me in some way it'll be echoed by instant verbal approval or appreciative laughter from the other - within earshot of me if possible. They might coordinate elaborate little schemes in secret, such as sabotaging my work area after I leave so that the boss thinks I left it in disarray. They'll be quick to emphasize any of my failures and moderate my successes - the everyday, minor, trivial things that for me are milestones of accomplishment.

In the past when this has happened, I've tried being very polite and going out of my way to accommodate them. This only encourages them. I've tried going to them with complete humility and saying sincerely that I was very sorry if I'd insulted them in any way, that I'm sometimes thoughtless about how my actions affect others. This doesn't work either, I think to them it appears contemptuously weak. I have even on rare occasions, been so desperate that I've just openly told them I had a slight form of autism called Asperger's, etc, etc...which is invariably met with a blank, uncomprehending stare - they don't know what Asperger's is, they don't care, and you're not getting off that easy (this is where I'm a victim of my own camouflaging and mimicry game - although it can't be maintained indefinitely, in the short-term I've gotten so convincing that I've completely sold it to them and everyone else that I'm just like they are...and now I'm in way over my head).

Thank you so much if you've taken the time to read this and can give me some advice. I am so tired of being put down. Tired of fighting a battle I cannot win because my hands are tied. Tired of being misunderstood, of being alone, of hating myself for not having complete mastery over what happens to me the way everyone else does. Tired of everything, really.

Every girlfriend I've ever had, when we first meet: "You are sooooo smart!"

Every girlfriend I've ever had, a few months later: "Are you retarded? What is wrong with you?"

This has happened to me at a previous job. I break down when someone makes fun of me.

There were two girls. One girl constantly talked to me like a idiot. Down graded me. Made me feel useless at the job. I hated coming in because I felt like I was so nice to everyone but they talked to me like I wasn't even human.

The other girl did the same but worse. She had absolutely no respect for me and openly complained about me to co-workers.

It made me feel depressed, worthless, and stressed out. Eventually they demoted me so I left. I've been terrified at every job after that and now I am unemployed.

I wish you the best. It's really hard. This girl sounds like a jerk.

If, as you say, this is a recurring theme for you you need to find a circuit breaker somehow. Is there anyone in authority who you feel is an ally and might be able to stop her bullying behavior? Ideally you would be best to find a way to stare her down yourself, because I think it is your perceived 'weakness' that is attracting this behavior. Can you get help from a counselor in techniques and strategies to appear more assertive? I really feel for you. I had a similar experience where my manager's daughter thought she was in charge when her mother wasn't there. She was only 14 at the time! I had never experienced anything like it before and really struggled because her mother thought the sun shone out of her! The only way to cope was to be really good at my job and stand my ground as politely as I could.
I sincerely hope you find someone who can help you with this. I know how it just eats at you! Just remember that 'you get back what you give out' and she will get her comeuppance in the end. Stay strong!

This has happened to me at a previous job. I break down when someone makes fun of me.

There were two girls. One girl constantly talked to me like a idiot. Down graded me. Made me feel useless at the job. I hated coming in because I felt like I was so nice to everyone but they talked to me like I wasn't even human.

The other girl did the same but worse. She had absolutely no respect for me and openly complained about me to co-workers.

It made me feel depressed, worthless, and stressed out. Eventually they demoted me so I left. I've been terrified at every job after that and now I am unemployed.

I wish you the best. It's really hard. This girl sounds like a jerk.

Yeah. Thanks for sharing your experience. I'm thinking that in spite of my resolution to stick it out, the only thing I can do is what I always have: just obligingly remove myself from their sight. Again. It's a Darwinian world. I hate this! For four months I was an everyday guy. Everybody was so impressed. The job sucked anyway though to be honest.

If, as you say, this is a recurring theme for you you need to find a circuit breaker somehow. Is there anyone in authority who you feel is an ally and might be able to stop her bullying behavior? Ideally you would be best to find a way to stare her down yourself, because I think it is your perceived 'weakness' that is attracting this behavior. Can you get help from a counselor in techniques and strategies to appear more assertive? I really feel for you. I had a similar experience where my manager's daughter thought she was in charge when her mother wasn't there. She was only 14 at the time! I had never experienced anything like it before and really struggled because her mother thought the sun shone out of her! The only way to cope was to be really good at my job and stand my ground as politely as I could.
I sincerely hope you find someone who can help you with this. I know how it just eats at you! Just remember that 'you get back what you give out' and she will get her comeuppance in the end. Stay strong!

