• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and its portrayal in different languages

VictorR

Random Member
V.I.P Member
I was originally writing this as a response in the thread Could someone let me know some facts about ASD? but given this goes off on a tangent, I thought it might be better to create a separate thread.

lol COVID makes people love isolation. One interesting thing in Chinese is, the translation of Autism is the same as autistic, so people always say "I'm autistic" for fun. But personally, I don't think it's a good phenomenon. Especially in China, the public is lacking a basic understanding of the group. But they start joking before knowing... Aww btw, ill look through the posts, thanks for your suggestion!!!

I want to note that I do not have a background in linguistics, and my knowledge of Chinese is limited - I took it in college a number of years ago.

Chinese is kind of like Latin in that the grammatical structure is looser (making it a great language for puns), and often one has to rely on the context to figure out the meaning of something.

One notable part of Chinese is the lack of distinction between the noun and adjective forms of a word.

玛丽喜欢吃墨西哥
Mǎlì xǐhuān chī mòxīgē cān
Mary likes to eat Mexican food.

玛丽是墨西哥
Mǎlì shì mòxīgē rén
Mary is Mexican. (lit. Mary is (a) Mexican person)

玛丽住在墨西哥
Mǎlì zhù zài mòxīgē
Mary lives in Mexico. (lit. Mary lives at Mexico)

With Chinese, you can't really invent a new character, so usually one would use some combination of characters to approximate something.

Sometimes, transliteration (matching the sound, even if the result is otherwise nonsensical) is used, especially for given names as with Mary and Mexico shown above.

Other times, the term would be an approximation of the meaning, or something related to the meaning.

I like using diabetes as an example because it shows both how a combination of characters represents something new, and just as above, we needed context to differentiate whether 墨西哥 refers to Mexico or Mexican, that here, 糖 could refer to "sugar" or "sweet" and from the context we know it's "sweet".

糖尿病
Tángniàobìng
Diabetes (lit. Sweet urine disease)

That brings me to autism.

One advantage of English is that it's very easy to coin new words and acronyms. The ease of doing so, and the limitless number of languages that can be drawn from means we often don't notice the root word.

Autism, for example, is drawn from Autos (Greek: self) and "ism." Basically, self-ism.
We can see the shared root with other English words like autonomous (self-governing) and automobile (self-mobile)

In Chinese, there is:

自闭
Zìbì
Autistic (lit. self closed)

自闭症
Zìbìzhèng
Autism (lit. self closed illness-condition)

阿斯伯格综合症
Āsībógé zònghézhèng
Asperger's Syndrome (lit. Asperger composite/collective illness-condition)

So to loop things back to the original post, and in considering that China has gone through a number of COVID-related lockdowns in the past year, one can see the pun in someone saying that they've autistic ("self closed") when they're referring to being in a lockdown.

I'm not defending that (I find it regrettable), but it's a major drawback of a language that basically sets up puns. For medical and psychological conditions, it also creates and perpetuates a lot of misunderstandings.

Last edited:
Extremely interesting! This is quite an important consideration because we are a worldwide group. Although everyone here has agreed to mostly communicate in English, the way we process things in our native languages would be important. Although we are using common words, our interpretation could still be wildly varied.

Thanks for bringing this up, @VictorR and very informative the way you were able to explain it.

I agree with Rodafina and I'm also glad you made this thread. Miscommunication and misunderstanding create a lot of problems in our world. Many prejudices stem from a fear of the different, a fear of the unknown. Getting to know people from other cultures helps to break down these fears and allows us to be more rational in our thoughts.

A very simple example of this comes from a Vietnamese apprentice I had back in the 90s. Once he got to know me and he was confident that I would try to answer any of his questions he asked me about my freckles. He wanted to know what they were.

No one in his family or any of his Vietnamese friends had freckles and his mother had told him that they were a western disease. With no other information available to him he honestly thought that it was some type of illness and he wanted to know if it was contagious.

