• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Missing The Sixties

Judge

V.I.P Member
When it comes to music, it wasn't always about the Beatles or the Rolling Stones.

RIP, Judith Durham and The Seekers. What a voice...

Last edited:
The summer of '66 I was stuck in a factory, with no choice of radio station. It only ever played one song I liked, which was by the Seekers. So, I took most of a day's pay and bought the album. I didn't like the rest of it. They were interesting times, but three friends died trying to enjoy them.

I miss the 60s too and I wasn't even there. So that's a little weird.
You Americans made great cars in the 60s.

Last edited:
It was all out of a Clint Eastwood movie. "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly".

Living through major cultural changes was a hoot. I still recall the first kid in school to sport long hair. A year or two later and most of us had long hair. By graduation I looked like something out of the Sgt. Pepper album. Always with my draft card in my wallet, with a student deferment. Not quite a "fortunate son", but more than my brother whose draft number was 34.

Dealing with an increasingly unpopular war. I had a cousin who could have been right out of a Beach Boys song. He loved to tinker with cars and spent a lot of time at the drag strip racing. He was drafted and survived the war, but he was never the same person when he came home. I also had an uncle who went through three tours of duty and two helicopter crashes in the Marines without a scratch.

Yet the music of the times always seemed to soothe everyone's soul. :cool:

For you, Larry:

Last edited:
I always liked happy upbeat music, although from a wide range of different genres. There used to be a lot of that around in the 60s and 70s but that started to change in the mid 80s.

A philosophical question: Is the music of an era a result of the mindset of the general populace? Or is the mindset of the general populace affected by the music they listen to?

I always liked happy upbeat music, although from a wide range of different genres. There used to be a lot of that around in the 60s and 70s but that started to change in the mid 80s.

A philosophical question: Is the music of an era a result of the mindset of the general populace? Or is the mindset of the general populace affected by the music they listen to?
Both. However, since the 60's, there's been a lot of quiet censorship of anything that might stop a war.

The 60s for me was a decade of isolation. My music tastes ran from Motown, BobDylan, Simon and Garfunkle, The Byrds, and The Who.

One of my favorites:

And while I like the Otis Redding version, The Commitments amped this up marvelously.
And, I can't leave without the Queen of Soul.

Last edited:
The sixties was not a pleasant time for me. 1964-1969 represented elementary school, which is where I experienced most of my being bullied and ridiculed. The 70s were much nicer. By then, I had learned to disregard other kids' opinions of me, and to keep to myself whenever possible.

The sixties was not a pleasant time for me. 1964-1969 represented elementary school, which is where I experienced most of my being bullied and ridiculed. The 70s were much nicer. By then, I had learned to disregard other kids' opinions of me, and to keep to myself whenever possible.
1966-67 were a catastrophe for me socially as well. Then came 1971-72...which weren't much better. But the music was always good. I had to go to college before I ran into a much kinder group of people.

Went to a party Saturday, nigh 70's theme many were dressed sixties I could tell I was in high school and college during the 70's.

Went to a party Saturday, nigh 70's theme many were dressed sixties I could tell I was in high school and college during the 70's.
There was a very distinct difference between the 60s and the 70s, here in Australia at least.

I remember the sixties my older brother hitchedhiked to the woodstock festival.The sixties had louder colours near the end.

I wasn't born until 1974 which is still ancient, but the 60s wasn't that great if you were disabled, mentally ill, female or a poc. But then again that's every decade. :(

New Threads

Top Bottom