• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

aspies and facebook

Dragon's Tooth

Lately I've been looking at the list of people on my facebook and getting a bit depressed over it. Mostly because other than family its made up largely of people who check their profiles once a month or old school friends I just added because I knew them in school.

It depresses me a bit because people who I thought of as friends have wandered off or taken offense. There is no real friends on my facebook page and as I don't have a lot of other social interaction at present I guess it kind of reminds me of how isolated I am.

Does anyone else get a bit depressed over their pitiful facebook pages? I look at my husbands some times and his is full of interesting things to see and read and mine just seems to be full of ads and posts from groups.

All the time! My facebook consists of family members 90% of who I hate but couldn't ignore their requests / delete them because then that would cause a big family arguement. The rest of my 'friends' are random people from forums I've used in the past / now, I don't really know them very well, I don't speak to them they are just there.

The only thing I use facebook for is to keep an eye on my daughter's talent agency as sometimes they post urgent jobs with specific requirements(certain looks or heights or shoe size etc). My husband has a facebook account but doesn't use it, we haven't friended each other on there because if we want to communicate we turn to each other and speak lol. He is always complaining about having request notifications in his email, he only opened an account as part of an experiment for a magician/ illusionists TV show and now he won't close it.

I fund raise for a couple charities through facebook so I guess that's why I get it shoved in my face alot lol. I only started it because I moved countries and guessed it would be the best way to keep in touch with my family (who has time to write 20 personal emails a day or week? not me ... and my family would be expecting the day time frame ... several times a day in fact).

If it wasn't for that I wouldn't have it.

I get a bit down when I post something I think is clever and no one responds. I care way to much about what people think. But it can also be overwhelming sometimes. I had to delete someone because he was so hostile in his posts, I would agree with him, but still feel as if I was being attacked.

I've learned that people only respond to the pointless stuff in life. If you write something insightful no one will care but if you write something about a celebrity or something then its like the flood gates have opened. I've just given up on any posts that reflect intelligence and stick to funny things my pets do or what ever.

Kind of reminds me that chick from cloudy with a chance of meatballs ... the reporter girl sam sparks ... where she will say something smart then instantly dumb it down. I kind of feel like that on facebook

Maybe I should start each post with Paris hilton or kim kardasian blah blah blah then get to what i want to say. then end it with kim kardasian. and see if they respond.

I had this same problem. I literally deleted everyone that was only on there for the hell of them. like 95% were bullies from school and college anyway. Left me with about 16 friends. It doesn't bother me anymore though, I'm happy that I'm not obsessed over who's seeing who and where people went clubbing and all that rubbish. Its annoying seeing all the...shall i say, 'easy' girls posting duck faces every 2 seconds. All thats left now is my fiance, the few nice people I knew from college, my 2 cousins and a YT friend, and I'm happy that its like that :)

I don't have a Facebook account. I do have an account on Linked-In but it isn't very active.

The two biggest problems I see with Facebook is one, you don't know who you are opening yourself to. There's been too many incidents of cyberbullying for one thing. Secondly, even though you may think that what you have posted is private, it may not be. Increasingly employers are using Facebook accounts to screen employees.

I keep a very low profile online. People don't realize how easy it is for someone to get information about you and misuse it. Plus I work in a controversial industry which has seen its share of terrorist attacks and for that reason there are certain things I don't put online. I feel reasonably safe on Aspies Central but there are still some things you will NEVER see me put online. We have a saying at my workplace, if it's something you wouldn't put on a billboard along the freeway, don't put it online.

Facebook friends 150+ in real life maybe 2 or 3

Fake-book, Drama-book, Look At Me-book, Drunk-book, Hookup-book, Show off-book, Alter Ego-book, Love You-book, Hate You-book "I just ate a ham sandwich"-book.

Is it 'life imitating art' or 'art imitating life?'. Is it all 'smoke and mirrors', a perfectly manufactured and photoshopped version of us?
Or is it real?
It's what ever we want it to be, after all it is OUR Facebook. :)

i have a facebook and it indeed depresses me. all the people that i went to school with, from grammar to high school are friends with me on there yet NONE of them speaks to me. Not even my own family so what i did was create a second facebook which is like a penpal page. i talk to people from different parts of the world and when i post something, i get likes and comments. i use a different name though. i like it better than my other page where no one speaks to me.

I'm in the same boat as TortoiseWrath and buckyboy14. I'm not the sort of person who has the desire to share everything they've been up to and have on their mind with as many people as possible. I also want some time to myself when I get home from school, not surround myself with the same collectively rowdy - but individually lovely - people I've just spent 6 hours with. I love having the aspie immunity to peer pressure - it's so liberating. Most people I ask cannot even explain why they joined Facebook, so a lot of it seems to be mob psychology.

Facebook friends 150+ in real life maybe 2 or 3

Fake-book, Drama-book, Look At Me-book, Drunk-book, Hookup-book, Show off-book, Alter Ego-book, Love You-book, Hate You-book "I just ate a ham sandwich"-book.

Is it 'life imitating art' or 'art imitating life?'. Is it all 'smoke and mirrors', a perfectly manufactured and photoshopped version of us?
Or is it real?
It's what ever we want it to be, after all it is OUR Facebook. :)

lol I have often thought of facebook as this. I find most social media to be narsacistic (sorry for spell). Twitter is the worst I think. But I will give facebook this as an excellent way to archive my pictures while sharing them with my family. My family lives in another country. If it wasn't for this ... I wouldn't have a facebook page to be honest. I'm all too aware of how easy it is for information to be stolen. However I have my privacy settings at maximum so it would be difficult to access my profile unless I know you personally.

Mind you who knows what your old high school buddies that you have seen in ten years have become.

It's not always true. There have been some instances where I have posted content relating to insightful things and I've gotten a couple of responses. I guess it depends on who exactly is reading the content and who's on Facebook. I can easily understand your frustration though. That's why I usually comment on the posts made by others who share standpoints similar to mine or those who post things that catch my eye (gotta admit that sometimes they do relate to celebrities, especially if they mention really hot ones like Channing Tatum, Mark Wahlberg, George Clooney, etc.). I think a lot of people use Facebook more to talk about gossip and the fun things in life rather than things related to intelligence. That kind of talk seems to be reserved for sites like LinkedIn, where talking in any manner other than a professional and insightful one is absolutely prohibited.

In general, other than major things like vacation photos, etc., I think facebook is counterproductive and not needed in life.

I'm a gamer. I have over 1,000 FB "friends". This has both advantages and disadvantages. On the plus side, it gives me a wide audience for my poetry, my homeless animal shares, and my soapbox rants.
On the down side, many of these people don't like me and might even wish me harm.

New Threads

Top Bottom