• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Berkshire autistic boy's mum refused blue badge

Geordie

Geordie
A Berkshire woman has started a petition after being refused a blue badge to help her severely autistic son.

Carolyn Fox, 48, from Tilehurst, was turned down by Reading Borough Council because son Ryan, 18, is not physically disabled.

It said it was following Department for Transport (DfT) guidelines.

But Alok Sharma, Conservative MP for Reading West, said Mrs Fox "absolutely needs and deserves" the badge.

Mrs Fox believes that requests for the badges, which give access to disabled car park spaces, should be looked at by the council on a case by case basis.

She said: "We had an incident where I had to park right at the top of the car park because I didn't have a badge and when we came out of the supermarket he started to go off on one.

"By the time I got him to the car, which was a couple of minutes, he completely lost it and headbutted the windscreen and smashed it to pieces.

"I can see it coming so if I can get him back to the car quickly where I've got supplies and drinks to calm him down he hopefully wouldn't get to the meltdown stage."

The petition points to the fact that Ryan is 18 stone, and when he throws himself to the floor "his 6 stone mum has no hope".

The DfT guidelines state medical conditions such as autism do not qualify someone for a badge unless "they are unable to walk or have very considerable difficulty in walking".

But it adds that local authorities are responsible for deciding whether someone is eligible.

Mr Sharma said: "What Carolyn and her family are going through is very, very difficult and we should be trying to help them, but they won't be the only family facing such difficulties."

According to the National Autistic Society "children with autism may be able to handle an activity such as walking to the shops one day and not be able to do it the next because of factors such as anxiety, fear or stress.

"If it can be demonstrated that these incidents happen on a frequent basis and are a direct result of their disability then you could argue they satisfy the criterion."

BBC News - Berkshire autistic boy's mum refused blue badge

Sigh. More support should be given to the unfortunate.

Yes: ABD we need to vote out idiots! The tendency for smashing one's head into a car windscreen sounds VERY physical to me. It cause terrible lacerations & a severe concussion (not to mention a fractured skull!). Aside from the physical aspect, this child does have a rather severely disabling form of Autism & his mother is doing his best. If ever someone deserved a parking permit, it is him!

I believe practices, rules and regulations should be flexed for different people with different conditions.

Since autism is a spectrum, and this boy's conditions are really severe. Such headbutts, such outbursts are inevitable for people with much more serious conditions than us, especially when he doesn't get into the car.

I hope they smarten up & allow him the badge before he gets a serious head injury -or if he gets overwhelmed, runs from his mother & gets hit by a car. It's easy to underestimate how dangerous parking lots really are.

New Threads

Top Bottom