• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspergers Terminology Rant

I hate terms: you are an obsessive person and an anxious person. I know what they mean, but it seems so demeaning!
Does "You are a person who is anxious" or "You have an obsession" sound any better?

I'm not sure that person first stuff makes much different. I'm fairly comfortable identifying myself as an Aspie- in the right company. It is really identifying what the other people think. Here having an interest / obsession/ passion is OK.

I'm not sure about passion as a term for interests. It implies love for. When I'm looking up the specs for gadgets- such as washing machines- to try and work out which one to get it is hardly because I love the things.

Does "You are a person who is anxious" or "You have an obsession" sound any better?

I'm not sure that person first stuff makes much different. I'm fairly comfortable identifying myself as an Aspie- in the right company. It is really identifying what the other people think. Here having an interest / obsession/ passion is OK.

I'm not sure about passion as a term for interests. It implies love for. When I'm looking up the specs for gadgets- such as washing machines- to try and work out which one to get it is hardly because I love the things.
I think it's just plain need

It must be awful to suffer anxiety? You tend to get obsessed very quickly with things?

Sort of that waylength.

I feel that taking it away from the person, is less offensive; otherwise it makes one seem weak minded.

What about autistic
Autis-chicks...?
rampart_1_orig.gif

Dammit, the audition was held on one of those days when I'm not in a punny mood, and now I feel like I missed the call.
Oh well, back to my closet I go. It needs some organizing anyway.

Aaah delicate little flower, do you have a touch of the vapours?
I am fine with "perseverations," but that is too neuro-technical for most people.

How about Aspergynes? Aspergals? Aspergiennes...?

Asperitiffs?

I really want to do some jokey insults at the moment....
But. I'm a bit tired...

So Could you please insert your own versions of patronising insults?

Starter words :
Delicate flower
Handkerchief
Fainting

That kind of thing :)

Aaah delicate little flower, do you have a touch of the vapours?

Asperitiffs?
Why, yes, I suppose I do...
Would you be so kind to offer me a handkerchief? Quick! I'm fainting!

Nailed it! Where's my high-five? Oh no, wait, I forgot I hate it when people try to give me a high five

"Special interest" reminds me of the term "special interest group". I only use it in autism circles because it's part of the lingo. To everyone else, I just say "obsession. Because it is. It doesn't offend me if people use the world obsession unless they use it in negative terms or try to make me stop being obsessed. One of the worst (if not THE worst) things people did to me as a kid, was trying to take away or limit my "obsession".

Last edited:
It takes a lot to become a physician or forensic investigator for example. A lot of work and dedication required to make it happen. As with so many other endeavors.

Yet you don't see much of anyone addressing them as their "obsessions" either. It's their occupation.

Where does extreme interest and dedication stop to become an obsession? Is this merely a semantics argument, or something reflecting different neurological profiles? Where such words really reflect some form of ire- a "dig" so to speak. o_O

It takes a lot to become a physician or forensic investigator for example. A lot of work and dedication required to make it happen. As with so many other endeavors.

Yet you don't see much of anyone addressing them as their "obsessions" either. It's their occupation.

Where does extreme interest and dedication stop to become an obsession? Is this merely a semantics argument, or something reflecting different neurological profiles? Where such words really reflect some form of ire- a "dig" so to speak. o_O

I used to volunteer at an animal hospital. It drove me nuts that the vets and vet techs NEVER talked about veterinary medicine as a topic, it was always sports with one vet, musical theater with the other, and with two of the techs...it was about how the vet didn't pay them enough.

I used to volunteer at an animal hospital. It drove me nuts that the vets and vet techs NEVER talked about veterinary medicine as a topic, it was always sports with one vet, musical theater with the other, and with two of the techs...it was about how the vet didn't pay them enough.

I suspect that's quite deliberate on their part. Veterinarians have to pay for professional malpractice insurance just like doctors. They aren't about to give out "pointers" to those who legally and professionally aren't licensed to care for the animals in the same capacity as they are.

It potentially invites their liability to be at risk as much as your own, in the event you attempted to act on what you learned from a vet, especially if it involved someone's pet in your care, custody and control.

It looks unfair, I know. But it's a price many pay for existing in a litigious society. Which doesn't take prisoners over professional liability concerns, especially involving medicine whether man or beast.

I think it depends on whether you're helping them if you don't help them it's negative

I suspect that's quite deliberate on their part. Veterinarians have to pay for professional malpractice insurance just like doctors. They aren't about to give out "pointers" to those who legally and professionally aren't licensed to care for the animals in the same capacity as they are.

It potentially invites their liability to be at risk as much as your own, in the event you attempted to act on what you learned from a vet, especially if it involved someone's pet in your care, custody and control.

It looks unfair, I know. But it's a price many pay for existing in a litigious society. Which doesn't take prisoners over professional liability concerns, especially involving medicine whether man or beast.
Do you want to apply your knowledge what do you want to imbibe your knowledge what I mean is just to fill you not to give it away

Do you want to apply your knowledge what do you want to imbibe your knowledge what I mean is just to fill you not to give it away

I don't understand your statement/question. Though you must understand our country has a very different insurance and legal environment when it comes to litigation. Especially when it comes to medical professional liability.

Concerns that are frankly beyond the reach of the medical community itself. Unless of course it's willing to defy the legal system, which is something we might occasionally see on television dramas, but not in real-life.

I don't understand your statement/question. Though you must understand our country has a very different insurance and legal environment when it comes to litigation.
Sorry I'm tired !!!!!!!what I meant is if you just take it in and don't use it you're not going to hurt something but if you take it in and try to treat something then you could do harm

New Threads

Top Bottom