Last edited:
While Icelandic is closely related to English, we tend to translate words directly to Icelandic while English tends to "take" them without changing them much. For instance, Amygdala is taken from the Greek word amygdalē which means "almond", and that's what most languages use. In Icelandic however, we translated it from Greek, so we use "Mandla" which sounds nothing like the Greek origin but also means "almond". This can make Icelandic a very difficult language to learn as we have unique translations of lots of words which other languages would just "steal" directly (examples include airplane/flugvél, telephone/sími, police/lögregla, taxi/leigubíll, computer/tölva etc. etc.)

In the case of autism (which sounds pretty abstract in English and most other languages "steal" that word) we use "Einhverfa", where "ein" means "one/self/alone" while "hverfa" in this context means to revolve around. It sounds very similar to selfish which is "sjálfhverfa" where "sjálf" only means self. While I don't mind the term "Autism" due to its abstract nature, I really dislike the Icelandic "Einhverfa" as it sounds like autistic people are only thinking about themselves which is a pretty negative stereotype. I tend to like our translations, and technically speaking, it is a pretty good one from Greek, but I really wish we had a different term for it.

Agree with others that this is a very interesting thread and I'm glad you made it!

Thanks to @VictorR and everyone else in this thread for the free and detailed education in linguistics!

Miscommunication and misunderstanding create a lot of problems in our world. Many prejudices stem from a fear of the different, a fear of the unknown. Getting to know people from other cultures helps to break down these fears and allows us to be more rational in our thoughts.
It's swings and roundabouts, as they say. The Internet makes is so easy to connect with people all over the planet to talk about shared interests and in the process, contribute to breaking down prejudices and fears. The downside is, these days we have people perpetrating deliberate miscommunications and misunderstandings, analyzing every word, trying to contrive a reason to cry "BIGOTRY" just to make themselves look good. Deliberately sowing divisions, derailing legitimate conversations, making people think they are walking on eggshells, once again making people fearful. Taking attention away from actual bigotry.

Also, communicating in text form removes a lot of the tone from conversations, making misunderstandings (innocent or not) even more likely. Add to that the common Autistic traits of taking things literally, linear thinking and overthinking, we can see quite a few hurdles.

Despite all this, it's great to see people on this site starting off by giving the benefit of the doubt and really going that extra mile to be impeccably polite, and in this case, sharing detailed information about potential language and translation barriers.

Many thanks.

Response from the Chinese! You give the explanation from a very interesting perspective and that makes sense. In my cultural background, I know people say this for fun is not intentional. But I can't clearly explain why people do this. Your answers are quite clear.

Misunderstandings are everywhere. Slangs' quick generations are the evidence of language fluidity. And I have to say, COVID influences my country a lot, so the public making some jokes to relax. Essentially, they are not offending others because they didn't realize that might have bad effect.

Thanks to @VictorR and everyone else in this thread for the free and detailed education in linguistics!

It's swings and roundabouts, as they say. The Internet makes is so easy to connect with people all over the planet to talk about shared interests and in the process, contribute to breaking down prejudices and fears. The downside is, these days we have people perpetrating deliberate miscommunications and misunderstandings, analyzing every word, trying to contrive a reason to cry "BIGOTRY" just to make themselves look good. Deliberately sowing divisions, derailing legitimate conversations, making people think they are walking on eggshells, once again making people fearful. Taking attention away from actual bigotry.

Also, communicating in text form removes a lot of the tone from conversations, making misunderstandings (innocent or not) even more likely. Add to that the common Autistic traits of taking things literally, linear thinking and overthinking, we can see quite a few hurdles.

Despite all this, it's great to see people on this site starting off by giving the benefit of the doubt and really going that extra mile to be impeccably polite, and in this case, sharing detailed information about potential language and translation barriers.