Thank you Fitz, those are great ideas, no doubt about it. Thank you for taking the time to post them. I'd thought of discussing it with the manager as well but it seems to me the only way I could validly come to him as an adult male complaining about a girl, a child really, is to confess to my diagnosis. Which I doubt he'd find very credible considering how much effort I channeled into concealing it (and deceiving him).

I could probably use a LOT of counseling. I've had some, not overwhelmingly impressed. Jeez, I could read a lot about self-assertion, but not in time to save this one. Truth is the job sucked anyway, I hated it.

Thank you Fitz, those are great ideas, no doubt about it. Thank you for taking the time to post them. I'd thought of discussing it with the manager as well but it seems to me the only way I could validly come to him as an adult male complaining about a girl, a child really, is to confess to my diagnosis. Which I doubt he'd find very credible considering how much effort I channeled into concealing it (and deceiving him).

I could probably use a LOT of counseling. I've had some, not overwhelmingly impressed. Jeez, I could read a lot about self-assertion, but not in time to save this one. Truth is the job sucked anyway, I hated it.
Look I know it's hardly the job of your dreams, but for now it's probably paying the rent. Even if you can find a way to stick it out until you find something else, that would at least be on your terms and good for your self esteem!
And yes good counselors don't grow on trees I know, but there are one or two out there. And sometimes just having a sympathetic ear can be helpful. Are there any autism support groups in your neighborhood? Or any other services who might be able to help? Right now any help would be better than trying to deal with this completely on your own. Wish I could help more but it's a long way from OZ to the US!

What the NT world is like and so very, very hard for us to deal with.

I have been there so many times and all I can say is bravo to you, for figuring out that really, running away is not going to solve the issue, because you will meet "her" every place you go to. So, what it means is a lot of mental work for us to cope with the illogical behaviour of most NT's and what that is: is the ever changing personality.

When it suits them; they don't stick to the rules; when it suits them; they do stick to the rules, but fail to realise that they are so contradictory and I actually admit, I have walked out on a few jobs, because I can't cope with that attitude.

I did work experience in the returns area of a supermarket. I did not want the experience, but I was chosen and I was there for 2 day's and had to say to the boss: I can't do this any more. The environment is just too horrible for me. The banter was so crude, it shocked me. I did receive a compliment though. The lady boss said that it was a shame that I was not going to stay and give it a try, because it is my sort of personality that will make their place flourish; but I was on a one track mind: I don't want to be there! I was a very niave 22.

As for the "girl". It is clear to me what is going on, because I am not involved. She is actually insecure herself and that is why she bosses everyone about. She is small in stature and so, uses her voice to command attention and being an NT, she doesn't grasp that you, being an aspie, tends to see things in absolutes. In other words: if people flout the rules, because of thirst, then that means that each time one is thirsty, they can flout the rules; but what is not taught is: but only at certain times and so, being aspies, we don't "see" those times.

I do see why you would feel extra embarrassment, because of your perception. She is a female and you are a guy and therefore, you should act like the guy, but you are reduced because of her actions, to being a "wimp" and that is just heaping more shame.

My added burden is being an older woman and yet, I might as well still be that child. Oh, I have "grown up"; new appreciations and wisdom and knowledge is under my belt; but I still struggle with NT's, as I have always struggled with them.

As to behaving inappropriate. Oh my! Here in France, you must NOT say: je suis chaud ( I am hot). You MUST say: j'ai chaud ( I HAVE heat), because it denotes here in France that you are ready for sex. I first found this out in a situation that caused me utterly embarrassment. But, very sadly, I am very good at flirting and a work man turned up at my home and I am rather afraid, I saucily said: je suis chaud and I am sooo blessed that he did not force himself on me and a little voice said: cut it out, Suzanne. I refrain now.

