• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Brief Introduction

Graelwyn

Hi,
I have suspected myself of having Aspergers for over 8 years now, and have posted on various other Autism/Aspergers places on and off since 2006. Finally, after waiting for the option to be in my area for an adult diagnosis, I was officially diagnosed on Friday last week. The individual was more certain of it than even I had ever been and did not take as long as I had expected to conclude that both myself, those who knew me at school and another psychiatrist had been correct in believing me to be on the spectrum.

I also have OCD, social anxiety, clinical depression and am prone to quite serious meltdowns, even at the advanced age of 39.

My special interests have ranged from Disney to Doctor Who, to Cruise Ships, to Harry Potter, to Anastasia Romanov to serial killers and criminology.

I am quite approachable, and like to contribute as much as I can to the communities I join.
So, anyway, there you have it.
I hope I will find a comfortable place here after some years away from the Aspergers posting scene.

Welcome to AC! Sounds like we have a great deal in common, although I'm nearly 60. ;)

Self-diagnosed with ASD last year, formally diagnosed years ago with clinical depression and OCD. Social anxiety has always been a serious issue for me up until the last few years.

If you don't mind me asking, but what was your reaction to finally getting an official diagnosis?
Also welcome aboard to Aspies Central forums. :)

This is one of the best places or a comfortable place to post at while getting back into the aspergers community.

Nice to meet you.

Welcome :)

I'm glad to hear you were able to finally find closure, with your diagnoses. You'll find we have a nice, friendly community here, with lots of helpful members, so I hope that you do feel quite comfortable here.

I recommend browsing through our resources section. There are some helpful books, links, and various other bits and pieces of information: Autism & Asperger's Resources | AspiesCentral.com

I also like to recommend this book to our female members: Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

If you don't mind me asking, but what was your reaction to finally getting an official diagnosis?
Also welcome aboard to Aspies Central forums. :)

This is one of the best places or a comfortable place to post at while getting back into the aspergers community.

Nice to meet you.

Oddly, I did not really react much at all. I think I had just sort of become despondent in a sense, having waited so long. I had stopped posting on forums for Aspergers and just got on with it. But I hit another crisis earlier in the year, which led to seeing a psychiatrist, who I told of my suspicians and of my issue in actually getting an official diagnosis and he referred me when I told him there now seemed to be a team locally.

I think I was more surprised that the psych did not ask me more questions. He called a halt to the interview as he was so certain within a short time, from observing me and from my answers, I presume. I am glad to find I had not been deluding myself, that is for sure, lol. There is a little background sadness that I have gone through so much difficulty for most of my life, as a result of various misdiagnoses, but I am also hopeful that maybe I will be able to get a bit more help with some of the AS related issues and my OCD.

Welcome :)

I'm glad to hear you were able to finally find closure, with your diagnoses. You'll find we have a nice, friendly community here, with lots of helpful members, so I hope that you do feel quite comfortable here.

I recommend browsing through our resources section. There are some helpful books, links, and various other bits and pieces of information: Autism & Asperger's Resources | AspiesCentral.com

I also like to recommend this book to our female members: Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

Hi and thanks for the welcome :)
I have spent years researching Autism and AS already, lol, it seemed to become a special interest for over a year once I became suspicious it might be what I have. I have Aspergirls already too :p and quite a few other books, I suppose they were both as a source of comfort and to just be absolutely sure I was not 'barking up the wrong tree' to use a terrible expression.

Hi and thanks for the welcome :)
I have spent years researching Autism and AS already, lol, it seemed to become a special interest for over a year once I became suspicious it might be what I have. I have Aspergirls already too :p and quite a few other books, I suppose they were both as a source of comfort and to just be absolutely sure I was not 'barking up the wrong tree' to use a terrible expression.
Oh, it sounds like you are bringing a wealth of knowledge with you. If you feel inclined to do so, members are allowed to add to the resources section :)

Oddly, I did not really react much at all. I think I had just sort of become despondent in a sense, having waited so long. I had stopped posting on forums for Aspergers and just got on with it. But I hit another crisis earlier in the year, which led to seeing a psychiatrist, who I told of my suspicians and of my issue in actually getting an official diagnosis and he referred me when I told him there now seemed to be a team locally.

I think I was more surprised that the psych did not ask me more questions. He called a halt to the interview as he was so certain within a short time, from observing me and from my answers, I presume. I am glad to find I had not been deluding myself, that is for sure, lol. There is a little background sadness that I have gone through so much difficulty for most of my life, as a result of various misdiagnoses, but I am also hopeful that maybe I will be able to get a bit more help with some of the AS related issues and my OCD.

You should be able to get more help with more AS related issues now that for sure that it is confirmed and of course from what I read, you must have been somewhat relieved that for years after the amount of misdiagnosis, you finally getting an answer that you may have been looking for. Anyone could easily dismiss it but it always seem to pop up in the back of your mind and it often takes something that triggers that thought which in your case, was a crisis of some kind.

Just observing from your introduction, you yourself may even be the one holding some of the answers for some of those reading on this forum which was intentionally what this forum was for but to also add to the community.

I hope I can offer useful advice and resources, yes.
It is sort of my nature to like giving information and advice but I would not wish to tread on any toes either or come across as being a know it all, lol.

I hope I can offer useful advice and resources, yes.
It is sort of my nature to like giving information and advice but I would not wish to tread on any toes either or come across as being a know it all, lol.
It can be a delicate balance sometimes, when giving advice, but if people are asking for an opinion, your should be safe to voice them. We're all here to help each other anyway, so whether your advice is accepted or not really depends on the circumstances of the individual. You can only try :)

Hi, Graelwyn. Congratulations on achieving a formal diagnosis ... though I don't know if "congratulations" is the correct word. o_O I'm still self-diagnosed, and it would be a relief to me to finally have it verified by professionals. I'm delaying the process due to financial constraints. Sounds like you have a great deal of research under your belt already. Hope you will enjoy the forum. It's a pretty nifty place. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom