• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic pupil's art wows professional

Geordie

Geordie
A TALENTED autistic schoolboy is to have his artwork entered into a prestigious competition by his proud mum after she was advised to do so by a professional artist.

Benjamin David, 11, could not speak until he was four and was diagnosed with autism at five.

But his mum, Louise Nel, has been amazed at the standard of his artwork and is going to enter it into the Royal Academy of Art competition next year.

Louise, from Langley Lane, Ifield, said: "Ben is a very creative boy and his art has always calmed him down whenever he has struggled to communicate.

"I have been encouraged to enter it into competitions and take his work along to art galleries by the artist Mick Bensley."

For the last three years, Mick has visited Desmond Anderson Primary, in Tilgate, and taught a small group of children with special needs.

Among this group was Ben, and Mick was so impressed by his ability that he invited him to three workshops, usually only open to adults.

Mick said: "I found it fascinating watching Ben draw and he is very good.

"He is very independent in his artwork and doesn't want any help. You can tell he enjoys drawing because he never wants to stop for lunch. He is constantly asking me if I was as good as he is at that age and I tell him no."

Louise first noticed her son's talent when he was four. She said: "He drew a picture of the whole of Gatwick Airport in absolute detail and I was astounded by it.

"When Ben was younger, I would put all of his drawings up on his wall and it inspired him.

"Ben does not allow his autism to hold him back. He wants to be famous when he is older."

His work is being entered into the Royal Academy of Arts Summer Exhibition, with the best entries being displayed at the academy's home in Burlington House, London.

Autistic pupil's art wows professional | This is Sussex

WOW! I love it! gorgeous soft blended colours. I'd love to see more of his work! Thank goodness nobody cured this boy! PHEW!

He's an artist & not a businessman: he isn't trying to achieve commercial or trend appeal. This is rare in artists nowadays (actually even for most of history). The client determined what would be produced & art reflected his tastes. The general public has a myth that art was a purely creative endeavour when in reality, it was a skill (taught & apprenticed like any other). Art materials were costly & many had to be handmade so artworks were not spontaneously produced in the hopes that a buyer would come along. Art was commissioned by wealthy patrons & institutions (like The Vatican or Monarchies) with a very specific vision & goal in mind. The artist was largely controlled by these bodies.

Where creativity could be seen was in the so-called 'starving artist' who lived for his art typically without patronage & in penury. Vincent Van Gogh was one such person. Many female artists also drew or painted for pleasure BUT these were upper class leisured women who painted mostly formulaic replicas of what was around them or other subjects deemed appropriate for women.

Benjamin David, as a person on the spectrum, will be difficult for NT culture to mould & shape into a commercial artist: he will pain what he chooses & when he chooses. I hope he remains free to develop his unique & immense talent.

I also hope Benjamin David can be free to develop his talent in art.

Speaking of which, it is possible (but hard) for Aspies to engage in commercial art. Stephen Wiltshire has led the way, but I know a few budding manga or comic artists personally who are trained to do commercial art - in the autism school I volunteer in. The school bookshop even sells their art pieces and apparel based on these art pieces!

New Threads

Top Bottom