So, that is, in effect how you reacted to her ie leaning back casually and sipping your drink. It was a bad move and had negative consequences and that should tell us that we must try to learn that when NT's are being inconsistant, we have to just go along with it.

What might help you, is if you APOLOGISE to her. I reckon that would be very much welcomed, because I doubt she has had many apologises and why, she uses her voice.

Last edited:
DON'T GIVE UP! You're onto a really good thing, I'm aspie in my 40s and I struggle every day with working and fitting in. So if you have found something tolerable then stick at it.

Unfortunately "she" is indeed everywhere. The ones with real power and a cruel streak are the worst.

The obvious first step is to turn the other cheek and hope that she finds someone else to pick on. That has worked for me occasionally, but other times it has been obvious that I'm upset and pretending to ignore them, in which case they just keep coming.

Another strategy that has worked for me was study. I was once singled out by a colleague who would openly yell at me in the office. The boss was not interested in getting involved so I was basically on my own. I tried to "turn the other cheek" but it didn't work. So I studied the person picking on me. Turns out they were going through a messy divorce and needed to feel powerful (they were not). But once I understood the reasons, it helped me move on. I then got bored of the arguments and it just simply didn't bother me after that. It just fizzled out on its own. I even ended up feeling a bit sorry for them.

Let's see, my reading of your post:
- you are good at your job
- the new girl, for whatever reason, is on a power trip and you are a convenient target
- the manager(s) know these things, thus the response "don't argue in front of the customers"

My advice, go about your job, as you have for months and ignore her nastiness except to note to the manager when it interferes with you doing your job. E.g. "Hey manager, I'm back here trying to do orders and cook and stuff and "she" is [whatever] and messing up customers orders, on purpose." Bosses only care about one thing, making money and meeting sales goals. That is how THEY get respect, promotions, keep their jobs, etc. If you want them on your side, put her behavior to them in those terms.

Of course, it's easy for me to say these things and much harder to do. Truthfully, I haven't had to deal with this sort of situation for years, since I discovered that a straight back, head up, blank stare is "read" by NTs as "you are about to get your ass beaten". People generally leave me alone. So maybe take my advice with a grain of salt.

I agree with Suzanne......suddenly do the totally unexpected. Be really nice and tell her that you are sorry that there is this going on. Heaping Coals of Fire as they say............

If she is a psychopath that will only make it worse, so be prepared for that. Some teenage girls can be little sociopaths and love to make people squirm. If worse comes to worse, let that nervous breakdown explode and stop fighting it,........then stop talking..........completely.

Go with the breakdown. Screw "But then they win!" NTs always win anyway.

I have to just go with the breakdowns a lot of times. I can't stop it and it teaches me things. THings I wish I did not have to learn but it's going to happen anyway, if I fake it or now.

They will leave you alone after that.

My aut husband also was a fry cook for a while and was exceptionally skilled at the actual cooking. I think, though, since the restaurant is part of a system with hidden intentions, one of its goals is to go "downhill", not serve ppl good food, and actively require its employees to go into their heads at all times. As an autistic person, you won't be able to do this, so it essentially is after ya. That's one thing:

Now the girl. What you saw about her sassy nests is probably 100 percent true. I've adored teenage girls before for the same reason. But she's got pressure from her family, school, and that place you work to "grow up" and act a certain way. So, she was being cool and joking, but now she thinks she was always serious and bitchy.

Okay, third. She's attracted to you. You are freer than others, more physically capable, and even if you look beat up, you're still pretty. With her hormones and all, you're like whoa! But unless you could take her out of the world, as an NT, she has to listen to it.

You sound cool. Keep it real and I do think you'll have a ride or die chick with you one day. Not sure how to keep the job long term...

There is some huge jumps of assumption on her motivations. Who knows why she is acting the way she is. Saying she has a crush on him or is a sociopath might just make things more confusing? Sometimes people are just jerks.

I agree your going to find people like her everywhere you work. Unfortunately this world can be just cruel sometimes, NT or not. Hell, I've has Aspies be really mean to me for no reason.

It's terrible this is happening to you.

I did a very childish thing then by lazily leaning against the counter sipping my drink, because I didn't have any better ideas.

This is not a bad response, unless you unintentionally gave off some kind of flirty vibe.

