• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism and a Sense of Time

Clueless in Canada

V.I.P Member
I have read that 'aspies' are more focused on the present moment and much less focused on the past or present. I don't think I am that way at all and am more likely to be dwelling on past mistakes or planning for the future so as to prevent mistakes or feel safe. I am not at all good at being in the present unless I am being assaulted by sensory stimuli. Do you think you are more past, present or future focused?

I have a difficult time fully enjoying the moment. I find myself more often trying to map out future plans, or thinking of happy things from the past that I may be able to somehow enjoy again. The older I get the more I get this way, probably because of more past experiences to think about, and less time in the future therefore decisions become more critical.

I focus on either the present or the past, in that order. I do have a hard time imagining the future, so I rarely do that. Usually for me, my past runs in loops and I do whatever I can in the present to distract me from those thoughts.

I focus on either the present or the past, in that order. I do have a hard time imagining the future, so I rarely do that. Usually for me, my past runs in loops and I do whatever I can in the present to distract me from those thoughts.

As I think about what you've said, I realise that much of the special interests I have are about being in the present. Some can be future oriented obsessive planning and preparation but others are more of an escape via immersion in something I love. The less I have to engage in social interaction and since I am no longer working, the less I am concerned with dwelling on mistakes or trying to figure out what someone meant. Such things are increasingly less relevant in my life.

I have a difficult time fully enjoying the moment. I find myself more often trying to map out future plans, or thinking of happy things from the past that I may be able to somehow enjoy again. The older I get the more I get this way, probably because of more past experiences to think about, and less time in the future therefore decisions become more critical.
There are very few things that can keep me focused on the moment.

I try to stay in the present but am typically alternating between fantasies about the future and complaints about the past. :rolleyes:

I am well aware that things can change suddenly and although, I do tend to life for the day or more to the point, survive the day, my mind worries about the future and so, I think of ways I can deal with it, but my past has caused ptsd and when I get triggered, I think in the past.

Time, to me, flies by now and although I am older, I see the young ones also sense time is going faster.

I dwell on the past more than I should and is helpful, and worry a lot about the future, but I have learned to 'live the moment' more as a way to overcome anxiety.

I tend to ruminate on the past and worry about the future, but I try to focus more on the present. It's very much a learned behavior for me, in order to deal with anxiety. Mindfulness is particularly effective.

Personally I find I think a lot about my past, mostly the decisions that I made, bad things that have happened, how did I mess up that relationship, why did they quit talking to me, etc. I also worry about the future also, so I do a lot of activities to anchor me in the present.

I can alternate quickly between all three.

Try to see ‘the big picture’, future aim.

Analyse how I might get there from this point. (present circumstances)

Use past experiences to consider making changes to help me get over any future hurdles.

I’d like to live more ‘in the moment’

But can get easily distracted and worry I’d never get anything done.

A future aim or goal helps keep me moving in a straight-ish line.

“Future” can mean within the next hour.

I don't think of such a thing correlating to neurology so much as simply how old one may be.

That one is probably more prone to thinking about their past than their present or future, when they get to a certain age. Where they are closer to the end than the beginning. In my own case I began to become more introspective into my 50s.

Though presently in my 60s I sometimes get annoyed at my own preoccupation with a past I cannot change.

Last edited:
l agree with the last posting. l live in the present, because the past sucks. My future might be brighter but the present keeps me grounded and working towards a better future. The future can be beautiful for all of us here, in my case, l have already been through the scary fear ride at the carnival, and l survived.

I am deeply affected by trauma, which causes me to think about the past a fair bit whether I like it or not, but beyond that I am a prisoner of the moment.

Thanks for all of the great responses, friends! It is so helpful to get your input so I can sort out the myths and the stereotypes from the true experience of being on the spectrum. Learning about how others experience spectrum life is a new interest.

I find its very hard to change from my current activity to a new activity, even if the current activity is mulling over the past or future.

Hmm... I live in the past, am somewhat aware of the present and don't think about the future too much. I don't like to plan ahead, because it breeds disappointment when those plans fall through. Whatever happens, happens, just being prepared for any eventuality is a good strategy. Or rather, be prepared for the worst, and when the worst doesn't appear, then it's happy days. :)

I'm mostly focused on my future, or the mistakes I've made in the past. I actually never live in the present, I'm always trying to reach my goals and I don't consider this a bad thing.

I am, generally, in the present moment/ focused on the present, however, like you, if I've made a mistake, or, even, if I had only imagined making a mistake, I tend to, excessively, ruminate or obsess about it.

New Threads

Top Bottom