Many thanks.
Off topic. I found many people here mentioned that communication by text will be easier. However, in NTs' communication, body language, facial expressions, and other implicit expressions are quite important. Here is one of my projects aiming to "materialize" the feeling when in communication. I post some screenshots here, not a full version, jsut have a look...

1671891868521.png
1671891879913.png
1671891892090.png

While Icelandic is closely related to English, we tend to translate words directly to Icelandic while English tends to "take" them without changing them much. For instance, Amygdala is taken from the Greek word amygdalē which means "almond", and that's what most languages use. In Icelandic however, we translated it from Greek, so we use "Mandla" which sounds nothing like the Greek origin but also means "almond". This can make Icelandic a very difficult language to learn as we have unique translations of lots of words which other languages would just "steal" directly (examples include airplane/flugvél, telephone/sími, police/lögregla, taxi/leigubíll, computer/tölva etc. etc.)

In the case of autism (which sounds pretty abstract in English and most other languages "steal" that word) we use "Einhverfa", where "ein" means "one/self/alone" while "hverfa" in this context means to revolve around. It sounds very similar to selfish which is "sjálfhverfa" where "sjálf" only means self. While I don't mind the term "Autism" due to its abstract nature, I really dislike the Icelandic "Einhverfa" as it sounds like autistic people are only thinking about themselves which is a pretty negative stereotype. I tend to like our translations, and technically speaking, it is a pretty good one from Greek, but I really wish we had a different term for it.

Agree with others that this is a very interesting thread and I'm glad you made it!

;)

1671891905804.png

This one is especially tough as it's a nested instance of how our language works. To begin with, "bat" is "leðurblaka" in Icelandic, where leður means leather and blaka means to flutter (so it's "leather flutter"), but when when the superhero is translated, "bat" is translated to "leðurblaka" and "man" is translated to "maður" which means "man" or "human", thus "leðurblökumaðurinn". Spiderman is also "Köngulóarmaðurinn" and I don't think many other comics were translated due to how small this market is (though it's growing and more of them can be found in Icelandic). More recent translations call him "Leðurblakan" or "the Bat" to make text bubbles easier to deal with.

I don't really know of another language which bothers. In Japanese or Chinese, they just tend to use the English word (or the sound of it) directly, and even in the other nordic countries they don't do this to the same extent. Still, pretty much everyone here speaks fluent English, even older people.

Many years ago I worked with a Romanian man who spoke impeccable English, he really was very good. He told me that he started learning because he loved reading books but books translated in to Romanian were very expensive.

His English was good but his filing was hopeless, he grew up with the cyrillic alphabet and he couldn't remember what order the letters in the roman alphabet were supposed to go in. :)

In German "almond" is "Mandel".

Also: You're icelandic? Awesome!

Many years ago I worked with a Romanian man who spoke impeccable English, he really was very good. He told me that he started learning because he loved reading books but books translated in to Romanian were very expensive.

His English was good but his filing was hopeless, he grew up with the cyrillic alphabet and he couldn't remember what order the letters in the roman alphabet were supposed to go in. :)
Back at school I had a classmate who was Russian and he spoke Russian much more fluently than German, teacher wanted him to write down something in Russian, turns out he didn't know the Cyrillic alphabet at all. Could not even write his name in cyrillic letters. His parents just never taught him.

I am happy to meet so many people from all around the world. What a blessing this forum is to bring us together.

And mandel is one more word to add to my tiny Swedish vocabulary. Thank you.

I'm second-generation Dutch, can sort of speak the language, parents were more concerned that we speak English notice I can read other languages sort of as they have similar words spoken the different accents would confuse me being a compulsive reader and everything on label in French and English helps. Forget speaking French.

I was originally writing this as a response in the thread Could someone let me know some facts about ASD? but given this goes off on a tangent, I thought it might be better to create a separate thread.

I want to note that I do not have a background in linguistics, and my knowledge of Chinese is limited - I took it in college a number of years ago.

Chinese is kind of like Latin in that the grammatical structure is looser (making it a great language for puns), and often one has to rely on the context to figure out the meaning of something.

