• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Young and Adult comparison?

Superloud

My son is 7.
Autism Spectrum Disorder high functioning but
Behind on speech.
I am wondering if anyone knows of a source or videos that show someone that had Autism when they were young, and how they have progressed to now in adulthood.
I figure this Then and Now comparison would be more widespread to show how they have developed.
I seen a guy on Ted Talks, who had some videos of when he was younger, and now he is on stage with full speech giving a discussion.

I am wondering if anyone knows of a source or videos that show someone that had Autism when they were young, and how they have progressed to now in adulthood.
You found the jackpot. That's most of us.

Stick around. We are the source of information you may be looking for. Welcome to the forum.

You adapt to it a bit. The kid who was basically treated like Urkel gradually learns to be kind of formalistic, and that can help with getting professioanal employment later in life. But the characteristics vary a great deal. I think, I personally come off like someone who lacks presence. It's what I've been told before. So, I'm very stuck socially, and it's very frustrating, because I don't understand how people are so oblivious to the consequences of mistreating someone that way, for those reasons, but they do it.

There's some stuff you work-around. You learn how to ignore your sensitivities. You learn how to push past insecurities and discomfort. But ultimately, from my perspective, you are still going to look funny doing anything that requires extra focus or exertion, and people are very attuned to that. They shut you out, and it's unfair.

My son is 7.
Autism Spectrum Disorder high functioning but
Behind on speech.
I figure this Then and Now comparison would be more widespread to show how they have developed.
I seen a guy on Ted Talks, who had some videos of when he was younger, and now he is on stage with full speech giving a discussion.
My autistic friend was non-verbal when she was 7. She didn't start speaking until she was 8, and not speaking clearly until about 10. But now she's a bus-driver, and having her second baby. Her autism is quite severe or at least moderate but she's very skilled in driving a bus and earns a lot of money doing it. She can remember street names and routes extremely quickly. She's amazing.

Couldn't understand anything my toddler said, then later l listened to her audio as a toddler, and l could make out sentences. Now she is a full on writer, coder, on and on.

...Behind on speech.
That is unclear. What kind of speech delay?
  1. I am ASD1 and had speech therapy for a lisp into junior high school. My sentence structures were always age-appropriate to advanced, though.
  2. Other autistics cannot utter a word, but understand when spoken to and can type out age-appropriate sentences.
  3. Autistics, like my ASD3 daughter, have the language development of a typical 1.5yo. She can follow simple instructions sometimes, but has zero speaking or writing skills.
Temple Grandin started off non-verbal, but through training by her parents, she eventually acquired speech. It is rare for autistics to make that kind of improvement, though.

That is unclear. What kind of speech delay?
  1. I am ASD1 and had speech therapy for a lisp into junior high school. My sentence structures were always age-appropriate to advanced, though.
  2. Other autistics cannot utter a word, but understand when spoken to and can type out age-appropriate sentences.
  3. Autistics, like my ASD3 daughter, have the language development of a typical 1.5yo. She can follow simple instructions sometimes, but has zero speaking or writing skills.
Temple Grandin started off non-verbal, but through training by her parents, she eventually acquired speech. It is rare for autistics to make that kind of improvement, though.

I think Grandin falls under the category of people who are being used. How is she going to tell you that her perspective naturally makes her a cow psychology expert? That seems demeaning to me, like maybe her peers steered her wrong. I could be wrong, but it doesn't seem right to me.

How is she going to tell you that her perspective naturally makes her a cow psychology expert?
She seems happy with her career choice.
I would have been happy programming all day but had a tough time breaking into that market.

New Threads

Top Bottom