I might have done something similar, in your place, but my body language likely would have been much less relaxed (like stood up straight, arms folded across my chest) and my face would have had "f*** you" written all over it.

Because even if I quit and go find another job somewhere else, there'll be someone just like her there, too.

Not necessarily. In some workplaces, bullying isn't tolerated -- nor is simple rudeness and a domineering attitude when it leads to chronic mistreatment of coworkers.

I guess they are few and far between, from all the stories I hear, but I have worked in places where that sort of thing would absolutely not be tolerated.

Not saying you should quit -- the fact that those workplaces are out there is just something to think about. Their existance doesn't guarantee you would find a job at one of them....at least not quickly.

Okay, third. She's attracted to you. You are freer than others, more physically capable, and even if you look beat up, you're still pretty. With her hormones and all, you're like whoa! But unless you could take her out of the world, as an NT, she has to listen to it.

In fact, when obsessing about all this later, I remembered that when I first started she used to like, whistle at me...construction worker-style? Then they hired one of her friends to work there, and while I'd studiously ignored her (my pretty girl defense mechanism...makes no sense) the friend & I really hit it off to the point that when she quit a couple weeks later, she'd have demon-witch come tell me hello for her. But that was the 1st coworker I even had more than one-word conversation with. She was really young too so it was all in the friendzone.

But...I really don't think that's what's going on. As much as I'd love to run with that for the sake of my malnourished self-esteem, I just really think she hates me. I can't reconcile such viciousness with attraction. I mean, she likes this other guy at work that is just like her, all bossy & loud & complaining about how lazy whatever workers aren't in the room are so that the boss will hear it & conclude he must be of a higher caliber. Which of course he does - nobody sees it for what it is but me I think.

I hate all this. Why can't everyone just mind their own business & do whatever they do? What is this insatiable NEED to be attended to? Or, failing that, despised? Contended with, coddled, mollified, desired, people's need for attention is sucking the life out of me!

But thanks, you & everyone else, for doing exactly that for me here. I meant to go up there & at least tell the boss about it - by now he's heard her spin-doctored version of how I interrupted the flow of business - but, I put it off because I'm scared & now he's gone today.

You sound cool. Keep it real and I do think you'll have a ride or die chick with you one day. Not sure how to keep the job long term...

I hate all this. Why can't everyone just mind their own business & do whatever they do? What is this insatiable NEED to be attended to? Or, failing that, despised? Contended with, coddled, mollified, desired, people's need for attention is sucking the life out of me!

I completely agree with you there. I really wish people would mind their own business. People wanting to talk to you is one thing because some NTs want to connect but why be mean?

I agree with Suzanne......suddenly do the totally unexpected. Be really nice and tell her that you are sorry that there is this going on. Heaping Coals of Fire as they say............

Go with the breakdown. Screw "But then they win!" NTs always win anyway.

They will leave you alone after that.

I can't, she's a little girl. And something like that could have serious consequences if she gets real clever & decides to pretend she feels physically threatened by me. I have to be frightened of her. Conveniently though, I don't have to pretend because she truly terrifies me.

I've encountered people and been in situations, similar to yours before. I've found that by putting myself in a position where it is in impossible for them misconstrue what is really true is helpful in preventing it, right now she is controlling the narrative. If you take away her ability to control the narrative, then she loses most of her power. Does that make sense?

I think she's getting her reward in your reactivity. Take that away, totally ignore her so she doesn't get anything out of it and she'll tire of it and pick on someone she can get a rise out of. If you can follow Rayner's advice that would be good too.

you look beat up...

I am, from the male version of this exact same scenario. At least there though, there is a code of honor for me go by. Just me, apparently, not so much the other guy(s)...In the before time, I hated being pretty. It got me none of the unfair advantage that other males are so quick to want to "take me down a notch" for. When girls always think they're into you and, and then you watch their opinion careen downhill because you're unusual is worse than if they'd never shown interest at all. And men, if they had any homosexual tendency at all, shaking them off my six could be tricky. And if they weren't gay, their go-to maneuver what to spread it around to any girls they know that I was. In this way they can take me out of the game completely with said woman & anyone she knows.

New Threads

Top Bottom