One notable part of Chinese is the lack of distinction between the noun and adjective forms of a word.

玛丽喜欢吃墨西哥
Mǎlì xǐhuān chī mòxīgē cān
Mary likes to eat Mexican food.

玛丽是墨西哥
Mǎlì shì mòxīgē rén
Mary is Mexican. (lit. Mary is (a) Mexican person)

玛丽住在墨西哥
Mǎlì zhù zài mòxīgē
Mary lives in Mexico. (lit. Mary lives at Mexico)

With Chinese, you can't really invent a new character, so usually one would use some combination of characters to approximate something.

Sometimes, transliteration (matching the sound, even if the result is otherwise nonsensical) is used, especially for given names as with Mary and Mexico shown above.

Other times, the term would be an approximation of the meaning, or something related to the meaning.

I like using diabetes as an example because it shows both how a combination of characters represents something new, and just as above, we needed context to differentiate whether 墨西哥 refers to Mexico or Mexican, that here, 糖 could refer to "sugar" or "sweet" and from the context we know it's "sweet".

糖尿病
Tángniàobìng
Diabetes (lit. Sweet urine disease)

That brings me to autism.

One advantage of English is that it's very easy to coin new words and acronyms. The ease of doing so, and the limitless number of languages that can be drawn from means we often don't notice the root word.

Autism, for example, is drawn from Autos (Greek: self) and "ism." Basically, self-ism.
We can see the shared root with other English words like autonomous (self-governing) and automobile (self-mobile)

In Chinese, there is:

自闭
Zìbì
Autistic (lit. self closed)

自闭症
Zìbìzhèng
Autism (lit. self closed illness-condition)

阿斯伯格综合症
Āsībógé zònghézhèng
Asperger's Syndrome (lit. Asperger composite/collective illness-condition)

So to loop things back to the original post, and in considering that China has gone through a number of COVID-related lockdowns in the past year, one can see the pun in someone saying that they've autistic ("self closed") when they're referring to being in a lockdown.

I'm not defending that (I find it regrettable), but it's a major drawback of a language that basically sets up puns. For medical and psychological conditions, it also creates and perpetuates a lot of misunderstandings.
i’m aware this is a somewhat old thread, but i’ve been looking up the etymology of autism in a few different languages and thought i could add some information for anyone who is interested. :)

all latin root languages just have some different spelling of “autism”, since it essentially just means “self-ism”. however, autism in a few other languages is:

chinese, you already went over this one- but they have a slang term for it (like how we might say we are “on the spectrum” or “from another planet”)- 来自星星的孩子 (laízì xīngxīng de haízi), which means “child from the stars.” i like this one.

in korean, autism is called 자폐증 (japyejeung). i couldn’t find a lot of information on the etymology, but an alternate term is 자펴성 (japyeoseong). if anyone has information on the direct etymology of these, please let me know- some articles suggested that they mean things like “shut-in” or “out-of-touch”, but weren’t specific about it.

in japanese, autism is called 自閉症 (jiheisho), which is considered to carry poor connotations. it translates to “social withdrawal disorder”, but apparently it has linguistic context meaning, “never socialize, never speak, never curable“, etc.

in arabic, autism is

توحد

(tawahad), which simply translates to autism- however, that same combination of characters (tawahad) is also used to mean ‘uniformity’, ‘solitude’, and ‘enclosed’, among others.

a newer term for autism in māori is taonga takiwātanga, which means ‘in their own time and space’. this term was created among a few other ‘new’ mental illness labels in the māori language in an effort to reduce stigma and poor connotations associated with certain labels.

many other languages have words for autism that differ from the “aut-“ root word form, but sadly, i can’t find the etymology or meaning of them, which is the cool part to me. i’d be interested to understand how the gaelic word for autism came to be. i hope that eventually i could compile some kind of dictionary to compare all the meanings, it’s interesting stuff. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom